Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2022, 01:48 PM   #1

Check engine light and OBD codes

Had a check engine light during recent trip with no symptoms of anything wrong. Checked and reset codes P2270 and P2098. Anyone out there have any experience or knowledge in this regard? 2016 Vista LX, 19,500 miles. Purchased used over a year ago. Ford F53 with V-10.
jsa2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2022, 03:34 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
both codes have to do with O2 sensors.

They do make a fuel additive to try and "clean the system" no idea if it works.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 03:42 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Clean your MAF.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 03:49 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsa2000 View Post
Had a check engine light during recent trip with no symptoms of anything wrong. Checked and reset codes P2270 and P2098. Anyone out there have any experience or knowledge in this regard? 2016 Vista LX, 19,500 miles. Purchased used over a year ago. Ford F53 with V-10.
Both codes are related to the downstream O2 sensor on bank 1. Bank 1 is the passenger side and downstream is after the catalytic converter. Both codes set because sensor reads lean fuel mixture, O2 content too low for amount of fuel. P2270 is lean mixture remaining lean. P2098 is lean mixture driving fuel trim lean. If you scanned the fuel trim, it would be a negative number.

Any chance there has been a tuning modification installed? If so, and you have the factory tune saved, go back to factory and see if it clears on it's own.

If it's all original, O2 sensors do have a lifetime. They wear out over time. I would replace the right rear O2 sensor. Clear codes and test drive.
code2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 04:03 PM   #5

Both readings are for too lean a mixture and there are codes for both banks. This means less fuel is being injected than there should be. The ECM mostly decides how much fuel to inject based on how much air enters the engine. It adjusts the amount of time the injectors are open to do that (i.e., it changes the "pulse width") because the pressure in the injector rail should be fairly constant.

I assume you've been filling up with fuel that meets Ford's requirements (in particular, not too much ethanol).

So the injector rail pressure is dropping, or two or more injectors are not flowing properly, or more air is getting into the engine than the ECM knows about. At some point, a code should be set if the injector rail pressure drops to some predetermined value, so it probably makes sense to look at the air leak side of things first.

I'd start by looking for post-mass airflow sensor (MAF) air leak in the intake or a dirty MAF, and/or a bad manifold air pressure sensor (MAP). It's only 6 years old but check all the hoses for cracks, the clamps for tightness, etc. Next, I'd change the fuel filter or filters. Then, if the codes are intermittent I'd try some injector cleaner. The latter, which I have never had to use, won't hurt anything except your wallet but it might possibly help.

HTH...I'm sure others will be along with more suggestions.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 04:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by code2e View Post
Both codes are related to the downstream O2 sensor on bank 1. Bank 1 is the passenger side and downstream is after the catalytic converter. Both codes set because sensor reads lean fuel mixture, O2 content too low for amount of fuel. P2270 is lean mixture remaining lean. P2098 is lean mixture driving fuel trim lean. If you scanned the fuel trim, it would be a negative number.

Any chance there has been a tuning modification installed? If so, and you have the factory tune saved, go back to factory and see if it clears on it's own.

If it's all original, O2 sensors do have a lifetime. They wear out over time. I would replace the right rear O2 sensor. Clear codes and test drive.
Google says one is a Bank 1 *sensor* 2 code, and the other a Bank 2 code.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 04:25 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2zon View Post
Both readings are for too lean a mixture and there are codes for both banks. This means less fuel is being injected than there should be. The ECM mostly decides how much fuel to inject based on how much air enters the engine. It adjusts the amount of time the injectors are open to do that (i.e., it changes the "pulse width") because the pressure in the injector rail should be fairly constant.

I assume you've been filling up with fuel that meets Ford's requirements (in particular, not too much ethanol).

So the injector rail pressure is dropping, or two or more injectors are not flowing properly, or more air is getting into the engine than the ECM knows about. At some point, a code should be set if the injector rail pressure drops to some predetermined value, so it probably makes sense to look at the air leak side of things first.

I'd start by looking for post-mass airflow sensor (MAF) air leak in the intake or a dirty MAF, and/or a bad manifold air pressure sensor (MAP). It's only 6 years old but check all the hoses for cracks, the clamps for tightness, etc. Next, I'd change the fuel filter or filters. Then, if the codes are intermittent I'd try some injector cleaner. The latter, which I have never had to use, won't hurt anything except your wallet but it might possibly help.

HTH...I'm sure others will be along with more suggestions.
In this case the only codes set are only applicable to the bank 1 downstream O2 sensor. There are no lean codes from any of the 3 other sensors. It would help to know all the fuel trim numbers, but with the info available it all points to the bank 1, sensor 2 that is staying constant lean.

Issues with the intake air or fuel supply should affect both banks. Injectors could be bank specific, but bank 1 sensor 1 has not set a lean code.
Old 08-14-2022, 04:34 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2zon View Post
Google says one is a Bank 1 *sensor* 2 code, and the other a Bank 2 code.
I have to apologize. I am a victim of believing the first source I read. My first search identified P2098 as bank 1 sensor 2. I rechecked and it does say that.

However, after your reply, I checked other sources and you are correct. That changes my suspicions.

Thanks.
Old 08-14-2022, 04:48 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by code2e View Post

n2zon has pointed out my mistake on both codes being from one bank. Since I am now aware the codes come from the downstream sensors on both banks, I am no longer suspicious of your sensors.

I would still check on any tune that might be installed. That has bitten many folks. If yours is factory, go with n2zon's suggestions. If you have access to a scan tool, fuel trim numbers can be helpful. Fuel pressure numbers helpful as well.

Major auto parts stores will scan your vehicle without charge. Always give you codes, but ask nice and they may give you fuel trim numbers. They also loan fuel pressure test sets on refundable deposit.
Old 08-14-2022, 05:38 PM   #10

Couple things that haven’t been mentioned.

Ford V10 in the F53 has a Y pipe type exhaust. Both banks are directed to a single catalyst. It only has 1 downstream sensor (3 total)

These codes refer to the small fuel trims that are done based on the signal from the downstream sensor. Not the main fuel trims done from the upstream sensors.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 08:24 PM   #11

Code Reader location

I've got a 2005 Alpine with the cummins ISL engine, check engine light is on , bought a code reader tool but I cant find where to plug it in..........any body ?.....thanx in advance for any and all replies.........
Skyskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 11:43 PM   #12

No tuning modifications. I will do the following and hope for the best. I'll clean the MAF sensor, replace bank 1 sensor 2 o2 with a Motorcraft sensor, I'll also add seafoam to the fuel. I cannot identify any type of vacuum leak.
Old 08-14-2022, 11:52 PM   #13

tderonne: I unfortunately don't have the MH here to get underneath it right now, it's in storage. Are you saying that there is only one downstream O2 sensor? Are both codes related to the same sensor?
Old 08-14-2022, 11:54 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyskier View Post
I've got a 2005 Alpine with the cummins ISL engine, check engine light is on , bought a code reader tool but I cant find where to plug it in..........any body ?.....thanx in advance for any and all replies.........
Your vehicle does not have OBD-II port. It is a totally different type of port.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
check engine light, engine, light