Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2018, 12:15 PM   #1

Confused with GVWR & Wheelbase

I'm looking at a new Winnebago Intent 31P:

https://www.rvingplanet.com/mfg-winn...me-class-a/31p

The wheel base is listed as 208" with a GVWR of 18K but on the Ford chassis descriptions there is no such thing:

https://www.fleet.ford.com/resources...2018_ARLSD.pdf

The 18K chassis has a 178" wheelbase and the 208" is either the 20.5K or 22K chassis.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2018, 12:22 PM   #2

Its not uncommon for builders to stretch the frame to fit their body.
Old 07-08-2018, 12:26 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford may be building the frames to WGO specifications.

It would make sense for Ford to build the frame as the drive train would have to be altered at the same time.
Old 07-08-2018, 12:28 PM   #4

OR to downgrade GVWR
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 12:31 PM   #5

Thanks for the quick answers guys. Should I be concerned that I'd be rolling around with a chassis that is longer than the engineers at Ford intended? The one thing I was really hoping for was 22.5" wheels. With the lengthened chassis that seems like even more of a need now.

I haven't been able to see any stickers of actual weights yet but some of the sales videos brag about a 3000#+ CCC so it would seem the chassis is reasonably well paired.
Old 07-08-2018, 12:35 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Is the model listed on the WGO site? I prefer to get the information closer to home.

The chassis builder will put a GWVR on the chassis and the house builder has the final say on the GVWR coming out the door. Am not aware of any who have increased the GVWR but a lot are down rated. Ours is down rated by 400 lbs.
Old 07-08-2018, 12:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Is the model listed on the WGO site? I prefer to get the information closer to home.
Good point.... here it is:

https://winnebagoind.com/products/cl...ent/floorplans

Looks to be the same.
Old 07-08-2018, 12:45 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtofell View Post
Good point.... here it is:

https://winnebagoind.com/products/cl...ent/floorplans

Looks to be the same.
Our dealer was Lichtsinn. Close to the factory, good price, great service well past the warranty period. Also staff knowledgeable.

Give them a call and ask your questions.
Old 07-08-2018, 02:49 PM   #9

Ford doesn’t custom build chassis for anyone. The manufacturer will buy the closest WB that fits their floor plan and then stretch the frame if needed.
Massparanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 02:55 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The Ford's specs in the OP's link show a 178 / 190 / 208 / 228 inch wheelbase options for the 18K lbs chassis. I think he might have been looking at the specs for the 16K chassis.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018 F53 Specs 18K Chassis.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	244.2 KB
ID:	210155  
Old 07-08-2018, 03:06 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
The Ford's specs in the OP's link show a 178 / 190 / 208 / 228 inch wheelbase options for the 18K lbs chassis. I think he might have been looking at the specs for the 16K chassis.
Does not seem practical for WGO or any manufacturer for that matter to alter the wheelbase of a chassis. Would likely void the warranty on the chassis and the drive train as well.
Old 07-08-2018, 03:50 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Does not seem practical for WGO or any manufacturer for that matter to alter the wheelbase of a chassis. Would likely void the warranty on the chassis and the drive train as well.
Last century Morryde was busy extended wheel bases and adding tag axles to what was available. Not so much any more. Chassis options seemed to have expanded about the same time Workhorse acquired the P series from GM and started poking Ford in the eye.
Old 07-08-2018, 04:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
I was looking down near the bottom where it lists turning radius and has a wheelbase in parentheses. I now see up at the top that they make numerous wheel bases for a given GVWR. I guess they had to just pick one for the purposes of the turning radius test to keep the brochure from being excessively long. Thanks for pointing that out. It makes more sense now. Interesting stuff though that manufacturers will lengthen the frames.
Old 07-08-2018, 04:23 PM   #14

Quote:
Winnebago and other body builders regularly change the wheelbase length. We have taken several tours of the factory in Forest City. On one occasion we went through the chassis prep area. They were extending the wheelbase on about 1/3 of the chassis in the shop.

They fixture the chassis, drill out the huck bolts that hold the sections together, put in a new section and bolt everything back together. They use Huck Bolts just like the originals. They extend the fuel, brake lines, electrical connections, and install a new driveshaft. You would never know the wheelbase was extended unless you slide under the motorhome.

We have a 2013 Adventurer 32H on the 22,000 lb. chassis with the 220" wheelbase. Ford made a 228" and a 208" wheelbase for the 22,000 lb. chassis that year. Winnebago inserted a 12" section just behind the transmission. It's a quality job and looks like it came from Ford.

Tags
fuse