Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2021, 02:43 PM   #1

Driving 'strange' fuel at quarter tank

Hi there,

I'm new here. We recently purchased a new to us 96 georgie boy cruise air. Took a local trip to be sure we knew how everything worked before a cross country drive from AZ to IL. On the way there, brakes went out. Replaced rear passenger pad, rotor, cylinder, and back on the road. Once in IL, needed the front calipers cleaned and lubed, so now we have working brakes, which is always a good thing!

On the way home now, and as we're getting to 1/4 tank, it's not doing well up small hills and as we were stopping for the night, the gas pedal didn't seem to do much. We're staying at the campground an extra night, hopefully getting to a mechanic tomorrow. I've searched possible causes with little success, as most things I'm finding about low gas has to do with the generator.

We're going to add gas to see if we're lucky enough that the poor performance is simply low fuel. (While driving, we were in high winds that caused the coach to list to the passenger side, if that matters.)

Anyone have experience with something like this? Any guesses if we'll be lucky enough to be able to just fill the tank and be good? Or more likely the fuel pump is shot?

Additional info: Ford chassis, with about 75k miles. No issues, aside from the brakes, this whole trip, which will be about 4000 miles round trip when it's all said and done.

Thanks!
Shelbean91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2021, 03:12 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
First off, Welcome to IRV2!

If it has been sitting for a long time, it's possible the fuel filter is gummed up. I would try that first before working on the fuel pump.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 03:19 PM   #3

Fuel injected correct? Check fuel pressure at the rail on the engine. If low fuel pressure... could be clogged fuel filter or weak fuel pump.
Clogged cat?
Clogged air filter?
Transmission slipping?
2017 22K Bounder 415/6spd/5:38s
2018 F150 Lariat 502A 4X4 Toad & Tow Vehicle
2023 Rockwood GeoPro 20BHS
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 03:31 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies. I'm not very mechanically inclined, so I will be leaving to the professionals.

Prior to this long drive, it was used 3-4 times a year, so I'm not sure if that's a long time to sit, but the dust of the desert wrecks all sorts of havoc on passenger cars, so I imagine it's even more on these vehicles.

Thank you for the insight as to things it could be. That's good to know going in. Right now, we're stuck about 600 miles from home until we figure it out.
Old 06-24-2021, 03:52 PM   #5

I would not put 100% faith in the fuel gauge until I know the coach better. You could be very close to running out (much closer than 1/4 tank) and that is reason for poor performance also. I always reset the trip Odometer and watch it as well as the fuel gauge to determine my next fuel stop.
2001 Country Coach Intrigue "Chef's Getaway" #11199
dfuelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 03:59 PM   #6

It's my hope that the fuel gauge is off and this is a good learning experience.

Thank you for sharing.
Old 06-24-2021, 04:02 PM   #7

Yea, I had an old coach that had no fuel gauge. When the generator quit, it was time for a gas stop. lol
2017 22K Bounder 415/6spd/5:38s
2018 F150 Lariat 502A 4X4 Toad & Tow Vehicle
2023 Rockwood GeoPro 20BHS
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 10:29 AM   #8

Had fuel delivered using our roadside assistance and that seemed to do the trick. Thanks for the help. Good learning experience and I'm very happy it happened near where we were stopping for free night and only 3 miles from a gas station!
Old 06-25-2021, 04:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelbean91 View Post
Had fuel delivered using our roadside assistance and that seemed to do the trick. Thanks for the help. Good learning experience and I'm very happy it happened near where we were stopping for free night and only 3 miles from a gas station!
You should know how much fuel RSA provided. With any luck you recall the mileage or know the mileage between where you were and where you are. Go fill the tank. Compare the total of the two to the tank capacity. Drive, say, 100 miles. Gas up again and find your actual mileage. Then you should have a close approximation of how accurate (or otherwise) the fuel gauge might be.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 09:04 AM   #10

It's been my experience that F-53 fuel gauges are notoriously inaccurate. I fill mine up and then drive 250 miles before the gauge even moves off F.

I always refill before it gets to half a tank.
Old 06-28-2021, 09:54 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Once a year I add five cans of Seafoam to my 75 gallon gas tank right before a trip. On that trip I run the generator at least an hour.

I suggest you do the same.

Also when my gas gauge gets down to around a half tank I start looking for a gas station, especially out here in the west where you can go 75 miles and never see a gas station.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 02:24 AM   #12

When going up a hill the fuel will settle to the rear of the tank. If the tank is low on fuel and the fuel uptake is in the front of the tank, it's possible you are experiencing fuel starvation. Just keep the tank fuller than a quarter tank.
Kenneth Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 09:29 AM   #13

Thanks again. The same day, we also learned about vapor lock, which apparently at our elevation and with the high temps, (100+), isn't uncommon. I had never heard of it, but we were told keep it over half tank and use premium, and that seemed to help.

I had read and researched before getting our rv, but I guess you can't learn everything, especially with the older ones.

We also had a tire blow out, but I know that has nothing to do with the gas tank. Lol
Old 06-29-2021, 09:48 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelbean91 View Post
Thanks again. The same day, we also learned about vapor lock, which apparently at our elevation and with the high temps, (100+), isn't uncommon. I had never heard of it, but we were told keep it over half tank and use premium, and that seemed to help.

I had read and researched before getting our rv, but I guess you can't learn everything, especially with the older ones.

We also had a tire blow out, but I know that has nothing to do with the gas tank. Lol
The advice to use premium fuel is probably just costing you about 20% more in fuel costs. All modern engines have a knock sensor that will retard timing if the engine starts to get pre-ignition (ping). The only difference between premium and regular fuel is it's resistance to pre-ignition which should not be an issue for you.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, tank