Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2023, 01:05 AM   #1

Class A on a 1996 F53, E4OD seems to slip between 1st and 2nd

Hello, I'm trying to get a handle on what needs to be done to fix a problem with my RV. It's a 1997 Rexhall, 36' with a tag axle. It weighs about 20k, and we always flat-tow a small Sidekick. So, it's on the heavier side of what this chassis should probably be. The chassis IS a 1996, even though the RV is a '97. The transmission is an E4OD. The problem started happening at about 37k miles, it's now got 75k.
For several years the transmission would occasionally slip between 1st and 2nd after getting off the highway to refuel, only when hot from driving for a while. It's otherwise reliable, the 460 still runs like new, the transmission shifts fine except for that 1-2 shift (and usually only when hot). If I keep on the throttle while it's slipping and try to force it, it will shudder a bit and sometimes will make a loud grinding noise until I let off on the throttle. To keep this from happening I'll let off the throttle and it will shift into 3rd (or maybe OD), and will slowly get up to speed.
I believe I have also forced it to be in 1st when it decided to do this on a hill and no slippage while in manual shift.
I often use manual shift to keep the brakes cool on very steep hills, usually 3rd but a couple of times 2nd. No slippage.
The problem only happens between about 15 to 25mph.
I've been reading other threads trying to figure out if anyone has had similar issues, but so far haven't really found any.
On the trip that this first occurred on, when we got to our destination I changed the fluid and filter. I made sure that the filter was the correct one. I did that one more time and replaced the solenoid pack with a reman, which seemed to clear it up for a while, but now it's happening again and more often.

Where should I look? Is there any troubleshooting that I can do to narrow this down? We live in this full-time, it's a great rig. If I have to replace the transmission, then so be it. But I've also read threads where someone rebuilt their transmission 3x and started looking into sensors instead. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
questvent is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2023, 06:43 PM   #2

The first step is always to read the codes. Here is how: www.troublecodes.net/ford
Old 03-23-2023, 03:06 PM   #3

If you have already changed the fluid and filter can you remember if the fluid was burnt smelling or cherry red. Was there any material in the pan, not very fine metal filings which is normal. The material will look fibreous and may even look like burnt paper. If there was no large chunks of metal or plastic in the pan we will move on to other possibilities. Ford was very particular about what fluid is used on fluid replacement. Make sure that Ford doesn't recommend a friction modifier be added to the fluid. At this point you might be able to install or have someone install a shift improver kit in the trans.
Old 03-23-2023, 05:50 PM   #4

So you need to get your own obd2 scanner.. one with good book.. look at live data.. one idea.. just a flying guess.. so take this with large grain of salt.. so before rushing out and getting new trans.. pull ecm. And open it up.. check capacitors.. if you post a picture of the capacitors we can tell you if bad.. also this sounds stupid.. but go ahead and clean throttle body.. pull tb. Off and really clean.. use toothbrush and cleaner.. while out.. for 50 bucks change the throttle position sensor.. just keep old one for spare..
Ofcouse engine needs to be in top tune.. New plug wires, plugs.. cap and rotor.. clean egr valve.. no vacuum leaks.. you will need to do this anyway even if you replace trans..
I think trans is toast.. if you can do install.. look at TCI trans.. or monster transmission.. if you go that route get their torque converter too.. flush trans cooler.. I would add a trans oil temp gauge.. that needs to be done even if you keep old one.. you need to keep track of the trans oil temp anyway
Good luck and keep us posted .
Old 03-23-2023, 06:24 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by donr103 View Post
So you need to get your own obd2 scanner.. one with good book.
OP RV is OBD1 and not obd2.

He needs this code reader from amazon or an auto parts store:

Her it is on amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/INNOVA-3145-F...s%2C479&sr=8-5
/
subford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 07:45 PM   #6

I got that one.. in fact 2 of them for my van.. I could not remember when Ford changed from odb1 to odb2 on rv chassis.. but yes.. that is definitely the one to have.. comes with book.. and performs injector testing.. I love mine.. and yes.. back in 1993 I bought brand new e150 and still my daily driver.. Hi.. subford. I was hoping you would chime in.. I try yo read as many as your posts that I can.. and the ones on Ford truck forums..
Good luck and keep us posted
Old 03-29-2023, 01:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredV View Post
If you have already changed the fluid and filter can you remember if the fluid was burnt smelling or cherry red. Was there any material in the pan, not very fine metal filings which is normal. The material will look fibreous and may even look like burnt paper. If there was no large chunks of metal or plastic in the pan we will move on to other possibilities. Ford was very particular about what fluid is used on fluid replacement. Make sure that Ford doesn't recommend a friction modifier be added to the fluid. At this point you might be able to install or have someone install a shift improver kit in the trans.
Sorry I've been absent, I'll be more on it now. I appreciate the help that y'all are giving me.
The fluid did smell what I thought to be a burnt smell the first time. I think the fluid was darker red, not cherry red. I'll have to look up the video that I took at the time to check my memory. There wasn't any fibrous material in the pan at the time, there were very fine metal filings on the magnet both times which I cleaned out. No plastic at all, which I assume would have floated. At the time I called Ford's help line and they gave me a specific fluid type, which I use just for the transmission.
Old 03-29-2023, 01:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
The first step is always to read the codes. Here is how: www.troublecodes.net/ford
I've got an OBD-I reader, I haven't used it for a while. I'll get it out and see what I can find from it.
Old 03-29-2023, 02:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by donr103 View Post
So you need to get your own obd2 scanner.. one with good book.. look at live data.. one idea.. just a flying guess.. so take this with large grain of salt.. so before rushing out and getting new trans.. pull ecm. And open it up.. check capacitors.. if you post a picture of the capacitors we can tell you if bad.. also this sounds stupid.. but go ahead and clean throttle body.. pull tb. Off and really clean.. use toothbrush and cleaner.. while out.. for 50 bucks change the throttle position sensor.. just keep old one for spare..
Ofcouse engine needs to be in top tune.. New plug wires, plugs.. cap and rotor.. clean egr valve.. no vacuum leaks.. you will need to do this anyway even if you replace trans..
I think trans is toast.. if you can do install.. look at TCI trans.. or monster transmission.. if you go that route get their torque converter too.. flush trans cooler.. I would add a trans oil temp gauge.. that needs to be done even if you keep old one.. you need to keep track of the trans oil temp anyway
Good luck and keep us posted .
The engine is more likely due for a basic tune-up, new plugs and wires. I've fixed a vacuum leak on the T connection that comes off the PCV to the dump canisters, and I can see some more areas that probably could use new vacuum lines. The engine has always been awesome, the PO kept it in great condition and it has always started and ran good and strong. I don't mind pulling and cleaning the TB and changing the TPS out, I've read that can cause the ECM to behave erratically and it would be good to have a spare.
As always, thanks for the suggestions.
Old 03-29-2023, 02:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by subford View Post
OP RV is OBD1 and not obd2.

He needs this code reader from amazon or an auto parts store:

Her it is on amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/INNOVA-3145-F...s%2C479&sr=8-5
/
I've got that exact one, probably recommended by you when I was having fuel pressure issues (ended up being the fuel pump about 4 or 5 years ago). I'll get it connected and see what the ECM says when we get ready to move again.
Old 03-29-2023, 02:33 PM   #11

This is from my notes from the first time I changed the fluid, after talking to Ford's help line:
Transmission filter: Motorcraft #YC3Z-7A098-BA
What type of transmission fluid do I use? Part number XT-2QDX, or 'Mercon V'.
How much fluid do I need to buy? 16.4 quarts.
When I changed the fluid that first time, I pulled the plug and drained the TC, tried to blow out the lines to the coolers as best I could.
The 2nd time I didn't blow out the lines, I was mainly trying to get at and replace the solenoid pack and changed the fluid and filter while I was at it.
Old 03-31-2023, 07:50 PM   #12

You might want to try raising the line pressure in the transmission, to firm up the shifts
I was unhappy with the soft shifts in my E4OD and developed this voltage divider to increase line pressure. It will not disturb or set codes in the EEC-IV.

Note.
There is a misprint in the schematic. It should read 5 ohms for both resistors, NOT 5K ohms

Richard
Old 04-04-2023, 12:47 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by House Husband View Post
You might want to try raising the line pressure in the transmission, to firm up the shifts
I was unhappy with the soft shifts in my E4OD and developed this voltage divider to increase line pressure. It will not disturb or set codes in the EEC-IV.

Richard
Thanks, I'll keep that option in mind. I gotta say, I'm not totally sure if I'm brave enough to start hacking my transmission. I don't mind hacking some things. But that's just a REALLY integral part of my life ATM and I don't know if hacking it is for me. But never know...

Right now I'm getting ready to install a trans temp gauge and 7" fan on the aux cooler. I figure if the temps are getting high I can flip a switch and help cool it down.

I can't really test anything where I'm at, the only paved road for miles and miles is a busy highway. We're moving to a resort in town in a few days, I can test it more and have an update after that.

As a side note, I just read that the E-Brake has fluid in it that has to be checked? How have I never heard that before? And if it gets low it will overheat? And that's on the tail-shaft, which I think is closest to the 1-2 gears, right?
Old 04-04-2023, 09:05 AM   #14

The emergency is exterior to the transmission and doesn't relate to your issues. It does hold a few ounces of fluid and woe betide those who leak and run out as it self destructs in short order and gets fairly expensive. You can check the level to know but thereafter a better regular check is just to look at the area to check for any dampness signifying the beginnings of a leak.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1996, class a, e4od, f53, ford, rexhall