Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2021, 07:11 AM   #1

EGR Part

1999 v10

Another question which we hope you can help. This part is linked to EGR . Ignition Off , No power to it, Ignition On 12 volt.

Can not feel it click and you can blow air through it when power there or not.

I am sure it suppose to be either closed / open when power on or off.

So assuming it is not working, Is this correct or is it working correctly?

Could this be the cause of erratic tick over problem...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210808_140436.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	177.7 KB
ID:	338765   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210808_140451.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	177.1 KB
ID:	338766  

Destination Unknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2021, 07:53 AM   #2

EGR Part

That does sound bad. It should not pass air when it’s unplugged. But maybe only in one direction. One side goes to engine vacuum, the other to the EGR. The PCM duty cycles the valve to control the amount of EGR gas flow. (As measured by the DPFE system.) Should be no EGR flow at idle. It there is, it will tick over (‘idle” here in the states) rough.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 08:42 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tderonne View Post
That does sound bad. It should not pass air when it’s unplugged. But maybe only in one direction. One side goes to engine vacuum, the other to the EGR. The PCM duty cycles the valve to control the amount of EGR gas flow. (As measured by the DPFE system.) Should be no EGR flow at idle. It there is, it will tick over (‘idle” here in the states) rough.
Thanks . Yes thought itwas not right, so will get one ordered.

But if it is faulty should a fault code come up !
Old 08-08-2021, 10:18 AM   #4

With the engine running at idle, apply a vacuum to the egr valve. If the engine dies and run rough the valve is probably good.
Old 08-08-2021, 11:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
With the engine running at idle, apply a vacuum to the egr valve. If the engine dies and run rough the valve is probably good.
Thanks

As we have ordered the Solinoid, we have ordered the EGR valve as well as all parts are 20 year old now and not that expensive.
Old 08-08-2021, 12:01 PM   #6

That is where solenoid.. it passes air all the time.. it bleeds off small amount of air.. just pop top cover off and you will see an orifice and tiny little filter.. so it is ok.. that is how it works.. unless you have her code.. do not touch get valve.. get yourself ford obd1 code reader.. less than 40.00 at auto parts store.. on mobile will tell you more later
Old 08-08-2021, 12:08 PM   #7

Sorry.. you are obd2 not obd1.. got in hurry.. the solenoid is ok.. I will read over your previous posts tonight and text back.. but don't touch egr unless that is obd2 code..
Old 08-08-2021, 01:26 PM   #8

Just got home.. so when is last time.. you took off throttle body.. and really cleaned back of tbi, tooth brush and tbi, cleaner.. ??? And when is last time I,A,C, was replaced ?? Can to post a pick up your e,g,r, valve? Keep us posted
Old 08-08-2021, 02:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by donr103 View Post
Just got home.. so when is last time.. you took off throttle body.. and really cleaned back of tbi, tooth brush and tbi, cleaner.. ??? And when is last time I,A,C, was replaced ?? Can to post a pick up your e,g,r, valve? Keep us posted
Sorry can you give more info on the TBI please.

We have replaced the IAC few years ago.

Throttle body are you saying take off complete unit and check, clean

We have put other posts on re erratic tick over, stating codes
Old 08-08-2021, 07:17 PM   #10

Yes. Pull complete unit .. get new t,b,I, gasket.. [ sorry.. spell checker makes me use commas for abbreviation]... also clean inside of intake with carb cleaner.. only use t,b,I, cleaner on t,b,i,... carb cleaner too strong for t,b,i,.. but pop the top off e,g,r, solenoid and you will see what I mean.. it's made to bleed off vacuum to e,g,r. To adjust the e,g,r, valve.. the computer controls the flow of e,g,r, and uses that solenoid to to adjust the position of e,g,r, valve..i bypassed mine.. and never regretted it.. It make no sense to me.. to send hot, dirty exhaust gasses back into intake.. do you have emission inspection ? Next did o2 sensor change anything ? Do you have 4 each o2 sensors? So when was last time you changed T,P,S, ? That will act like you described.. did eng start acting up after you changed IAC, I would get a new IAC, gasket and pull it off and clean it and check it.. see if warn or dirty again.. when you pull TBI, you will see all the gunk in intake and accumulated on back of TBI, use tooth brush to clean TBI, with tbi, cleaner and spray tbi, cleaner into each of those tiny holes.. [ no wire brush on tbi, ] .and rags and rubber gloves soaked with carb cleaner to remove gunk to clean as far back in intake throat as you can with out taking intake off.. [ don't spray a large amount of carb cleaner down in intake.. just some on sides and wipe out gunk with soaked rags.. now is good time to check pvc, of course you have new spark plugs wires and new plugs in RIGHT.? Keep us posted
Old 08-08-2021, 07:19 PM   #11

Oh.. do you have a repair book for eng?
Old 08-09-2021, 03:10 AM   #12

Quote:
Oh.. do you have a repair book for eng?
We have the rebuild manual as had to refurbish top end a couple years back.
Old 08-09-2021, 03:18 AM   #13

Quote:
Yes. Pull complete unit .. get new t,b,I, gasket.. [ sorry.. spell checker makes me use commas for abbreviation]... also clean inside of intake with carb cleaner.. only use t,b,I, cleaner on t,b,i,... carb cleaner too strong for t,b,i,.. but pop the top off e,g,r, solenoid and you will see what I mean.. it's made to bleed off vacuum to e,g,r. To adjust the e,g,r, valve.. the computer controls the flow of e,g,r, and uses that solenoid to to adjust the position of e,g,r, valve..i bypassed mine.. and never regretted it.. It make no sense to me.. to send hot, dirty exhaust gasses back into intake.. do you have emission inspection ? Next did o2 sensor change anything ? Do you have 4 each o2 sensors? So when was last time you changed T,P,S, ? That will act like you described.. did eng start acting up after you changed IAC, I would get a new IAC, gasket and pull it off and clean it and check it.. see if warn or dirty again.. when you pull TBI, you will see all the gunk in intake and accumulated on back of TBI, use tooth brush to clean TBI, with tbi, cleaner and spray tbi, cleaner into each of those tiny holes.. [ no wire brush on tbi, ] .and rags and rubber gloves soaked with carb cleaner to remove gunk to clean as far back in intake throat as you can with out taking intake off.. [ don't spray a large amount of carb cleaner down in intake.. just some on sides and wipe out gunk with soaked rags.. now is good time to check pvc, of course you have new spark plugs wires and new plugs in RIGHT.? Keep us posted
Thanks
Have on order EGR solinoid and Valve so will change them anyway.

As Rockauto listed two 02 sensors on each bank, so ordered the four. But after asking on here looks like we only have the ones just after the manifold so that was annoying. Have not fitted yet as we do not want fitting problem on road. So most of the jobs will be done later in year.

When we rebuild the heads a couple years ago, plugs, ect all changed.

Have ordered Cleaner so once arrive can clean the IAC, possibly other stuff if can get into it.

Regarding parts from Rockauto, We live in UK so shopping takes a couple of weeks.
Old 08-09-2021, 09:04 AM   #14

So I strongly suggest.. close re inspection of plug wires and spark plugs.. you don't have cap and rotor for distributor correct ? Over here many posts on plug wires burning up due to poor air circulation over eng.. sometimes you can check at night, mist some water on them and look for blue arcing.. and pull and resistance check each one.. Pull plugs too.. so ford puts same eng and trans in pickup trucks as they do rv.. your rv is just a ford pickup with big frame.. and rv on it.. so go on line and order ford pickup repair book, same yr and eng and trans and yr your rv.. something like ford f250 to f350 1999.. read book description see if they list v10.. if not use ford excursion 1999 ford v10.. that will get you specs and trouble shooting.. for the engine.. also here in USA we take it for granted you have done the basic stuff.. checked fuel pressure, good clean fresh fuel, changed fuel filter ect.. keep us posted.. Do you have to have rv emission certification over there? Also keep your old parts.. don't toss them.. they make great spares or you may need to put them back on..