Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2022, 07:54 PM   #1

CHF ?? 650 posts?? Help!!!

Ok I really want to do this mod, but I got lost Iím the massive reply posts.

I just bought a 2014 F-53, 18k chassis. Saw Tjay was the main guy and then passed it on to Skuderdude (sp?) on eBay. Or ???? Someone mentioned about plates and new end links???

Anyone who has a list of instructions and parts, I would appreciate it.

Also would the Roadmaster HD SB be a better choice over the Safe-T Steer track bar? TIA.
Xjaywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2022, 10:21 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
I know that sub can be daunting to get through. You really don't need to have plates, or longer end links. You 'can' do the CHF with nothing more than moving the end links from the furthest out holes on the sway bar to the inner holes. Make sure to use blue locktite, and torque the nuts to 66 ft lbs. While you are there, double check the sway bar bushing bolts and straps, especially the rear. They tend to come loose and fall off. Blue locktite and torque to 66 ft lbs. Some folks don't like the angle of the sway bar, and that is why they use longer links or plates.
Old 01-18-2022, 05:11 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
2006 18K chassis and did the change back in 2012 at 25,000 miles with no link extensions or mods used. Fast forward to today and 75,000 miles no problems encountered or observed with the bar, hardware, bushings or links.

No experience with the Safe-T Steer product. I did a driveway install of a Roadmaster stabilizer in about 20 minutes some years back. Center the wheels and bolt on the assembly. No further changes or adjustments were necessary.

While you are under the the coach use Loctite on all the fasteners. Blue should be enough while red will definitely hold everything together but can be very difficult to break should you ever need to do any follow on work.
Old 01-18-2022, 08:24 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryStone View Post
I know that sub can be daunting to get through. You really don't need to have plates, or longer end links. You 'can' do the CHF with nothing more than moving the end links from the furthest out holes on the sway bar to the inner holes. Make sure to use blue locktite, and torque the nuts to 66 ft lbs. While you are there, double check the sway bar bushing bolts and straps, especially the rear. They tend to come loose and fall off. Blue locktite and torque to 66 ft lbs. Some folks don't like the angle of the sway bar, and that is why they use longer links or plates.
Awesome- thank you.
Old 01-18-2022, 08:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
2006 18K chassis and did the change back in 2012 at 25,000 miles with no link extensions or mods used. Fast forward to today and 75,000 miles no problems encountered or observed with the bar, hardware, bushings or links.

No experience with the Safe-T Steer product. I did a driveway install of a Roadmaster stabilizer in about 20 minutes some years back. Center the wheels and bolt on the assembly. No further changes or adjustments were necessary.

While you are under the the coach use Loctite on all the fasteners. Blue should be enough while red will definitely hold everything together but can be very difficult to break should you ever need to do any follow on work.
Thank you- I will look at Roadmasters product also. Appreciate the info.
Old 01-19-2022, 08:22 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Larry,

The info you received is spot on. I won't go into all the explanations, but the CHF will help a great deal with the ride and handling. As stated, just move the link bolts, and all will be well. We also have the Vista 18,000 LB chassis.

The roadmaster stabilizer bar is the next MOD that will also improve the ride and handling.

After 45,000 miles we got new TOYO tires and like them much better than the stock GY. Softer ride and a much lower price. I'm also a fan of the Centramatic balancers.
Old 01-19-2022, 09:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
Larry,

The info you received is spot on. I won't go into all the explanations, but the CHF will help a great deal with the ride and handling. As stated, just move the link bolts, and all will be well. We also have the Vista 18,000 LB chassis.

The roadmaster stabilizer bar is the next MOD that will also improve the ride and handling.

After 45,000 miles we got new TOYO tires and like them much better than the stock GY. Softer ride and a much lower price. I'm also a fan of the Centramatic balancers.
TEJAY....Question: does it make sense to add the Centramatics on the existing tires?
Old 01-19-2022, 02:09 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Larry,
I like the science and concept of the Centramatics. To always balance your tires even if you picked up a rock somehow it would adjust for it. What if you hit a chunk of scrap metal and it tore a chunk of rubber from the tire? It would try to balance it.

I'm familiar with all types of balancing machines. I started using a bubble balance. Then a Hunter spin balancer. Then computer balancers and finally (RFB) road force balancers.

By the way if bubble balancing is done correctly it's great. The problem is to do it correctly which does take some knowledge. I can explain it if you need me to.

The RFB machines check to see if the sidewalls are supporting the road tread equally all the way around the tire. Pretend instead of a rubber side wall there are say 1/2" compression springs placed on the side and all the way around the tire. That's what the side walls do. They support all the weight. What if for some reason the side wall was 10% thinner in a 2" width of the sidewall. The thinner sidewall tread would compress more when hitting a bump. I do believe they do have a place in tire balancing but only after all else fails.

I don't work in a shop that uses a RFB machine, so I don't know how often tires do have that issue or require the RFB.

Several long-haul truckers have reported from time to time on the forum and they swear by the Centramatics.

I've read some about this before. Some tires can be so far out of balance the Centramatics can't bring them back in. When we bought 6 new tires about a year ago, I spoke to the tire balancer and asked him this. If the tire is way out, please get a different tire. He said he would. It's also not in their best interest to put a tire that is too far out of balance. It more than likely would come back to haunt them.

I also told him I wanted to use my balancers, so I asked him to not try to get them perfect but just close and I'd rely on the Centramatics to do the final balance. This was a large truck shop in OK, so I knew they were familiar with the balancers. I also watched them do the balancing.
Old 01-19-2022, 02:26 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xjaywalker View Post
Ok I really want to do this mod, but I got lost I’m the massive reply posts.

I just bought a 2014 F-53, 18k chassis. Saw Tjay was the main guy and then passed it on to Skuderdude (sp?) on eBay. Or ???? Someone mentioned about plates and new end links???

Anyone who has a list of instructions and parts, I would appreciate it.

Also would the Roadmaster HD SB be a better choice over the Safe-T Steer track bar? TIA.
Had a 2020 Canyon Star with F53 26,000. I can comment on the Safe-T Steer trac bar. It was a game changer. Eliminated any wagging when trucks passed and helped a heck of a lot with leaning. For me it was the best suspension upgrade I did. Easy driveway install as well.
Mighty_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 02:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_J View Post
Had a 2020 Canyon Star with F53 26,000. I can comment on the Safe-T Steer trac bar. It was a game changer. Eliminated any wagging when trucks passed and helped a heck of a lot with leaning. For me it was the best suspension upgrade I did. Easy driveway install as well.
Thank you Mighty J...ordered one yesterday. Thank you
Old 01-19-2022, 02:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryStone View Post
So no need to support the chassis or ?. I just got the nuts loose and the bolts seem pretty snug. Just hammer them out? Seems too easy
Old 01-19-2022, 04:26 PM   #12

OK...All done. Thanks all.
Old 01-19-2022, 05:32 PM   #13
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club