Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2014, 09:08 AM   #29

This idea of the RVs speed thing, came up like a year or so ago, so I, just as a test checked to see what our 99 F53 would do.
Flat footing on flat ground, when it got to 80 I decided that was enough, so I dont know if its just our RV or what or if something was done to ours before we bought it, but I dont think the 99 year had a speed type limiter on them.
It felt like it could go higher as well, but 60~65 & maybe in a blue moon 70 is as fast as I want to normally run. After driving trucks for the better part of 20 years, I know you got to stop that fool somehow, so its always good to be prepared for that little 4 wheel slamming on the brakes in front of you.
Neil
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2014, 09:44 AM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Seems like we are getting off the subject of OP post , I would suggest putting it into a shop and have it dyno /check HP and performance if you want to exceed 75 MPH , I know that my V-10 will exceed that just trying that , I don't know how fast it will go I never tried and don't want to .

Just remember to read braking length performance or safe stoping ability in your owners manual .

Be safe,

James
Jimooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:06 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortboxer View Post
I have had 3 motorhomes with the Ford v 10 in the last few years and all 3 have had a governor on them that will only allow it to go 74 m.p h or so. I like to drive at least that fast or faster. So I literally floor it the entire time on the interstates and really push the engine. All three have not had a problem with this type of driving but they sound like they are being abused. Anyone else have this experience? My wife says that I drive it like I stole it.
Sounds to me like you are hitting a Rev Limiter. I don't know of any motorhomes that have a true governor.

BTW... Speed alone doesn't kill. If it did we'd all be dead as we're all sitting on this big green golf ball we call Earth. It's hurling around the sun at 66,600 mph. Now that's some speed.

Instead, speed improperly applied is what kills, and as we don't know the OP's application of speed, we are in no position to pass judgement.

Whenever you read stuff on this forum or any other, ask yourself.... Do I know, or do I just think I know.

There's a big difference.
vtwinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:33 AM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwinwilly
..... BTW... Speed alone doesn't kill. If it did we'd all be dead as we're all sitting on this big green golf ball we call Earth. It's hurling around the sun at 66,600 mph. Now that's some speed.

Instead, speed improperly applied is what kills, and as we don't know the OP's application of speed, we are in no position to pass judgement.

Whenever you read stuff on this forum or any other, ask yourself.... Do I know, or do I just think I know.

There's a big difference.
I know this - if something the size of earth jumped into it's path neither you nor anyone else would be able to stop the collision or navigate around it. It's the failure to stop or the sudden stop that will kill you. My judgment is this - horse feathers.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:37 AM   #33

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepill View Post
Nitrous, boy - You need nitrous!!!
dont forget headers, KN aircleaner, slicks, and wheelie bars. Might put a turbo on it also. you might get up to 85
hanko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:40 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post

I know this - if something the size of earth jumped into it's path neither you nor anyone else would be able to stop the collision or navigate around it. It's the failure to stop or the sudden stop that will kill you. My judgment is this - horse feathers.
... And yet nothing the size of the Earth has ever jumped in your path.

Hmmm... Do I know this, or do I just think I know this?
Old 01-16-2014, 10:49 AM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
A few points of caution...doing this places the life of the engine under your right foot -
Best luck

...and also the lives of you, your passengers, and those who share the road with you.

My DP will exceed 70 MPH, maybe even more than 75, but my kid-loving heart won't allow it.
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:04 AM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwinwilly

... And yet nothing the size of the Earth has ever jumped in your path.

Hmmm... Do I know this, or do I just think I know this?
Thank you for pointing out 2 things -
1 - it is never a good idea to carry forward with someone else's silly analogy like the earth and it's speed are somehow related to driving and stopping a Motorhome on earth.

2 - it is sometimes easier to be happy when you don't know everything.

I know both of the above to be true - and think you do to as well. Of course I could be wrong because I do not know everything, but I am happy.

Be safe out there.
Steve
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:23 AM   #37

Done a lot of traveling when limit was 55, still got wherever, high speeds are for cars, not 25,000 lb RV,s slow down and save some life's, What's the rush, slow down and enjoy a Long life!
ltfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:44 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Thank you for pointing out 2 things -
1 - it is never a good idea to carry forward with someone else's silly analogy like the earth and it's speed are somehow related to driving and stopping a Motorhome on earth.

2 - it is sometimes easier to be happy when you don't know everything.

I know both of the above to be true - and think you do to as well. Of course I could be wrong because I do not know everything, but I am happy.

Be safe out there.
Steve
I use the extreme analogy about the speed of the Earth around the Sun to make a point. It is naïve to think it is not relevant. It is the conditions and application of speed that are at issue, not speed alone!

Here in Texas we have the Trans Texas Corridor. Some sections of it have a posted speed limit of 85mph. Who do you think is more of a safety hazard on this road?

a) The OP cruising along at 74mph.

or

b) aauumm who states in post #25 that he drives 57-60 mph?

(Sorry aauumm, I'm just using you as an convenient example here. It's not personal nor meant to offend.)
Old 01-16-2014, 11:55 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
How about a 45,000 lb box on wheels like a commercial bus?. These things pass me when I'm driving a car at 75MPH. Isn't a Prevost motorhome conversion just like a bus?. I'm not saying to drive a motorhome at high speeds (I drive mine 60 - 62 MPH), but commercial busses (Prevost chassis) and light / medium duty trucks (gas motorhome chassis) and 18 wheelers drive at and above the speed limit all the time, and I don't see the interstate highways littered with wrecks of these vehicles - although they do make the news when there is a wreck.

Pure speed doesn't necessarily kill, inappropriate speed for conditions can kill (And yes, buses, 18 wheelers, trucks, and cars, sometimes drive too fast for conditions or traffic. My particular gripe is tailgaters... maybe getting off-topic; too much coffee this morning)
You do see the seperated treads all over the roadways. Each one you see is a potential roll over or crash. Even without the vehicle having the tire failure going over or crashing there is still the chance that the tread and steel belts can take out a automobile or motorcyclist.

On too many motorhomes a tread serperation can come up through the floor and get the passengers. Not that long ago that happened to a couple in a Damon Bunk House model when the tire failed while the kids were sharing the lower bunk as they were traveling down the interstate. The frayed steel belts came up through the bunk killing both the children.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:16 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwinwilly View Post
I use the extreme analogy about the speed of the Earth around the Sun to make a point. It is naïve to think it is not relevant. It is the conditions and application of speed that are at issue, not speed alone!

Here in Texas we have the Trans Texas Corridor. Some sections of it have a posted speed limit of 85mph. Who do you think is more of a safety hazard on this road?

a) The OP cruising along at 74mph.

or

b) aauumm who states in post #25 that he drives 57-60 mph?

(Sorry aauumm, I'm just using you as an convenient example here. It's not personal nor meant to offend.)
No problem, man. I realize that it's not personal. I watch out for the faster vehicles and try not to hinder them in any way. I stay in the right hand lane and put my rear passenger side MH tire on the shoulder edge white line. I realize that other drivers may be "on the clock" and I'm not.

I also leave a lot of room between our vehicle and the vehicle in front of me. I've had to make a few hard stops (accident up ahead and traffic nearly stopped on the interstate in front of me). I had a deer jump into the front side of our first MH and I've had to make hard stops at short yellow lights going through towns. I guess those experiences have made me realize that it takes quite a distance to stop the MH while being pushed by the toad. I added a toad braking system this past summer to help that aspect, even though it is a lightweight toad.

I have no problem with going fast in certain situations. This past summer I did hot laps at Watkins Glen Raceway behind their pace car, in the CRV no less. When I was younger I usually drove hot fast cars. Two of my past cars I got up to 135 mph and that was on a public highway (deserted) with tires rated for that speed. So, I understand what you are saying.
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:57 PM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Some of this thread reminds me of what a former co-worker used to say:

"If you don't like my driving, stay off the sidewalk!"

SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:11 PM   #42

I do know for a fact that my 2002 Fleetwood Revolution will do all that is on the speedometer and the nice thing is she is very stable at those speeds but do not run that fast. Had a problem with a 4 wheeler and had to get away from them. But at 80 mph she really held the road well. Now I have rented some class c in the passed I would not drive 65 mph because they were all over the road.

I say Know your equipment!
GregOk80 is offline   Reply With Quote