Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2014, 06:06 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Driver Fatigue

My fatigue is not from sway, roll, wind, trucks or over correction. It is from our vehicles being nearly as wide as most roads and trying to keep it centered to slightly to the right. The rumble strips especially on I-44 thru Mo. are right on the outside continuous white line. Varying even a foot either way gets us on the the "Rumble" or too close to the center interrupted white line.
All this attention causes me fatigue.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2014, 06:20 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
The rumble strips don't bother me at all the few times I hit them,
just chill out and enjoy the ride knowing they are there to help you figure out when you are NOT in the lines

understand what the R in rv stands for and know there's really no rush to get there so slow down so you can keep it "between the lines"
Old 06-23-2014, 06:38 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We recently did a trip through Missouri on I-44 & encountered said rumble strips. Sometimes, they even came into the lane. It was especially noticeable if a big rig passed us. I drove on them less than DH, but still, they really cramped our style.
Textronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:36 PM   #4

Those MO highways, are made for the older model M/Hs with the narrow wheel track & your F53 has a wider track, so less road way space before you over the rumble strips.

After over 20 years of over the road trucking, I can tell you what real driver fatigue is.
On the road Sunday, drive all night to unload Monday, pick a load up Monday going back home by Tuesday morning & when you get back dispatch has a load waiting on you to go right back out quick as you can. No rest & you climb in that cab & go at it again. If you want to keep your job you'll roll or they'll get someone else to take your place & most wonder why so many truck wrecks at night.
Nril
Old 06-23-2014, 10:00 PM   #5

Highway 10 from Gore, ok to Greenleaf state park not only has no rumble strips, it has no shoulder. That stretch of road really got me frazzled. Fear of right side stepping off the pavement.

Sent from my iPad2 using iRV2 - RV Forum
Virago-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:48 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
No matter how you slice it, driving an RV requires more attention and energy than driving a car. RV's are a lot less forgiving of all sorts of things. Narrow roads, winding roads, steep hills, stopping distances, crowded parking lots, sharp turns, low overhangs, incorrect tire pressures and the list goes on. All of it goes on the weigh scale of safety and you have to make sure that you don't let the fatigue outweigh your ability to drive successfully. What is required more than anything else is an honest assessment of where you are at any given time and the sense to recognize when you need to change something or else risk an accident.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:01 AM   #7

Obsessing over your lane pisition can really wear you out. I do what I was taught many years ago in driver education class: aim high. Look as far down the road as you can. Your lane position will pretty much take care of itself if you focus farther down the road.
Old 06-24-2014, 02:25 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mo View Post
Obsessing over your lane pisition can really wear you out. I do what I was taught many years ago in driver education class: aim high. Look as far down the road as you can. Your lane position will pretty much take care of itself if you focus farther down the road.
Remember >> All Good Kids Like Milk

Aim high ...like throwing a ball..look where you are going down the road
Get The Big Picture...see now the road as far as you can...curb to curb
Keep Your Eyes Moving...don't stare ..move your eyes...mirror to mirror
Leave Yourself An Out....leave yourself a space in front and each side..watch the other guys
Make Sure They See You...use eye to eye contact..signals...horn....
Chuck
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 02:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster52 View Post

Leave Yourself An Out....leave yourself a space in front and each side..watch the other guys
Chuck
As I was writing "aim high" several of these other lines were rolling around in my head. I was not, however, taught the mnemonic. Good stuff.
Old 06-24-2014, 02:45 PM   #10

I use the drivers side ac vent on dash to align with the centerline, this keeps me from constantly looking at mirrors to see where I am.
Almeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 02:53 PM   #11

This tip is from an old Huey pilot who used a grease pencil X on the windshield to fire rockets.

Get into your comfortable driving position. Start down the road, either do it yourself or have your wife put a small grease pencil line about half way up the inside of the windshield (farther ahead sight picture) and on the bottom part of the windshield (close in sight picture). Both marks should be where you feel the coach is traveling centered on your lane. Keeping the marks in the center of the two tire paths visible on most highways gives a quick reference. Mirrors, etc, should still be used.

If your are frustrated with crazy drivers, think of the line is a sight picture and pretend to put a pair of rockets into the idiot. It might relieve some frustration.

The grease pencil line is easily removed with any window cleaner.
BBQ Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 04:16 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
I know exactly what the OP means. The rumble strips are much closer to the roadway on MO. roads that most others. I have two routes I can take to the gulf shores area and I now prefer the Ala. route over the MO. and MS. route. Those stripes should be on the shoulder and not on the roadway. I'm sure all this is due to the Fed Hgwy Adm. rules.
ghutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:05 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I know when I got my Class A the first few trips were.. Well,, Scary. I mean this puppy is BIG.. Even my brother, who drove over the road semis for most of his life says a class a is big (six inches wider than his semi)

With time I got used to it, a steering stablizer and a track bar helped, I highly recommend them

My Steering stabilizer is a Blue Ox chosed due to the ability to re-center from the driver's seat no wrench needed,,, I under Safe-T-Steer now has that ability at least as an option.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:19 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster52 View Post

Chuck
The Smith System of Defensive Driving In my years with AT&T we went thru the training quite often. I still use the techniques every time I drive.

Get the big picture and leave yourself an out are invaluable when driving a big vehicle.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
driver