Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2018, 08:24 PM   #1

Check engine light - scan said one cylinder misfired

We are two weeks into a six-week fall trip. From Minneapolis, now we're in Banff Alberta. The engine did a slow start this afternoon, I smelled raw gas after it started. And the check engine light came on. Not flashing. Just solid. But once started the engine runs smooth as a top. Just like always.

Took it to a local Ford dealer who was kind enough to do a scan and said the only thing that came back was "cylinder 8 misfired". But they couldn't work on motorhomes because they don't have a lift or bay a big enough.

Now what to do? We're headed towards Vancouver, and there are several Ford dealers along the way. I wonder if this is something a replacement of plugs and coils could fix? How long would that take I wonder?

Have any of you encountered this exact situation? And were you able to complete your trip and fix it when you got home?
Minnesota51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2018, 09:11 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to JIMBO34PA Send a message via Yahoo to JIMBO34PA
Coil and plug

Coil and plug replace if low miles, #8 is toward rear of engine drivers side. Don't know what you have and year ???
Old 09-05-2018, 10:24 PM   #3

It's a 2015 model year Itasca SunStar with a Triton V10 engine.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:11 AM   #4

I have a misfire also and need a COP, not sure which one it is yet. Problem is I will not be able to get it fixed before my next trip. RV starts/run at highway speed perfect, just underload getting up to speed can you tell something is wrong. Question is am i going to hurt anything by still using the RV until it gets fixed?
Old 09-06-2018, 09:12 AM   #5

It depends on how your engine cover is attached to the floor. It will have to be removed to get access to the engine and R&R of the plug/coil. You never know what you will find when you remove the engine cover, could be wiring damage from a pest.
Old 09-06-2018, 09:13 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
A very easy fix. Remove the driver seat, remove the doghouse lid, remove and replace the middle ignition coil ($15 on Rockauto) and your good to go. Anyone that says you need a lift doesn’t know what their doing and should be avoided anyway. The whole operation would take less than hour including seat and dog house removal.
RROLDSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 09:15 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennjdavis View Post
I have a misfire also and need a COP, not sure which one it is yet. Problem is I will not be able to get it fixed before my next trip. RV starts/run at highway speed perfect, just underload getting up to speed can you tell something is wrong. Question is am i going to hurt anything by still using the RV until it gets fixed?

Disconnect the offending cylinder’s fuel injector, but if your going through that trouble, just replace the ignition module.
RROLDSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 10:28 PM   #8

I would replace the coil over plug on that cylinder . There is a NAPA in Banff and one in Canmore. The COP's can fail. Usually you don't have to remove seats as the doghouse will lift if the seats are all the way back. One bolt and one connector is all there is to it. I have changed all ten is approx 2 hrs. Not complicated if you have the tools. It's metric 7mm or 9?32 I think for the bolt. The connector release clip is on the bottom of the connector and usually releases easy. IF you have some compressed air it is Very helpful to blow out the area before you start as you don't want any debris falling into the plug holes as they are VERY deep! Good luck!
buzz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 11:07 PM   #9

+1 Changing the coils on the modular ford engines is very easy once the doghouse is removed. There are lots of YouTube videos showing the replacement. Since the coils aren't free, some will swap the coil with the coil on another cylinder and see if the problem moves with the coil. If the misfire moves, its probably the coil. If it doesnt move, need to consider something else. To know if it moves will require a code reader which are cheap or some autoparts stores will check codes for free. The misfire code P03?? Where ?? Is the number. Cylinder 8 misfire is P0308 btw.

If its itermittent and not affecting performance I'd tend to put up with the misfire until the trip is over.
Ndrorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 05:46 AM   #10

Thank you very much for these insights and suggestions.

Seeing as it runs fine once started, and it always has started, even if the start is a bit stumbling, we are going to try to wait until we get back in several weeks.

I also want to by a great scanner and run it during a stumbling start to get some insight as to what is going on.
Old 09-07-2018, 06:07 AM   #11

I once had a fuel injector fail and had the same symptoms. Hard start and gas smell in the ehxaust.

It was under warrantee and Ford fixed it. They replaced the injector and changed the oil.
Problem was the engine suffered from gas wash and oil dilution. It was knocking at 50,000 miles and lost the timing chain at 70,000.

Keep an eye on the oil level. If it goes up, that's gas mixing in, a bad thing.

I would never drive a engine with a miss more then a few miles.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 10:50 AM   #12

Got mine checked today, mine is the number 8 cylinder, on 2004 ford E450 V10.
glennjdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 04:27 PM   #13

The symptoms you describe could well an injector leaking gas into the cylinder when the engine is off. This results in one cylinders being basically "flooded", this is why there is a strong gas smell on start up until the excess gas is burned away. Can also lead to fuel dilution. Take the dipstick out and take a sniff.

I would run some injector cleaner in it to possibly get the injector to seal. Can't hurt.
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 04:38 PM   #14

I can't help you with the motor but maybe this might help
We just got back from Banff. Amazing place.
We went up the gondola at Sunshine ski hill and Lake Louise.
That's the glacier in the background that feeds the lake
IMG_20180811_093750_011 by 185 EZ, on Flickr
20180810_092717_HDR by 185 EZ, on Flickr
185EZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
check engine light, engine, fire, light