Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2013, 11:56 AM   #1

Coolant reservoir repair

The coolant reservoir on my '95 has developed a crack and I want to repair it. Has anyone ever done so with fiberglass repair kit? I have tried some various glue/sealers but haven't found anything that bonds well enough to the tank material (plastic).
Thanks,
Dave
jdr37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2013, 12:09 PM   #2

iRV2 No Limits Club
They can be plastic welded but you might be time effort money ahead getting an aluminum coolant recovery tank.
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:57 PM   #3

Reservoior

I can buy a new one from Ford for $100.00 -- trying to save some money. Do you know if the FRP resin will bond with the plastic the tank is made of? If so, I can do a bang up job in the repair.
Dave
Old 10-10-2013, 02:06 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Go to harbor Freight and get a plastic welder kit for about $20.....or take a picture of it and head to your local auto junk yard, I'm sure you can find on there that is close...
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:30 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I replaced the reservior ($110) because it is part of the system under pressure. Losing all coolant on a hot day... well let's not go there.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:36 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Had success before with a Hot Glue Gun. Used as a quick fix..... I too would replace it.
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:31 AM   #7
YC1

Marine GOOP will stick to just about anything. Look it up. Available at most hardware stores.

YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:42 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I used fiber glass repair to fix my window washer plastic bottle but the coolant system is pretty darn important. Fix it right ! Cheap fix could be major problems down the road.
olfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:24 PM   #9

coolent recovery container

On my 94 Ford I tossed the old tank and simply put a half gallon container in its place just cut hole for eldover flow hose in top doesnt need to be air tight its not under pressure just make sure the hose is under coolent. at all times.Held in the same location as old tank with bungie cord. try it
1skatingrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:47 PM   #10

The correct glue for poly type tanks is Flex Set by Marinetex. It stays flexible. I've used it on multiple types of plastic including some really slick stuff.
For a repair on a pressure tank, I'd clean the thing really well & put the mixed epoxy on the inside spanning over the crack & apply a goodly amount of it. Then I'd reinforce it on the outside with more epoxy & a patch of plastic flexible enough to work a bit. I frequently cut sheets off of blister packs when I buy stuff, some of that blister pack material is tougher'n, well, er, reallllly tough. So a patch made of that reinforces well when spanning over a break in other plastic.

Many of these coolant tanks are in a place they are exposed to sunlight. cover the tank after surgery if yours is like that to arrest UV deterioration.
Old 10-13-2013, 02:42 PM   #11

coolant reservoir repair

A couple of days ago I decided to try FRP repair. The crack was about 12" to 15" long from top to bottom. I tested it today and it is holding perfectly and the resin appears to have bonded with the plastic extremely well .
I will keep a close eye on it for a while to be sure it doesn't fail.

I believe the tank is made of Poly Propylene (PP) and research did not have any suggested resins or glues, but I have done FRP repairs to several other types of plastics and had a hunch it might work. Time will tell.
Dave
Old 12-06-2013, 10:50 AM   #12

coolant reservoir repair UPDATE

After several weeks and a trip I can report that the FRP repair has done the job.
No leaks, no delamination, just a good strong bond between the FRP and the tank material.
I thoroughly cleaned the area and wire brushed it to obtain a nice non-smooth surface for the polyester to adhere to. I first applied a coat of resin then the woven fiber and then soaked the fiber and removed all air bubbles.
jdr37
Old 12-06-2013, 11:07 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr37 View Post
The coolant reservoir on my '95 has developed a crack and I want to repair it. Has anyone ever done so with fiberglass repair kit? I have tried some various glue/sealers but haven't found anything that bonds well enough to the tank material (plastic).
Thanks,
Dave
Those plastic reservoirs degrade over time.
I repaired my a few times, only to have it leak in another spot.
My advice is REPLACE it!
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 01:17 PM   #14

reservoir repair

The crack started in the area of one of the three mounting bolts that was putting some stress on the plastic. I believe the crack has reached it's end points but I will watch it and if it spreads beyond the patch I will replace.
This is not a sealed reservoir and any coolant loss from the radiator would be minimal at any one time.
jdr37

Tags
repair