Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2021, 07:54 AM   #1

Disable daytime running lights

I want to disable the DRL's on my 2017 Bounder (2016 chassis). I noticed that when the parking brake is released and the coach is put into gear, the DRL's activate.
I have used a ForScan program on a laptop to do this with all of my previous Ford vehicles but I've never tried it with a F53 chassis before.
So, my question is...
Does anyone here have a ForScan spreadsheet for a late model F53 chassis? I am just starting to look into this. I am looking for the module designation and code values to change.
2017 22K Bounder 415/6spd/5:38s
2018 F150 Lariat 502A 4X4 Toad & Tow Vehicle
2023 Rockwood GeoPro 20BHS
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2021, 08:03 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Travco View Post
I want to disable the DRL's on my 2017 Bounder (2016 chassis). I noticed that when the parking brake is released and the coach is put into gear, the DRL's activate.
I have used a ForScan program on a laptop to do this with all of my previous Ford vehicles but I've never tried it with a F53 chassis before.
So, my question is...
Does anyone here have a ForScan spreadsheet for a late model F53 chassis? I am just starting to look into this. I am looking for the module designation and code values to change.
Why? Safety factor. Might be required in some states and Canada.
Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 08:10 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Silber View Post
I've noticed that some folks HATE the DRLs. Not sure why that is. I see it as an automatic safety feature.
Old 06-04-2021, 08:36 AM   #4

Motorcyclist, that's why. Think about it.
Also, there are times that I prefer to run just my running lights with yellow fogs. I am smart enough to turn on my own headlights if needed.
Old 06-04-2021, 08:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Motorcyclist, that's why. Think about it.
Also, there are times that I prefer to run just my running lights with yellow fogs. I am smart enough to turn on my own headlights if needed.
Are you saying motorcyclists are confused by DRLs or that other drivers think an RV with DRLs is a motorcycle?
Old 06-04-2021, 09:01 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post
Are you saying motorcyclists are confused by DRLs or that other drivers think an RV with DRLs is a motorcycle?
I'm curious as well. Haven't ridden a bike in a few years, but interested on why.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 09:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Stang View Post
I'm curious as well. Haven't ridden a bike in a few years, but interested on why.
Hello! It is for safety.Didn't you noticed when you drive at dusk the first thing you see is the lights not the thing behind it. So it's the same for motorcyclists and also car driver.Daylight is not affecting the rv or a car. So why not. Yvon PS i also ride a motorcycle so it means to me that im aware of the comming traffic .. Have a good summer camping time.
yvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 09:59 AM   #8

Yep, I too would like to understand the reasoning behind this. Modern charging systems, batteries and lighting components are well made and last many years. The amount of power draw is negligible so no affect to fuel consumption.
The visibility is priceless, unless you're running covert ops, there is no (that I can come up with) reason to shut these off. Don't care how large you are, I will see and recognize oncoming traffic quicker with lights their lights on.
In fact, I just added a set of LED running lights to my 66 chev truck.

Sorry op, I know you asked how to, not for opinions.
Brentw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 10:13 AM   #9

As a motorcyclist for the last 34 years or so... I absolutely loathe automotive DRL's.
When federal motorcycle lights on requirements took place in the 1970's, motorcycles stood out in traffic because their headlights were on. These days, in heavy traffic, motorcycles can get lost in a sea of car headlights.
When driving at dawn or dusk, that's when I turn on my running lights. Once it's actually dark, I turn on my headlights.
I deactivate the DRL's on every vehicle that I own, will own or have ever owned.

So... Anyone here use ForScan and maybe have a late model F53 spreadsheet?
Old 06-04-2021, 03:45 PM   #10

I’m still searching for a list of programmable written ForScan codes for my 2016 F53 chassis. I’m hoping SuperDuty or F-150 codes are the same or very similar since no luck finding anything yet.

Just a follow up for anyone with a 2019 or later chassis…
Looks like many diagnostic protocols have changed sometime after 2018. An OBD device with updatable firmware and a laptop will make things much more manageable for any modifications that you may want to make.
Old 06-04-2021, 05:35 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Silber View Post
It's my understanding DRL is the law Canada and has been for 20+ years.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 05:58 PM   #12

77Travco-

Looking at the owner's manual for a 2016 F-53 chassis (link here), page 78, removing Relay 7 from the Passenger Compartment Fuse Panel might stop the DRLs from activating.

On my coach's 2007 F-53 chassis, Relay 9 is the equivalent relay.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 05:58 PM   #13
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
... These days, in heavy traffic, motorcycles can get lost in a sea of car headlights...
So using your analogy a motorcyclist should turn off the headlight when in "a sea of headlights?"
Old 06-04-2021, 06:39 PM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR View Post
So using your analogy a motorcyclist should turn off the headlight when in "a sea of headlights?"
That is not what he is saying at all. When the motorcycle lights were mandated in the 70's it was to draw attention to them and hopefully people would pay more attention and notice them. When you are in a sea of cars/trucks/vans, all running DRL's the cyclist just blends in, (another fish in the sea). I have never ridden but I understand where he is coming from.
lawjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights, running lights