Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2012, 06:37 PM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a Tiffin on a 2007 F53 chassis with the V10 and I have read where the ELM327 Bluetooth OBD2 diagnostic scanner might not work, something about doesn't support J1850-PWM protocol. Before I purchase the ELM327 bluethooth from Amazon I wanted to know if anyone has tried it on a F53 V10 and had success.

Ron
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2012, 07:40 PM   #16

Thor Owners Club
It works with my 2011 F53.
Old 08-25-2012, 07:52 PM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towertime
It works with my 2011 F53.
Thanks Tower time, maybe it was just the inexpensive one that sometimes had problems. I have been looking at the BAFX unit as opposed to the unit manufactured by Soliport.
Ron
Old 08-25-2012, 08:25 PM   #18

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
So I've owned various scan tools over the last 20 years or so. If you're going to do diagnostics on modern (1995+) cars/truck, you'll need a scan tool... And I'd really recommend one that can do data capture and show real-time data.

So I've got a $150 scan tool, which will capture, but won't show the real time data I need to help me narrow down issues.. So I start considering a Scan-guage II which is going to run me another $160.

So I start looking around. I have an Android phone and I find a little application called "Torque" which runs about $5.00. Of course, there is a free version too, but the ratings for this application are off the charts.

Of course, I can't plug the phone into the RV, so it does require a "dongle" - or a little deal that plugs into the diagnostic port of the RV and communicates to the phone (or laptop, or Palm, or Windows Phone) via Bluetooth. It cost $17.50.

So for around $5 + $17.50, I've got the functionality of Scanguage-II. Plus I can connect to my laptop, my Android phone, and log data....

I can setup "dashboards" - monitor mpg, temperatures, error codes. I'm trying to determine if it will do Ford's "mode 6" of detecting misfires under error-throwing thresholds...

But anyway... If you've got a modern smart phone or a laptop that will do blue-tooth, you can have a diagnostic tool as well as a scan-gauge like tool for about $22.50.....

I bought this OBD2 BT gismo Amazon.com: Soliport ELM 327 Bluetooth OBDII OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner: Automotive but they failed to give me the BlueTooth passcode. No documentation and the little disk they sent has nothing usefull. As far as I can tell there is no support from China on this thing. So far not much of a bargin. If it's the same as yours would you please share the Passcode you got so I can try it out.

Thanks Dick
Old 08-25-2012, 08:34 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
0000 or 1234
Old 08-25-2012, 09:54 PM   #20

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by W4MBG View Post
0000 or 1234

Thanks. That's what Torque says and it works fine in Torque. I have been trying to connect with my PC using Hyper Terminal to get the raw data to figure out the Headers and Pids for the Hybrid Functions of my Escape and I just can't get any Pass Code to Pair for raw data capture. I pretty well have the PIDs from the Scan Gauge documentation, the math is a bit daunting but I seem to have found a translation from Scan Gauge to Torque for those, but the headers are a hidden mystery. I asked over on the Torque Forum and no joy.

Dick
Old 08-26-2012, 04:52 AM   #21

Thor Owners Club
I bought the Soliport also. I use it with Torque on my droid and passcode is 1234. I couldn't get anything off the disk that came with it, my computer shows it as a bad disk.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:39 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron2
I have a Tiffin on a 2007 F53 chassis with the V10 and I have read where the ELM327 Bluetooth OBD2 diagnostic scanner might not work, something about doesn't support J1850-PWM protocol. Before I purchase the ELM327 bluethooth from Amazon I wanted to know if anyone has tried it on a F53 V10 and had success.

Ron
The standard for OBDII is very specific that pin 2 carry the pos for SAE-J1850 PWM and SAE-1850 VPW and that pin 10 carry the Bus negative Line of SAE-J1850 PWM only (not SAE-1850 VPW).

For a dongle not to transfer this data would render it useless and non-compliant.... unless the unit was defective. Anything you heard about this, I would have to suspect the software reading the data, not the dongle sending it. Besides, many V10 owners are using them with no problems. Any '99 or newer F53 can use theses.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:48 AM   #23

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron2 View Post

Ron
Here is the data sheet for the ELM327. Page 23 lists the protocalls, J1850PWM is #1, J1850VPM is #2, so it looks like you would be able to use it. Verson 1.4 is the latest from ELM, there are some out there claiming Version 1.5 but they are hacked and not supported by ELM. If you can get a 1.4 Version.

Dick
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ELM327DS.pdf (372.7 KB, 209 views)
Old 08-26-2012, 01:45 PM   #24

Ford Super Duty Owner
Another note.. The only missing feature (for me) of Torque Pro is missing Ford's "mode 6" diagnostics. For F53 owners, this can be really useful as it counts cylinder misfires under throw-a-code threshold.. Mode 6 can be found with the following Application:
OBDDiag

Note, if you don't need mode 6 - buy Torque. If you do need mode 6, buy both...
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:30 PM   #25

Ford Super Duty Owner
Well I did it, purchased Torque and an BAFX OBD Reader off Amazon and used it on my last trip, although the outside air temperatures were relativity low (85 deg's) and I didn't have anything to worry about I was able to monitor my transmission temp's, water temp's and many other features that I am usually concerned about when climbing a long steep incline in the mountains on a hot summer day. I like the Torque App and will use it while traveling to receive accurate digital readouts instead of the dash gauges that give "middle of the gauge" indications. Also found it quite interesting to watch the difference in readings on the throttle position sensor while I had my foot on the throttle and when I was using the cruise control.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:05 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theberrys View Post
I bought this OBD2 BT gismo Amazon.com: Soliport ELM 327 Bluetooth OBDII OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner: Automotive but they failed to give me the BlueTooth passcode. No documentation and the little disk they sent has nothing usefull. As far as I can tell there is no support from China on this thing. So far not much of a bargin. If it's the same as yours would you please share the Passcode you got so I can try it out.

Thanks Dick
The pairing code is "1234".

If you read the reviews the very first one mentions the problem and the steps needed to get it working.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:14 PM   #27

Ford Super Duty Owner
Note, I love Torque, it's a well written and polished application.
Unfortunately, it won't do Ford Mode 6, which gives data on cylinder misfires under a trigger-a-code threshold. Fore Mod6, I used OBDDiag.. Not polished, very rough, but gives me that data....
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:30 PM   #28

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
The pairing code is "1234".

If you read the reviews the very first one mentions the problem and the steps needed to get it working.
I had no problem using it with Torque. It's when I connected it to my Laptop to use Hyper Terminal I had a problem. When I did get it connected the Transmit and Receive ports were on seperate COMM Ports. I wanted to use a "Y" cable and set on up to monitor the OBD2 bus showing the header info by setting the AT command to show all, but never got the thing to play nice with Hyper Terminal. Torque is a nice app but it won't show me the Headers and Pids for the Hybrid Battery in my Escape.

Thanks.