Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2015, 02:04 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Drag Link Dust Boot Replacement

During my 15K chassis maintenance I found the front dust boot on the drag link damaged. The Drag Link was turned in such a way that it was pinching the boot on the bottom side. Could not fine the boots anywhere. Cleaned the boot off looking for a part number and found the number 20-114 did a search and got a hit at the IRV2 Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum. Ford uses the same one and they are made by TRW. Ordered two from RVChassisParts.com.
Used a piece of 2" PVC to drive the boot onto the drag link.
Thanks again Petersr58 for the torque info.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front drag link boot.jpg
Views:	858
Size:	276.5 KB
ID:	107992   Click image for larger version

Name:	Removal Tools.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	268.0 KB
ID:	107993  

Name:	Boot part number.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	238.0 KB
ID:	107994  
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2017, 09:15 PM   #2

Dust Boot Removal

grtharris

Thanks for your post. I am currently trying to replace our dust boots. Can you provide any information or step by step instruction on how you removed the dust boots. I have the nut off but I cannot get the drag link dropped down to remove the boot. I tried using a pickle fork to separate the joint. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Donwaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 06:35 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
grtharriss Yes takes more than a pickle fork, borrow one of these pullers form AutoZone or O'reillys. Once the drag link is loose the boot is a tight fit on the drag link you will have to hammer it off and use the 2" pvc pipe to press the new one on.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Puller.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	358.3 KB
ID:	173518  
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 10:34 AM   #4

An alternate technique for dropping the drag link end (works on tie rod ends too) is to back off the castle nut then strike the side of the arm that the tapered shaft goes through with a BFH. The vibration usually drops the end out after four or five hits.

DON'T beat on the threaded end! All manner of bad stuff happens when you do that.
AITG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 11:19 AM   #5

What AITG said.

In 35 years of heavy truck repair, I have never used the fork. Well maybe, but not for a tie rod end or ball joint.

One GOOD shot on the end of the arm, not the side, and out it comes. If you hit it on the side, your force is absorbed by the spindle moving.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 09:33 AM   #6

Thanks for the info everyone, when we get back in town gonna give it another try.
Old 08-23-2017, 05:51 AM   #7

Ford replaced mine under warranty.
Old 03-15-2018, 02:43 PM   #8

Thanks for the info. Mine are in the same shape. What was the torque for the bolt ends?
Old 03-28-2018, 01:47 PM   #9

Just had mine replaced by Ford under Warranty.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:27 AM   #10

Glad you got it taken care of. Did ours myself, would have been covered by warranty but closest shop was 2 hours away and we're backed up. Didn't have 3+ weeks to wait on it. Ordered the boot and arrived in 2-3 days and replaced in an hour or so.
Old 03-30-2018, 04:04 AM   #11

Prior to winterization while greasing the front end I noticed a torn boot also. Don't recall which one and my coach is new. I am sure there are new coaches on the lot with torn boots.
Torque spec ?
Great information Thanks !
Old 08-21-2018, 04:58 PM   #12

GRTHarris,, thank you very much for this info.. I done mine yesterday with the part number you recommended..Works like a charm.. My cousin is a Ford Service manager and said I would have to buy entire drag link..I told him no thanks and told him what I had done..I am a returning member hence the new member status.. Haven't been on here in a while..Thanks again..
Texan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 03:13 PM   #13

I just replaced my front boot also. 2018 (2017 chassis) with about 12,000 miles. Perhaps this location is susceptible to road hazard damage?
Thanks grtharris for the part number.
I did get the tapered fitting apart with several solid blows with the big friendly hammer. And one very gentle tap on the nut, mostly to see if it was loose yet which it was.
Someone mentioned 130 ft/lbs. for the castle nut. That is what I used, then just a little more to get the hole lined up for the cotter pin.
I bought two boots to have a spare. It looks like the tie rod ends might be the exact same boot if one of those tears.
Old 01-28-2020, 03:56 PM   #14

My theory is that with the wheel turned fully one way or the other, the boot is being pinched between the arm and rod.

You may be able to limit your sharp turns a bit and not tear it.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace, replacement