Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2016, 12:04 PM   #1

Do you have a picture of Cruise control Switch location

Hi,

I have bought on rockauto a Cruise Control Switch with the harness. This is for my Ford F53 1999. I have a Hydro-Max system since the chassis is a long one.

Part number 1L1Z-9F924-AA.

But all the pictures I found on the internet show this switch being plugged in the Master Cylinder.

Does anybody has a picture or a description of where I put this thing?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2016, 12:15 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm going to guess:

Looks like replacement switch and recall harness for Cruise control.

The switch screws onto the front of your brake master cylinder. The wire harness fits on the front of your master solenoid.. The wire harness is probably a fused harness, Unplug your switch, plug it into this harness, then plug this harness into the switch.

Ford has a recall for the switch shorting out and causing fires. Their solution was to install a small wireharness that has two fuses in it that blow if the switch shorts out.

I took my 2001 F53 to the Ford dealer a couple years ago, they ran the VIN, found it was part of the recall, and 20 minutes later, they had the harness installed.

Send the parts back to Rock Auto and swing by your Ford dealer. Odds are good (99.999999%) that if you have factory Cruise control, your F53 is part of the recall and Ford will install the harness. FYI - Tell them your have all kinds of problems with the CC not engaging and tripping out, They will then replace the switch also...

Read about my episode here..

http://www.2001mirada.com/ford-fires...ontrol-recall/

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CC_Recall_1_600.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	127413   Click image for larger version

Name:	CC_Recall_2_600.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	127414  

Name:	CC_Recall_3_600.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	127415  
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 12:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
I'm going to guess:

Looks like replacement switch and recall harness for Cruise control.

My master cylinder is different from yours.

If you look on rockauto.com you will see many models. It depends if you have 15, 18 or 20000 pounds F53 model.

I have the 20.5k model. Here is a picture of mine:

THE CRUISE CONTROL SWICH DOES NOT CONNECT ON THIS MASTER CYLINDER. On the picture you see a white plug, this is the Brake pressure switch. But there is no other sensor or switch connected on this Master Cylinder in my opinion. In fact for 20.5k model we have a HydroMax system which is a kind of booster behind the master cylinder. There is a plug in the front of my master cylinder but this is simply a Drain plug. I changed my MC last summer.

See Rockauto various models :here.

I don't want to go to a Ford Dealer. They always tell me they don't service Motorhomes. I should do it myself.

I have seen a picture of a F53 with the cruise control switch not located on the Master Cylinder. But the model was very different from mine. So I am still looking for a picture or a description.

If there is no fuses on the new harness, I will put two 2A fuses myself.
Old 05-19-2016, 05:58 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
I've seen the switch located in different locations on the master cylinder.

Check to see if the small harness you bought from Rock Auto will plug into the switch on your master cylinder. If so, install it.

There isn't a need to replace the switch unless you're having CC problems, OR, if one of the fuses blows on the recall harness. (do NOT install a bigger fuse)

Most car dealers don't have room for a Motor home (or the expertise) However, they my be able to replace the harness in the parking lot. Thats what they did with mine. It took them longer to fill out the paperwork so Ford would pay them then it did the tech to plug the harness in.

Why the recall - The switch develops a leak internally, Brake fluid enters the electrical portion of the switch and starts developing a short circuit. Over time this short gets very bad, drawing more and more current. Finally, the current draw gets so high it starts melting the wiring.

There is no fuse in this circuit so once the wires start to melt, it just cascades into flames and destroying the vehicle.

The real bad part about this, the vehicle doesn't need to be running for this to happen. As in my neighbors case, his truck was sitting in the driveway and hadn't been driven in a couple days.
Old 05-19-2016, 07:34 AM   #5

I suppose it does not fit on my F53 with Hydro-Max. There is not CC device on my Master Cylinder.

Unless it goes on the Hydro-Max but I see no place where I could fit it.
Old 05-19-2016, 07:50 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm curious, did you remove the connector from your existing switch and see if the recall harness connector will fit on your switch??

Suggestion, write your VIN down and stop by any Ford dealer and ask them if the CC recall applies to your VIN.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
I'm curious, did you remove the connector from your existing switch and see if the recall harness connector will fit on your switch??

Suggestion, write your VIN down and stop by any Ford dealer and ask them if the CC recall applies to your VIN.
I just went to check and they are very different.

I have put two 2A fuse on my white brake pressure sensor harness just in case last year. The fuses are still ok so the amperage is right.

I will call my ford dealer with my VIN code like you suggest. They will tell me if it is part of the recall. Many thanks for the suggestion.

If one day someone has an answer, please post it here, even in many years. I will read it.

I will buy my Ford manual which is availlable at rockauto for 50$Cad.
Old 05-26-2016, 06:15 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mine is below the master cylinder behind the BCC.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Cruise Control Switch 01.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	288.6 KB
ID:	128258   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cruise Control Switch 02.jpg
Views:	564
Size:	304.1 KB
ID:	128259  

Randalpho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 02:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randalpho View Post
Mine is below the master cylinder behind the BCC.
Bingo!

Thank you very much. Thank you also from all those that will buy a used unit!

You did a very good job of identifying all the components. I was able to see I have the Recall fuse and harness like on your picture.

It is very difficult to see in this area. I can not see my CC switch so I just took a picture like you did and I see now my CC switch on the picture.

I am very happy. For the first time I am 100% sure the recall is done on my F53.

Carl

Tags
cat, cruise control