Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2014, 08:36 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Cruise Control Kicking Off on Bumps

I need a diagram or advice on how to adjust and where the switch is on the steering collum so that anytime i am on a rough road it will not kick off. It seems it is adjusted too close to the brake pedal and any movement will cut it off.
Have looked on internet and can not find a diagram. Thanks,
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2014, 09:12 AM   #2

I would just get under there to see how it's mounted. The switch itself may be adjustable. If not, you can try to bend the mount or install a spring on the brake pedal so that it doesn't bounce.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:37 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by al2ride View Post
I would just get under there to see how it's mounted. The switch itself may be adjustable. If not, you can try to bend the mount or install a spring on the brake pedal so that it doesn't bounce.
That's what I was thinking.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:03 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
On my 82 PA it was the vacuum line @ the Carb had fallen off reconnected it and she works every time.
Good Luck, Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:20 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
cruise controle kicking off

Has no carb, but i can not even see the switch the the brake kicks the cruise off and on. Will keep on looking, hard for my big body to get around the seat and under the dash.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:22 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I have seen them mounted on the break pedal arm it self. I know us big guys have problems trying to figure out how to just get under the dash let alone finding something.
Have you looked to see if the Manuel is somewhere on this site? I have seen them but can't remember just off hand where.
Best of luck, Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:53 PM   #7

i seen some where ford is like GM now on the 2004s it has its own ECM just for the gas as every one is going to fly by wire

if the spring is getting old in the gas pedal it can move fast kicking it off on the bumps

but what we get in the GMs is this ECM is set for a GVWR and if your towning to much up a hill it well kick off as well and give a err light on the dash

but what you are saying dos sound like wiring .. but just some things to think about
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:27 PM   #8

The brake lamp switch is mounted above the pedal and should be a friction fit. Just wiggle switch just a little away from pedal arm. The cruise ECM uses brake lamp current change to disinguage cruise. A loose or defective bulb may cause a cruise disconnect with a bump. Don't forget the toad and related wiring also. If your coach has a third brake lamp it must work for the cruise to work so a loose or defective bulb there may also cause a disconnect on cruise.
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:34 PM   #9

Search over in the Ford section for "cruise". There's a few threads about cruise (speed) control there. There's wiring diagrams posted too.

Your 2001 will be the same as all '99 to '04 F53's.

Here's a thread with some diagrams

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 12:45 AM   #10

On my 95 Bounder did the same thing. The 2 switches that hits the brake pedal arm was loose and needed new mounting tabs. They are made of plastic and gets brittle over time.
leesdx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 06:56 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Any movement of the brake arm that will turn on the brake lamps will deactivate the Speed Control.
Sounds like your brake lamps might be flashing when you hit bumps also.

Steering column:

/
subford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 10:00 PM   #12

On the 2000 and later it is a brake pressure switch mounted below the master cyclinder where they put the fuse for the recall service to prevent fires that deactivates the cruise control. Even if you have had the recall done I would start there to verify that the pressure switch has not started leaking and causing an intermittant short that is dropping out the cruise control. Eventually it will cause the fuse to blow if you have had the recall done or could potentially start a fire if you have not.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:11 PM   #13

I had the same problem on my 2001 F-250. It would disengage the cruise control when hitting decent sized bumps in the road. I would use my foot to pull up on the brake pedal and then no matter the size of bump, the cruise would NOT turn off.

You should try holding the brake pedal up and if your cruise does not turn off over bumps, then you have a problem with the 'stop light switch' or 'brake light switch'.

I bought a switch from Auto Zone and kept having the same problem. Thought it was poor quality from AZ. Returned it and bought one straight from Ford. And guess what, same problem.

I kept digging into the problem. The stop light switch felt loose in the mounting bracket, but didn't know why. I ended up messing around with the switch and mounting options. Finally, by accident, I found out the previous owner had installed a new switch and installed it upside down. Once I put it in the mounting bracket correctly, the stop light switch functioned perfectly!

Check to see if it upside down!
Old 06-20-2014, 07:34 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for all the info, i will start checking them out today.

Tags
cruise control