Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2015, 10:55 PM   #1

Colored Plastic Vacuum Lines

Has anyone found a good source for the colored plastic vacuum lines that go to the in-dash HVAC/Defroster? The ones in my 2001 Winnebago Adventurer have started to split lengthwise and are turning to powder. I believe I will need long lengths of at least red, blue, green and yellow of these thin hard plastic lines which no local parts store I have been to yet has ever seen before.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2015, 06:40 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
You might give EVENS a call and see if they can send you some.
- Phone 616-361-2681
subford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 07:09 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
Has anyone found a good source for the colored plastic vacuum lines that go to the in-dash HVAC/Defroster? The ones in my 2001 Winnebago Adventurer have started to split lengthwise and are turning to powder. I believe I will need long lengths of at least red, blue, green and yellow of these thin hard plastic lines which no local parts store I have been to yet has ever seen before.
NeilV
Most auto part stores sell thin hard plastic black vacuum hose by the foot.
You don't need different colors to operate your heater/dash air vent doors...

BTW, even soft black vacuum hose works, (as does clear aquarium air hose).

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 07:13 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
NeilV
Most auto part stores sell small black vacuum hose by the foot.
You don't need diferent colors to operate your heater/dash air vent doors.
Mel
'96 Safari
You do have to be careful you do not use hose that will collapse under a vacuum.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 11:03 AM   #5

When I said the no local parts stores I have been to carry this line that included all colors including plain black or clear. I brought the sample that broke off in my fingers the moment I touched it with me and they just stare and say they have never see that before.

On the Ford forums I see that many people have had to make do with something else do to the lack of availability of the automotive grade product even though Ford has been using it for some years in everything from Bronco's to Mustangs.
Old 01-06-2015, 02:19 PM   #6

If you can't find the colored lines, I would get clear lines of the same diameter then get some paint of each color involved to dab on each end of the line where it makes it's connection.

Just a suggestion...good luck

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 02:55 PM   #7

Quote:
When I said the no local parts stores I have been to carry this line that included all colors including plain black or clear. I brought the sample that broke off in my fingers the moment I touched it with me and they just stare and say they have never see that before.
On the Ford forums I see that many people have had to make do with something else do to the lack of availability of the automotive grade product even though Ford has been using it for some years in everything from Bronco's to Mustangs.
Nearly every automaker has been using small vacuum hoses for 40-50 years.
As I said any auto parts store will have a rolls of various size "black vacuum hose" and sell it by the foot.
(If it's brittle don't buy it.... go to a different store)
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 01-07-2015, 10:37 AM   #8

It's called 5/32" OD Hard Vacuum Tubing and 4 local stores so far have not had it in black or any other color. Full spec is Hard Polyurethane Vacuum Tubing with 5/32" OD, 3/32" ID and a .031" wall thickness.
Old 01-07-2015, 11:22 AM   #9

Quote:
It's called 5/32" OD Hard Vacuum Tubing and 4 local stores so far have not had it in black or any other color. Full spec is Hard Polyurethane Vacuum Tubing with 5/32" OD, 3/32" ID and a .031" wall thickness.
NeilV
Do you have a local NAPA Auto Parts store?
I'm pretty sure this hose will do the job: NAPA AUTO PARTS

Or this one: NAPA AUTO PARTS

Go to, (or call), any NAPA store and ask.

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 01-07-2015, 12:01 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Since NielV provided the name, a Google 'Shopping' search brought up various suppliers:

https://www.google.com/search?q=5/32...w=1275&bih=701

You could also go to a salvage yard with a pocket knife but it might be age brittle like your sample piece.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 07:29 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
For decades before manufacturers started using the hard polyurethane tubing they used black EPDM rubber vacuum hose. Just get some 5/32" ID and replace the polyurethane with it. Normally you can find good ends of the polyurethane and push the rubber hose over it. If you want to keep the color code get some electrical tape of various colors.
http://www.autozone.com/heating-and-...the-foot/4942/
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 10:56 PM   #12

I was looking for a local source so I would be able to compare and verify suitability. The hard tubing makes it so tie downs are at a minimum and it can span longer distances unsupported like the blue line that comes through the dash and goes some feet across the front of the radiator over to the AC box under/in front of the passenger foot-well. I do not want to get into a situation where I will be having to modify every connection that this hard tube is inserted into to adapt it to a soft line with a transitional hard nipple.

For all that I see on-line from folks complaining about it over the years I did not expect so many major parts vendors to give you such a blank "Deer Caught in the Headlights" stare when presented with it.

I was hoping for bulk spool of white or clear and then to just tag it with some red, blue, green, yellow or black permanent markers which I already have.

WW Grainger Supply lists it in their catalog in 50 and 100 foot spools so I may need to drive on over there when I have a chance to. Its just that their local warehouse closes early and is not opened when I am not working.

BTW: I have a feeling that the damage is not just from time and heat but may be ethanol related also.
Old 01-07-2015, 11:05 PM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
I'd be surprised if ethanol is getting into the vacuum lines. Vacuum lines suck, not blow, and the vacuum is created by the intake manifold which doesn't have any fuel mixed in it unless your 2001 has been retro-fitted with a carburetor or throttle body injection system.
Whatever plastic tubing you buy, you'll need a short length of flexible vacuum hose to cut into unions to couple the hard plastic to the nipples on the ends. Usually it's the rubber flex hose unions that rot and split, I've not seen the hard plastic doing as you describe.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 03:51 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I'd be surprised if ethanol is getting into the vacuum lines. Vacuum lines suck, not blow, and the vacuum is created by the intake manifold which doesn't have any fuel mixed in it unless your 2001 has been retro-fitted with a carburetor or throttle body injection system.
Whatever plastic tubing you buy, you'll need a short length of flexible vacuum hose to cut into unions to couple the hard plastic to the nipples on the ends. Usually it's the rubber flex hose unions that rot and split, I've not seen the hard plastic doing as you describe.
I have seen it on fuel injected motor cycles where a little bit of the back pulse in the intake allows enough ethanol vapor to migrate back into the intake to cause a problem. Many times it will dissolve a foam air filter as if the formulation of the media was not ethanol resistant.

The hard tubing is just turning to dust at this point and it appears to be doing it mainly at the seam along the length of the tube where the center die support was located in the extraction head of the machine it was made on. At first inspection it all looked good and new however when I put a vacuum pump on it I was getting zero inches of vacuum registering. Only when I touched the line to further inspect it did it start to crumble enough to see that it had gone porous over most of its length.