Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2013, 01:27 PM   #1

Damon F53 won't start,fuel gauge acting up

Hope this is posted in the right spot.I went to start my Damon a couple of days ago,and no go.It cranks fine but wont start.I believe it lost the ground for the fuel pump and gauge because the gauge is reading way past full.Im sure the pump isn't running,though I do hear the relay pull in and drop out in a few seconds as it should.Inertia switch is ok.Checked voltage at the inertial switch an and when the relay is in its 12 volts,when it drops out it still show 6 volts and I figure that's a feedback from the gauge due to no ground.The question here,does anybody know where to the frame rail this thing grounds to?Ive looked and can,t seem to locate it.On a f53 with a 75 gallon tank is the access hole in the tank in the front of the tank or rear.I may have to pull this thing out to see whats up with it.Any help appreciated.
keithz29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2013, 01:32 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
might help to know what year - v10 or V8.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:33 PM   #3

97 F53 v8my pump is in the middle of the tank, had similar symptoms where it would crank but not start sometimes then it would work fine for months, but this time I cant get it started. currently waiting on a new pump to arrive from online parts store.
redfire312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:58 PM   #4

The ground is labeled G300 and it is bolted along the frame rail. Where exactly, I do not know but it should be close to the pump/tank. It will be a black wire.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:25 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you have a mid 90's F53 and it sounds like you do the ground should be as in the photo below.
The voltage you are reading is coming from the FPM circuit at pin #8 on the PCM Computer more than likely.

/
subford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:50 PM   #6

Sorry cb1000rider ,that is a 460.Actually when I bought this the Triton engine was out .I guess the frame was an instock frame that was purchased ahead of time.Subford is that to the front or rear of the tank and which side.I think I did see a ground to the rear of the tank on the drivers side rail but didn't see the plug.Thanks for the quick help guys.I'll go take a look tomorrow if its not raining.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:00 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
It is on the drivers side frame rail near the back of the tank.
It is G300 as stated above in the diagram below.

/
Old 07-15-2013, 07:11 PM   #8

Okay well finally got back to check the ground on the frame and it looks. I'm assuming it runs straight to the tank from the rail. I'm wondering if I've had a mouse attack on the connector on the tank? I've looked under the coach, no line of sight to see it, so I probably will have to tip the tank. Anyone that has done this is the wiring and hoses long enough to let the back down without disconnecting everything. I had a generator problem too. Again crank no start. Fuel pump wasn't working. Took it off, a little liquid wrench, worked with it and is okay now. I think it was just varnished up. Definitely working now, now if the carburetor will cooperate. Tomorrow I'll know if I'm pulling that off too!
Old 07-15-2013, 08:12 PM   #9

There is limited hose and wires to drop the tank. The last one I dropped the body builder had a really short hose to the generator which was a real pain. There is a special tool needed for removing the fuel lines. They are a push on connector that has spring loaded fingers that hold it in place. The tool will release the fingers. Im pretty sure your tank will have studs and nuts that hold the pump in place. Be very careful removing the nuts as the studs do break easily. Some PB blaster works well and be very easy on backing out the nuts. Even running the nut back and forth can help. A wire brush works well for cleaning the threads also.
Old 08-10-2013, 03:57 PM   #10

Pump

Ok thanks jamesrxx951.I was tackling some other problems and those are fixed now back to the pump and fuel gauge problem. Dropped the tank yesterday, no real problem there. The fuel line releases, what a pain. Those are really only for quick assembly at the assembly plants. I had to get a different tool as the plastic release tools wasn't cutting it. Just got that and will be back at it Monday. I am kinda worried about a rusty tank, hope not. This fuel now days, what a can of worms they've opened. On another note anybody know how the interlocks for the slide room operate? Is it tied to a solenoid in the distribution box. It has 3 White Rogers solenoids in it, one I know is the main disconnect, not sure about the others. The model of the box is DC3000.The distribution box was made by an engineering company that was in Elkhart. I think they are no longer around. Unfortunately I don't have diagrams for how it's wired or I could figure it out. I'm not having problems with those systems, just trying to figure how it operates for when I may have a problem. This is on a 1997 Damon Intruder. Thanks
Old 08-11-2013, 10:27 AM   #11

Keith,

It appears that this motorhome has the nut style clamping system for the fuel pump. If you have not removed the pump yet, be very careful. First I always use compressed air to blow away any debris. Then use a good penetrating oil like Kroyal (spelling???). Use a wire brush and clean as much exposed thread as possible. The studs can easily snap so the most prep work you can do to help will save a lot of headache. Use hand tools and gently break loose the nuts. Work it back and forth if you feel some resistance. Use as much penetrating oil as you want. Just take your time and you should be ok. We live in the north where salt is used so yours may be better than what I have experienced. Tighten down to Tighten to 7.5-9.5 Nm
(67-84 Lb-In) . Over torqueing will also cause the studs to snap. If you do have some rust in the tank, you can clean it out. If it is excessive, take the take to a tank or radiator shop that can clean it out and reseal it. I have sent several tanks out for cleaning and the interior seal and it can save a lot of money. Last I remember the tank is $1500.00. The sealing is much cheaper.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:28 PM   #12

Will do jamesrxx951i'll know more tomorrow.Thanks
Old 08-20-2013, 07:36 AM   #13

Ok tanks out, pumps out, got a new pump. I got the Motorcraft pump the part number is PFS48 or F6PZ9H307DB..Now the problem is nobody has the pigtail that is supposed to be used for a chassis built 3/1997. It is a 4 wire harness and I'm assuming it just has some differences in the way the plug is wired. If I could find an accurate diagram pinout for the plug i could figure it out. Anyone have a diagram like that? Thanks
Old 08-20-2013, 10:39 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Deleted Deleted

Tags
damon, f53