Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2016, 07:54 AM   #1

CHF and installation of safe T Plus

Picking up new Winnebago 30BE and want to do both the CHF and safe T Plus unit. My question is should I do the CHF first or the safe T Plus first or does it really matter which one I do first? Thanks for feed back. This is our first Class A and reading through hours of post the general consensus favors the CHF on the F-53 chassis.
Vandave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2016, 09:23 AM   #2

Hello?
Vandave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 09:52 AM   #3

Either one or both at the same time.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 09:57 AM   #4

Why do either until you get a few thousand miles under your belt to see if you really need them? Yes, I did a SafeTPlus, but only after 5,000 miles, and I know it has a safety factor so up to you.

But as for the CHF, wait and see what YOU think, not anyone else's perception. I see no need for the CHF at all on our coach, which is not the same as yours, as all Coaches are different. And yes, I understand exactly what it does as I have done full suspensions on 2 sport cars.......
Betr2Trvl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 10:25 AM   #5

First thing is to drive the coach and make sure the steering wheel is straight when your going down the road, does the coach pull to one side? If it is not get it corrected before taking delivery. Find out what the tire pressures are before leaving the lot, There is a placard inside with recommended tire pressures for an unweighed coach. Drive it and get a feel for it. If your a first time RV driver spend some time behind the wheel to get used to the coach. In my experience the cheap handling fix will improve any coach you perform it on. All it takes is some time and tools. For aftermarket add ons drive the coach and determine any areas that need improvement based on your experience. I have a Roadmaster RSSA on my coach now does the same thing as a Safe T plus about half the price. I drove the coach about 5000 miles before installing the RSSA. I drove it home from the dealer before doing the CHF.
z3406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 10:32 AM   #6

I installed the safeTplus after three thousand miles, and it made a difference in
steering control.Two thousand miles later I did the chf, which helped with cross winds,
trucks passing,and sway.Both added something different to my handling.Since I have added new shocks, and sumo springs my ride and handling couldn't be better.Hope this
helps.
purrin along is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 10:34 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Personally I would do the CHF first based on the cost, presuming you do the work yourself. If you don't like the effect easy to restore to original configuration and move on from there.

When making changes to the chassis in search of a better ride or control start out based on cost and wait a while between each addition to judge the effect and if further effort is needed to get the coach to behave how you want it. There's a lot of bolt on stuff for a chassis and cost ranges from free (correct tire pressure/CHF) to several thousand dollars (Kelderman airbag suspension).
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 10:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by z3406 View Post
First thing is to drive the coach and make sure the steering wheel is straight when your going down the road, does the coach pull to one side? If it is not get it corrected before taking delivery. Find out what the tire pressures are before leaving the lot, There is a placard inside with recommended tire pressures for an unweighed coach. Drive it and get a feel for it. If your a first time RV driver spend some time behind the wheel to get used to the coach. In my experience the cheap handling fix will improve any coach you perform it on. All it takes is some time and tools. For aftermarket add ons drive the coach and determine any areas that need improvement based on your experience. I have a Roadmaster RSSA on my coach now does the same thing as a Safe T plus about half the price. I drove the coach about 5000 miles before installing the RSSA. I drove it home from the dealer before doing the CHF.
x2
Old 11-15-2016, 12:15 PM   #9

According to "Safe T Plus", it works to prevent lose of control in;

Severe Side Winds

Pot Holes

Shock From Front-Tire Blowouts

Pavement Drops

Road Ruts and Bumps

Passing Tractor-Trailers

Why would someone, who feels they need this kind of SAFETY enhancment, wait 5000 or more miles to install it ?

As far as the CHF, any help in keeping the big box pointed straight down the road, for free, is worth doing.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 12:50 PM   #10

The design of the front suspension in any modern vehicle provides those enhancement. The caster built into the wheels provided self centering, The power steering provides insulation from potholes, blowouts and the ability to overcome severe stresses on the front end from circumstances such as a blowout. If he thinks the coach is unsafe in the as delivered condition why would he or anyone else buy something in that condition? I put the RSSA on my coach mostly out of curiosity. I read a lot of claims about what a steering stabilizer would do for the steering of an F53 coach. Around town you can't really tell it is there. On the highway it's biggest safety aspect is reducing the fatigue level of the driver after a day behind the wheel. My #1 suggestion to the OP is look at this video
z3406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 04:51 PM   #11

This person is making the rounds. He/she sent me the same question via PM on RV.NET. I'll answer here instead. I say do nothing until you have taken a trip or two and see how it handles. If you don't like it, I would go for cheap and do CHF first. Then drive again.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 08:26 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Absolutely correct information. When any MOD is performed generally speaking each coach will respond slightly different or even greatly different depending on all the variables. There's really not fix that will fit all. Of all the MODS out there the only one that comes closest to that is the CHF. Very few will not notice a significant improvement.

The best advice is do only ONE MOD at a time. Then do a good test drive of at least several hundred miles under some adverse conditions.

On of the MODS that I did was a bit different. I installed a DIY steering shock and was asked several times how much of a difference I noticed. For some time I really couldn't come up with an answer. After I thought about it this is what finally dawned on me.

With a shock mounted horizontally and dampening the steering wheel movement the same in both directions while steering I was moving the steering wheel slowly and the shock just compressed as it's supposed to do. I didn't feel any resistance or any difference in how it handled or steered.

However if a sudden gust of wind tried to moved the wheel or coach quickly the shock dampened that movement and I felt nothing. The shock was dampening any sudden force trying to move the front wheels. That means the shock was doing it's job. It only works when something is trying to compress the shock quickly in either direction. The rest of the time the power steering is making it easy to turn the steering wheel and you feel nothing.

Tags
install