Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2020, 02:08 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Didn't know filters were different between 2wd and 4wd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAVE33RQ View Post
UPDATE..UPDATE..so i procrastinated long enough..i siphoned the trans fluid out of the pan..dropped the pan..and low and behold there is 2wd filter in it..checked the fluid as I was draining it and it was clear..red in color..with no particles in it..looked in the pan and the magnet had the normal wear on it..not shiny metal shavings or surprises in the bottom...gonna pickup a 4wd filter for her..she has the deep pan..i have the driveline brake on it...come to think of it..when i was driving it back home going up hill when i originally bought it..it was sluggish going up hill..which might explain because the 2wd filter couldn't get enough fluid...so i am goona put the pan back up..have some drinks and enjoy the holiday weekend..and get a 4wd filter and rubber gasket during the week....

Happy 4th to all you RVers out there!!!!!
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2020, 02:38 PM   #16

Subford brought that up all of the time.

He said most AP stores sold the wrong one.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 03:01 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by avfordguy View Post
They were different until the E4OD changed to the 4R100 in 1999. The difference was that the 2wd had a shallower pan than the 4x4, so the 4x4 filter has a longer snout to reach the bottom of the pan.

The 4R100 uses the deep pan for both 4x4 and 4x2, and that is where a lot of the confusion comes in. Parts stores often still list a different filter for 4x2 and 4x4.
Old 07-03-2020, 05:13 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
I have run into the long and short filter issue,, Got me too,, Had local shop do trans oil.. he used generic ATf.. I drove it 42 miles to my country house and it was shifting funny and dropped out of OD twice,,

Dropped the pan, wrong fiilter, too short and was not pushed in ot being short it was loose..
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 07:32 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by avfordguy View Post
I have the deeper pan....because of that..i will need the 4wd filter..i was told before that the 2wd filter has the shorter "nozzle on the bottom of the filter and the 4wd has the longer one...i have noticed that they also say whether you have the shallow or deep pan..
BRAVE33RQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 07:35 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
They were different until the E4OD changed to the 4R100 in 1999. The difference was that the 2wd had a shallower pan than the 4x4, so the 4x4 filter has a longer snout to reach the bottom of the pan.

The 4R100 uses the deep pan for both 4x4 and 4x2, and that is where a lot of the confusion comes in. Parts stores often still list a different filter for 4x2 and 4x4.
I should have just dropped the pan right away like subford had said...hopefully I can swing by and get the new filter and gasket..not cork...and get her up and running...
Old 07-03-2020, 07:37 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Subford brought that up all of the time.

He said most AP stores sold the wrong one.
really can't trust a kid who just punches keys on a keyboard...and asks you multiple times what kind of vehicle you have when you tell them you have a 94 ford F53..they give you a weird look.
Old 07-03-2020, 10:47 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I learn something every day, thanks Mark !
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 12:23 PM   #23

So i took a break from the RV to take care of other projects.

So I got back to work on the RV..here is what I recently did..

I removed the trans pan and found that it had a short snout filter in it..i have the deep pan..

Also the trans fluid didn't smell burnt, and was red in color...i did not find any chunks of metal in the bottom of the pan...the magnet had the usual small normal shavings on it...i went to parts store and got the filter for a deep pan and fluid.

I changed out the filter and new gasket...filled the trans with about 14 quarts of fluid...i started the coach, let it warm up..and with my foot on the brake..went through all the gears. Now I can feel it go into drive because if it is in neutral I hear the engine rev..then when I put it into forward or reverse..i can hear the RPM s go down..but it will go forward about a foot and then stop moving..still like something is holding it back...

Gonna chock the wheels and remove the drive shaft at the driveline brake and see if the output shaft will move and speed up when pushing the pedal down
Old 08-01-2020, 01:25 PM   #24

If you didn't drain the torque converter you are 6-7 quarts overfull.
Old 08-01-2020, 02:35 PM   #25

So i didn't drain the torque converter..but i had siphoned the fluid from the dip stick tube..and I want to say it was about 1.5 gallons..mind you the rv is on a bit of an incline..nose high..i dropped the pan and noticed the filter issue..so to let it drain for a bit longer..i put the pan back up..waited about a day...then dropped it down and had about 3 more quarts or so in the pan...

So i put the new filter in..put the pan back up..put about 7 quarts of fluid in...ran the engine...checked the district a d it was dry...so i checked under the coach to see if there is a leak..no leak...i put a few more quarts in..did the same thing...i also ran it through the gears...and checked...so i add a few more...so in total was about 13 quarts. I had the rv running..pulled the dipstick..wiped it off and checked...now it was in normal range.
Old 08-11-2020, 12:25 PM   #26

There is a good video on You-Tube by Precision Transmission on this trans. Might be worth a look.
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote