Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2022, 04:04 PM   #1

E450: Gas pedal dead. Powertrain fault light on.

I have a 2016 Ford E450. It's was working fine when I parked it about three weeks ago.

I started it today and it initially started okay but then ...
  • The gas pedal / accelerator does nothing.
  • The wrench "powertrain fault" light is on.
  • The "service engine soon" light is on.
  • It's idling at normal RPM but running slightly rough.

Unfortunately it's parked about an hour and a half drive from here in a rather remote location. I plan to go there again next weekend.

It sounds like the same problem discussed here:
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/for...-316210-3.html

I will try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes in the hope that the ECU computer just needs rebooting. That seems unlikely but worth a try.

The chances of me fixing it myself are probably quite low so I'll probably need someone to visit but I'm looking for any ideas or suggestions.

I'll buy a scan tool this week to read the codes. Does this seem like a good choice https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A1RFLOVEKXU4JR. I picked it at random and then noticed that it was the "editor's choice" for Ford scan tools on some review site.

Thanks for any help.
tetranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2022, 05:41 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Yep. Yours is throttle by electronics. There's a motor at the throttle body that moves the butterfly. Try resetting it as you mentioned, but likely will need massaged by a Ford tech.
Old 04-11-2022, 10:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetranz View Post
I'll buy a scan tool this week to read the codes. Does this seem like a good choice https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A1RFLOVEKXU4JR. I picked it at random and then noticed that it was the "editor's choice" for Ford scan tools on some review site.
A better choice is Forscan. You can download it free at www.forscan.org. Their webpage shows how to select an adapter to plug into the OBDII port. I bought mine from Amazon for less than $30. You will need either an Android phone or a laptop to use it.
Old 04-11-2022, 01:37 PM   #4

Hey Mark since you mentioned Forscan
I have torquePro to monitor RPMs and Transmission temp, and error codes

Would there be any benefit to getting Forscan?
It costs $6 so not much money, but, I'm wondering what else it might do over the other apps out there?
tthanks
Kip
kwftlaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 01:55 PM   #5

It does almost everything the Ford dealer tech's tool can do. You can change parameters in the modules, read all codes everywhere, and data log.
Old 04-11-2022, 11:01 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I am thinking rodent chewed wiring damage, based on your description, start with a good VISUAL INSPECTION ABOVE AND BELOW?
Old 04-12-2022, 01:14 AM   #7

Look in the throttle body and see if there’s any dirt or crude built up where the butterfly closes. If there is clean it on the upper and lower parts of the body and butterfly with some throttle body cleaner. Spray the cleaner on a rag not on the throttle body itself. An old toothbrush can be used to clean by the shaft.
Old 04-12-2022, 06:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by THenne1713 View Post
I am thinking rodent chewed wiring damage, based on your description, start with a good VISUAL INSPECTION ABOVE AND BELOW?
Someone else suggested that. It sounds quite likely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergioP View Post
Look in the throttle body and see if there’s any dirt or crude built up where the butterfly closes. If there is clean it on the upper and lower parts of the body and butterfly with some throttle body cleaner. Spray the cleaner on a rag not on the throttle body itself. An old toothbrush can be used to clean by the shaft.
Thanks. I'll go equipped.

I'm no expert but the slightly rough idling seemed to me like what I'd expect from maybe one cylinder not firing. It was more of a vibration than a running rough.
Old 04-12-2022, 06:15 AM   #9

Very likely the Throttle Position Sensor. Usually connected to the accelerator pedal.
MevetS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 07:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MevetS View Post
Very likely the Throttle Position Sensor. Usually connected to the accelerator pedal.
Would that make it run slightly rough? It seems like that would cause the dead pedal but not affect the idle smoothness.

I didn't notice the warning light or pedal issue until I got out of the seat and then noticed that it wasn't idling quite as smoothly as it normally does.
Old 04-13-2022, 01:18 AM   #11

Quote:
Would that make it run slightly rough? It seems like that would cause the dead pedal but not affect the idle smoothness.

I didn't notice the warning light or pedal issue until I got out of the seat and then noticed that it wasn't idling quite as smoothly as it normally does.
Not sure about the running rough, but would cause a "dead" pedal. Running rough, in my experience, is typically related to a chassis battery issue, on a gasser. But it doesn't necessarily cause a "dead" pedal. More typically a very rough and unresponsive engine.

A TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) can often be under $20. Seems that Ford uses the same one in many applications.
MevetS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 05:57 AM   #12

Quote:
Not sure about the running rough, but would cause a "dead" pedal. Running rough, in my experience, is typically related to a chassis battery issue, on a gasser. But it doesn't necessarily cause a "dead" pedal. More typically a very rough and unresponsive engine.
I don't understand how the battery would cause the engine to run rough. It seems to have plenty of power to crank the starter and start the engine in a second or two.

Quote:
A TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) can often be under $20. Seems that Ford uses the same one in many applications.
Yeah I saw them on Amazon. Some reviewers were warning against getting anything other than a genuine Ford / Motorcraft part. I don't know how valid that concern is.

Anyway ... I'll scan the codes this weekend and do some more investigating and see what I find.
Old 04-13-2022, 11:02 PM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I don't understand how the battery would cause the engine to run rough. It seems to have plenty of power to crank the starter and start the engine in a second or two.

Yeah I saw them on Amazon. Some reviewers were warning against getting anything other than a genuine Ford / Motorcraft part. I don't know how valid that concern is.

Anyway ... I'll scan the codes this weekend and do some more investigating and see what I find.
I have seen some where battery cable was just laid on, and would crank one minute, next would not. One internet poster was even having intermittent dash lights and gages as she drove, that she videoed, and it was battery terminal.
Old 04-14-2022, 12:39 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by THenne1713 View Post
I have seen some where battery cable was just laid on, and would crank one minute, next would not. One internet poster was even having intermittent dash lights and gages as she drove, that she videoed, and it was battery terminal.
Okay thanks. I'll definitely check and clean the battery terminals etc before reconnecting after disconnecting for a few minutes.

Tags
e450, gas, light, power