RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2021, 08:36 AM   #1

Dana rear axle

TeJay,
My owners manual states, “Your vehicles rear axle is filled with a synthetic rear axle lubricant and considered lubricated for life.”
I was reading where rear axle lubricants need to be changed every 30,000 to 60,000 miles. I currently have 231,000 miles and mine has never leaked or been changed. What is your thought? Thank
tstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2021, 10:42 AM   #2

I'd tend to agree with the users guide. They used synthetic and that should last the life of the axles. Synthetic does not break down the same way that dino lubricants do.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 10:48 AM   #3

Which axle do you have? Dana 80, 110, 130, 135, or 150? Knowing that, you could look up what Dana recommends as second opinion.

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 11:07 AM   #4

Dana ?

Unless she is singing or leaking, there is no reason to open her up.
You could, with that kind of mileage, pull the plug and check the level, if that would make you feel better.
Just don't invent a problem.

Mike in Colorado
Old 01-27-2021, 12:23 PM   #5

I have seen it stated that the diff has synthetic oil and is lubed for life. Buying used, I trusted none of the fluids and changed them all. With 44,xxx miles at 16 years, the diff oil looked like s+#t. Glad I replaced it!

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/need...ml#post3531434

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/dana...ml#post3718852
spyderRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 01:36 PM   #6

Some years ago the new Corvette and a certain BMW model were gifted with a super-duper new automatic transmission that had highly touted "lifetime" transmission fluid. Now some years later it turns out that "lifetime" in that particular case actually meant about ten years.

Me, I'd change it.
GypsyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 03:33 PM   #7

Dana axle

Thanks guys for the reply’s. It has the Dana 135 rear end. No leaks, not low and no noises. Probably over causes.
tstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 05:16 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
As kind of stated. Ford says it's good for life. Who determines what is life? It won't hurt to keep what you have nor hurt to change it. What ever makes you feel better.

We did a fluid change for one reason. We had to install a helicoil in the DANA- 80 differential (DF) bolt hole. To install a helicoil you have to drill a larger hole in the cast iron DF case. I wanted to know if the bolts went through the case and into the DF housing which contained the DF fluid. Drilling a hole all the way through the iron DF housing would put metal chips into the fluid. We took the cover off and determined the bolts did not go through into the DF housing. Problem solved.

Then we had to buy the Ford fluid. It cost $27 a quart and we needed about 6 quarts. I can't remember the exact amount but you can find that out by going to a dealer.

We replaced the cover and had to use a gasket maker material in a tube. Ford does not make a gasket for the DF cover. We used the gasket maker we got from Ford. Added the fluid and after 3 years all is well.
Old 01-27-2021, 06:44 PM   #9

Dana rear axle

Dans S135 doesn’t have a rear cover, but it has drain and fill plugs. It holds 12 quarts of fluid.

Dans manual lists 250,000 miles or 3 years for synthetic lube, normal duty. 100,000 miles or 1 year for severe duty.

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
rear