Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2021, 03:27 PM   #1

Coach Battery Hooked up wrong

I put out a post on this last year. I hooked up the house batteries on my 2000 Winnebago Adventurer 35U backwards. It is actually a 1999 F53 chassis with the ford V10.
I drove the RV home from it's storage location but it didn't have much power. When home, I found that a battery terminal on the house battery had melted off, then realized I screwed up.
I replaced all the batteries for coach and truck side. But, still wouldn't run right. Got engine codes showing all the fuel injectors were faulty. Checked with mechanic who said it wouldn't be those all failing at once. He suggested I replace the PCM which might have been fried by my stupidity.
I just did that yesterday and got the engine to start and it idled great, until I put it in gear. Sputtered and died. Re-started and same thing.
I don't have much knowledge about this and have called several RV shops and repair places. Non work on the chassis side of the RV.
If anyone knows of a place near Everett Washington that works on RV chassis issues on a Ford, please let me know. Thanks
badbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2021, 08:38 PM   #2

Ouch that sounds bad.

Family has used Fleet Service in Everett for RV work in the past. https://fleetserviceauto.com/
mack73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 10:36 PM   #3

sputters and dies

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbird View Post
I put out a post on this last year. I hooked up the house batteries on my 2000 Winnebago Adventurer 35U backwards. It is actually a 1999 F53 chassis with the ford V10.
I drove the RV home from it's storage location but it didn't have much power. When home, I found that a battery terminal on the house battery had melted off, then realized I screwed up.
I replaced all the batteries for coach and truck side. But, still wouldn't run right. Got engine codes showing all the fuel injectors were faulty. Checked with mechanic who said it wouldn't be those all failing at once. He suggested I replace the PCM which might have been fried by my stupidity.
I just did that yesterday and got the engine to start and it idled great, until I put it in gear. Sputtered and died. Re-started and same thing.
I don't have much knowledge about this and have called several RV shops and repair places. Non work on the chassis side of the RV.
If anyone knows of a place near Everett Washington that works on RV chassis issues on a Ford, please let me know. Thanks
So it sounds like whats happening is the converter is going into lock up. I suspect you either got a wrong PCM or that the PCM you purchased was "rebuilt" and that it originally had a same issue but was not caught when they "rebuilt" it. A repair tech will need to monitor the data with the engine running and then putting it in gear, or in fact there may be melted wires within the harness, however the reason I believe its the pcm is due to you drove the vehicle with all the previous damage and it was not doing it then. Try to find a good Ford Drivability tech that has experience with Ford trucks, the F-53 chassis is nothing more than a F-450. Whoever you get has got to be able to read live data. Hope it all works well for you
Old 03-09-2021, 11:55 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coach has reverse polarity protection FUSESat CONVERTER; suspect engine has something; visible links, etc. Maybe blown?
Old 03-10-2021, 12:00 AM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Google "F53 reverse polarity protection", you may find all your answers?

Tags
battery