Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2014, 07:27 AM   #1

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Driving with four way flashers

On some F53 chassis the four way flashers are hooked to the circuit that controls the lockup torque. Driving with the four ways on could could cause the lockup clutch to fail.
Something I have read on a transmission repair site.
Some people when pulling on a long hill or driving in foggy conditions put there four ways on.
Just thought I would pass this on.
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2014, 07:40 AM   #2

How to know if a mh has that?

Sent from my iPad2 using iRV2 - RV Forum
Virago-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:48 AM   #3

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virago-Rider View Post
How to know if a mh has that?

Sent from my iPad2 using iRV2 - RV Forum
You would have to get into the schematics. For myself I would not use them when traveling,that is the best insurance. I think it has to do with the fact that if the brakes are being used it would shift the lock up torque
as required by the ECM. This I am only speculating on.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:05 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
What year are you speaking of?
The F53 with the E4OD TC clutch (1989-1997) is operated by grounding a wire by the PCM Computer. The other side of the solenoid is a common power supply to a lot of devices. The Computer has no way of knowing the four way flashers are on.

I think this would also apply to a few years after that with 4R100.
subford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:34 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When I have the 4 ways ON, I'm already with the lock up torque convertor OFF. Climbing or descending. Sounds like a job for "MYTH BUSTERS". DWAI Don't Worry About It.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by narampa View Post
On some F53 chassis the four way flashers are hooked to the circuit that controls the lockup torque. Driving with the four ways on could could cause the lockup clutch to fail.
Some people when pulling on a long hill or driving in foggy conditions put there four ways on.
Could you supply a link to where you found this information.
Neil
Old 06-24-2014, 10:36 AM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Before getting real excited about this possibly damaging poor engineering, I'd like to see links to the source of this information. There's a lot of Ford chassis RVs out there and I've never heard of the emergency flashers causing this issue. Many RVers use flashers when dropped below 40 mph on grades, as per many state laws.

Please show us the link!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 05:32 PM   #8

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hey
Don't shoot the messenger! I don't have a link as I was looking for info on a transmission I am rebuilding. Came across it and did not think much about it except for the fact that I thought I would pass it on. I don't really care if you never heard of it or not. As for the year all it said was some F53 transmissions.
Next time I drive mine I will see if it works on my 98 chassis. Should not be hard to figger out if it does or not.
Now let me get back to this tranny rebuild. If somebody knows anything about this please PM me as I am curious about it also. In the mean time I will try and find where I got it when I get time to go back through my history on my shop computer.
Old 06-24-2014, 05:48 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Not trying to shoot anyone, I just dislike internet myths, legends, and falsehoods spread in the name of 'informing' someone. The only reference to anything like this is that the O/D light will blink when transmission needs servicing.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:01 PM   #10

This is a hard pill to swallow. But I've been in the trucking business for over forty years, and I never run the four ways unless its a emergency. But I do run the tail lights most of the time, and DRLs all the time. If they can't see that, they are going to run over you anyway. I don't think the flashers are related to the transmission in any fashion.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by subford View Post
What year are you speaking of?
The F53 with the E4OD TC clutch (1989-1997) is operated by grounding a wire by the PCM Computer. The other side of the solenoid is a common power supply to a lot of devices. The Computer has no way of knowing the four way flashers are on.

I think this would also apply to a few years after that with 4R100.
You are correct on both transmissions. They both have a constant power feed (via the PCM relay)to the solenoids and the ground is the control.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Not sure where that was mentioned however it is not feasible. The reason why is the 4 ways are always powered up even with the key off. The solenoids in the transmission cannot have power applied to them when the key is off. All power is cut off to the solenoids when the key is off. Plus the power on a E4OD/4R100 is via the PCM power relay and the 5R110W receives power via the PCM.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:33 PM   #13

Quote:
I can absolutely tell you that on my MH...96 32foot Bounder 460/e4od on my last trip..........yeah..........the 4 ways definitely messed with my transmission. I had a story/response that took me 25 min. to type out, but, i accidentally hit the back button on the computer and lost it all, but I'll redo it and tell you what happened.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:40 PM   #14

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ok here is the link, and Bob I am not starting a rumor,I was just relaying this as I thought there were people that would appreciate the fact that maybe it's true. You seem to answer a lot of posts so I would assume that you are a mechanic. I have been a mechanic for 40 years. We still have our fleet and shop but I am kinda semi retired but when I read something interesting I try to pass it on.
Here is the Link Notice for all Ford trucks with the E40D transmission [Archive] - PlowSite.com™ - Snow Plowing & Ice Management Forum