Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2023, 03:35 PM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvee99 View Post

I have tried and looked into every suggestion given to me, including all on this forum, and nothing is helping.

Time to get a new RV I guess.

If you have a different idea, I am open to try it.

Thanks.
You seem to be a pretty capable guy, so why not get a couple caster adjusters and add some caster? They are as cheap as $8.00 each, so not a big cost.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2023, 07:32 PM   #30

You have to about remove a balljoint on each side to put such adjusters in. Which isn't child's play. Even if you're used to working on one ton TTB front suspension. Sometimes the adjusters seize in place and have to be forcibly removed. Not fun. I'm really big on doing anything and everything myself but an adjuster swap on these is no joke and something I'd not enjoy or really advise.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 07:48 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergioP View Post
Mine can also be driven one handed. Itís 25ft long.
I drive my E450 Class A Axis one handed all day.
Shop got caster to 4.8į using a new bushing on one side.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 07:52 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
You have to about remove a balljoint on each side to put such adjusters in. Which isn't child's play. Even if you're used to working on one ton TTB front suspension. Sometimes the adjusters seize in place and have to be forcibly removed. Not fun. I'm really big on doing anything and everything myself but an adjuster swap on these is no joke and something I'd not enjoy or really advise.
He just did the front end so slipping adjustable bushing in won't be a big deal.
You remove the pinch bolt and slide it up and out.

Some have index marks and have charts to set them up.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230124-205212_Chrome.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	384981
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 09:37 AM   #33

Yeah, I remember one I did once that actually "slid out". it can happen.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 01:44 PM   #34

So CastEr bushings are next.

I have spoken to some "experts" and they agree that caster bushings may be of help. They also stated that the adjustable caster bushings are for the smaller Ford trucks (150 series) and would not be proper for an E350 Super Duty, and that if I do choose to install new caster bushings, they should be fixed bushings preset at whatever degree is recommended.

Easy enough, as I know exactly how to do this, as you take out the retaining bolt, pry the original bushing out, remove and replace...DONE. The ball joints do not have to be removed, as someone suggested. In fact, in one of my many inspections, I removed, inspected and and reinstalled in order to verify that they were tight and installed properly.

That being said, if I do install new caster bushings, what is the spec number of the new caster bushings required? What is the number and how is it determined? I have been told 3 degrees, 4.8 degrees, 5.5 degrees. Which one is right? What is the consensus of what would be the best number to use and how do we verify that the number is the correct number of caster bushing (does that make sense? I hope so)

Can someone provide a link of the best bushing spec number that will solve this problem so that I can order it? Is there a chart somewhere that can be referred to that tells me to use this bushing for this result or that number for a different result? I just do not know how much or how little caster would be needed to stop the horrible sway.

The shop that did the alignment is not small local shop that maybe does a big truck or RV here and there. They are the biggest and the best service center for large commercial trucks and RVs in Florida...it's all they do. No one around for several counties comes even close to the work they do, and large trucks come from all over the country for their service. Lined up in their parking lot was county buses, dump trucks, municipal fire trucks, police vans and buses, and on and on. They must know what they are doing if they take care of all of they city's and county's truck needs. There were even large trucks with license plates from all over the country there for service. They must know a thing or two I would guess.

https://www.martinotire.com/

I told them what was happening when I dropped it off, and when they were finished, they stated they did a comprehensive inspection of my steering and suspension, and found nothing wrong that would cause any sway. I also specifically asked about adjusting the caster, as I have read about this being a possible fix on several websites, and they stated that with the factory bushings and a proper suspension and alignment, my RV should drive just fine, and adding caster may or may not improve the handling a bit, but it should not be needed. They seemed to be all about sticking with factory settings when it comes to caster bushings.

However, considering my situation, they must have overlooked something...no?

That's where I am hoping you guys (and gals) can help point me in a direction that the professionals may have missed. Maybe if I am armed with some additional knowledge discovered here, I can go back to them and tell them to check "this" or "that.

Finally, As has been noted, I truly do believe that something is wrong that is not simply caster related. Even with factory caster bushings, my RV should not be this bad. The factory bushings that are in there now at one time allowed the RV to track straight enough down the road without the horrible sway I have now.

I also agree that there has to be a "voila" moment. That there is this one (or more) part, or one thing wrong, that if fixed, will solve this riddle. The parts are correct for my application, everything is tight, no rusted out frame sections, broken welds or rivets, the problem is well hidden to say the least. I can't find it, despite numerous expeditions in search of any hidden issues. This elusive problem appears to have even fooled the experts who put it on a rack and checked it out.

Maybe if I go back to them, armed with some additional information obtained here, the problem can be found and solved once and for all.

Thanks again for all your input and advice. I will keep everyone posted if the riddle is one day solved.
Harvee99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 03:49 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Here's a little YouTube video that shows adjusting the caster/camber. You will have to decide what aftermarket adjuster to use, but it's not hard to set up once you have the adjuster installed.

Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 04:17 PM   #36

https://www.spcalignment.com/compone...AFrom&to=USATo

Watch the video at the bottom. You need to know the alignment readings to be able to use the right size bushing. The right side caster should be higher than the left to compensate for road crown. To keep it from pulling to the right.
Old 01-26-2023, 10:33 AM   #37

I had this issue twice on my other RV, a winny Rialta.

Frist time it was caused by the wrong tires on the RV. Tires were new, but, not the right load index, and not enough pressure in the tires ( I was a newbie and didn't understand the importance of the right tires.

10 years later, I had just had new tires put on the RV and I experienced side to side sway whenever a 18 wheeler passed. I was sure the problem was the tires. THou I had checked tire pressure and airbag pressure when I left, I also checked them when I got home and low and behold the tire pressure was correct, but the airbag on the left side had no pressure. I filled it up again and had no issues since.

Only thing I can figure was when I topped up the air bag the valve didn't seal and air leaked out.

Maybe you have a weak spring or bad shocks?

Kip
kwftlaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 11:57 AM   #38

After running down the great suggestions above.. do you have safety plus system on it? Post a picture if you do please..
Good luck and keep us posted
Old 01-26-2023, 03:02 PM   #39

So, is it possible that my tires are not correct? Come to think of it, on its maiden voyage when I first bought it, it had Michelin E rated tires on it and it did not sway on the day when I bought it and took it home.

Despite the fact that the Michelin tires had almost no wear and looked new treadwise, the date code showed them to be almost 10 years old. Because of the age, I replace the tires. In fact, one of the first things I did after redoing the steering and suspension was install new tires. BF Goodrich Commercial TA tires is what two different shops recommended to me, so that is what I installed. According to what I have found, they have a load range E, so it appears these are okay.

Maybe I have be so focused on the mechanical stuff, I did not consider the tires. That being said, are the tires I have now proper for an RV?

And no, I do not have a safety plus system.
Harvee99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 03:47 PM   #40

I'm sorry that you are having problems. There seems to be a lot of good ideas but my thought is why would you be traveling at 70mph+? Slow down and enjoy the view.
Van
2008 40' Newmar Ventana with no toad
VanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 04:05 PM   #41

Rear springs! Sounds odd, I had a class A sounds just like yours, if you went under over pass better be hanging on to it coming out other side! Or trucks passing.
If you can find ride height specs get tape measure out and check, also check height (Rear) between right and Left.
Took my to a good heavy duty truck shop.
It's no fun to drive like that!!
Riley 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 04:11 PM   #42

As others have said, install a SS track bar. I threw a bunch O money and effort into my 2019 E450 chassis and bingo, the track bard was the fix. And adding it to a sway bar should be no problem!
Johnynorthla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e350, ford, steering