Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2021, 07:50 AM   #1

Electrical Gremlin

Good morning all!

First - an apology if this is in the wrong section.

I have a 2008 Fleetwood Southwind 32 with a Ford V10. I am unable to find a schematic for the fuse panel located under the dash to the left of the emergency brake.

Current situation is I have a 10-amp fuse that is constantly blowing. Three systems are currently inoperable - all presumably due to this fuse since they went out at the same time. The are:
Leveling system
Electric steps
Dash fan

It seems there may be a relay that controls these - however the manuals supplied with the rig donít give much info.

Does anyone have any idea where to find a schematic - or where to start the trouble-shooting process?

When a new fuse is installed, it blows instantly... so there is an obvious short

Thanks for the help!
Dealbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2021, 08:53 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Sometimes inside the lid covering an electrical panel has more information on them as to what covers what.

There are several who may respond who do have access to the type of schematics you're looking for.

Until you have that info you could remove a series of relays that might control one or more of those three systems. Then install a fuse. If it does not blow add a relay until it does and that should tell you something. As you stated if it blows immediately that is a sure sign of a direct short to ground.

You could also unplug the steps and the leveling system and insert another fuse. No blow it could be in the fan. I also think each system may also have an inline fuse which could also be removed. It's a process of elimination for sure.

Just some thoughts of what I'd do if I couldn't find a schematic.
Old 03-28-2021, 09:55 AM   #3

Thanks Tejay

Great idea on the relays. turns out the steps were another issue that I was able to solve pretty easily. Fuses still burn out.

The panel for the fuse box is missing, so unfortunately that path is unavailable. There are a number of relays above the fuse - I will give that a shot and keep you posted.

Thanks again!

J
Old 03-28-2021, 12:18 PM   #4

You don't have to keep wasting fuses. Just remove the fuse and connect a digital ohm meter to the load (non-hot) side of the fuse holder. Then disconnect relays until the resistance is above (preferably well above) 1.5 ohms.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 02:58 PM   #5

Good point - infinite resistance would mean open circuit, correct?
Old 03-28-2021, 03:19 PM   #6

To clarify, I meant to say connect the ohm meter between the load side of the fuse holder and ground.

Joel
Old 03-28-2021, 05:57 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Get your VIN and call Ford. They will send you a owners manual for free. It has a schematic of the fuse panel in it.
Check your BCC and make sure the two circuit breakers are not tripped.
Old 04-02-2021, 12:15 PM   #8

Joel - relays aren’t the problem - so if the ignition is on and I test the circuit this way, and there is virtually no resistance, where would you first look in the blower motor circuit for a short? Is it possible for the motor to be the culprit - even if the fan switch is off?
Old 04-02-2021, 12:27 PM   #9

Check eBay
Old 04-02-2021, 01:50 PM   #10

Unless you have some really strange wiring, I would think that the blower motor could not be the cause of your problem.

Joel
Old 04-02-2021, 03:07 PM   #11

Ok - problem solved... the 10-amp fuse is tied to a relay under the hood (there are 5 in the relay box). Opened the box and relays were dusty. Tested then all till I found the one that was the culprit - a bit of dust inside the compartment was causing the relay to short. Back in business.
Old 04-02-2021, 11:55 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There is MUCH on internet on FORD F53 "stripped chassis"/ Class-A, including website with MUCH and many wiring diagrams on a Southwind (not sure of year) maintained by a Southwind owner, but FORD OWNER MANUALS for the f53 on many websites, which include fuse box diagrams; (maybe even posted here on IRV2 in FILES area?)
Old 04-03-2021, 05:41 AM   #13

Thanks Terry! I have the one from Ford specifically, it just didn't specify the relay locations. I will start digging around - thanks for the help!
Old 04-07-2021, 07:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by THenne1713 View Post
There is MUCH on internet on FORD F53 "stripped chassis"/ Class-A, including website with MUCH and many wiring diagrams on a Southwind (not sure of year) maintained by a Southwind owner, but FORD OWNER MANUALS for the f53 on many websites, which include fuse box diagrams; (maybe even posted here on IRV2 in FILES area?)
I just went through a very frustrating problem involving fuses with my 2015 Fleetwood Flair ac/heat dash blower motor. Found all the F53 fuse locations. Pulled and tested every fuse I found. All were good. Fleetwood installs there own fuses which were wired tied up in the dash above the emergency brake. No identification at all. 25 amp fuse was blown. Fixed my a/c fan problem. I was about to give up and take it to the local Ford place which I doubt they would have even known.

Tags
electric, electrical