RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2020, 10:04 AM   #1

Engine Failure

Two days into our annual six month trip, we experienced a catastrophic engine failure at 60,350 miles, for reasons not yet fully understood. (2014 Ford V10 F53 10 cylinder, Winne Adventurer 37F)

The issue is the Ford rebuilt motor recently installed will not accelerate past 62-64 mph. There are no faults codes showing up, the ECU has been updated. What could be causing this?

The shop tells me they are stumped. I previously had the 5star tune done, but that tune is not in the ECU currently.

Please know the shop doing the repairs is a Ford authorized repair center, in another state where we broke down. I am getting all my information from the shop, as I can’t not easily commute between my stick and brick home in FL and the shop in GA.

What does the collective wisdom of this page think is the issue?
5 Star Tune, Banks Power Pack #49380
WineLuvrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2020, 10:14 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Can the shop query the ECU to see if the speed limiter is set that low? OR, you could reinstall the 5 STAR and set it yourself to see if that solves the problem. just wondering....
Tom & Kay +KAISER--Miniature Schnauzer// TIFFIN model ?? (decisions, decisions) -2013 Bounder Classic 34M, Tireminder A1A / CHF f+r / 5-STAR / 2002 Jeep Wrangler 1985 Mobile Traveler M-260RDB/ 1993 SOUTHWIND 30E/ 2009 COUGAR 29RKS 5ver
SimRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 10:15 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
OK.. you had an issue and got a rebuilt... and the rebuilt will not go past.. 62-64..

If that is correct,, Cats may be clogged from the failure of original motor.. been down that road..

otherwise without being at the vehicle to hear ir, watch the data flow and such.. It is a complete toss up...
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 12:35 PM   #4

It should be simple enough for the shop to do a volumetric efficiency test and get an idea what the point of failure is. sibe makes a good point about converters being clogged. Even if they didn't do a VE test the exhaust is easily tested with a back pressure gauge.

You said "Ford authorized". If that means the folks there are dealership type technicians it's possible they have done neither test. They tend to go by the official Ford troubleshooting charts. Problems that fall outside those charts tend to stump the heck out of them.

Since the coach sounds as if it works fine other than being able to exceed speed limits my first thought would be to take it somewhere else. Preferably FL. Lots of RV's there and many folks here able to recommend a shop to take it to closer to home.

Were I to guess, I'd say it was something actually minor and probably dumb. Plugs for two sensors swapped or something. Might still be a job to find out exactly what though.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 03:44 PM   #5

Someone I know with a 2008 V10 Jayco had the same/similar issue this past winter,but his wouldn’t go over 50mph and acceleration below that was slow. No OB2 codes and below 50 mph on flat ground he said it seem to run ok. Lucky for him when the shop began blindly swapping parts to look for a solution, the first part they replaced (throttle position sensor) was the solution,
Old 09-29-2020, 08:23 PM   #6

Is it getting full travel on the throttle? Uncommon on a gasser but real common on older diesels. My '88 Itasca 454 ci was not getting full throttle when I bought it.
As mentioned it could be the cat. Easy way to test this is to loosen the bolts that connect the cat and exhaust pipe if it has them.
In the shop we would use the back pressure gauge and if it indicated the cat might be plugged we would confirm this by drilling a 3/4" hole in the pipe and test driving the vehicle.
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 06:11 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A clogged CAT sounds really plausible as it won't normally cause the money light (check engine) to come on. If the catastrophic failure dumped a load of oil into the exhaust that could be the cause. The shop could do a pressure test to check rather than opening up the piping to do a visual.

Throttle body problems are a bit more distant. When you turn the ignition key from off to run one of the test the ECU does is to command the throttle to full open and full close (electronic throttle starting with model year 2006). If the feedback values don't match expected the ECU will declare a throttle fault and won't allow any throttle movement. Call it super limp mode as all you'll get is idle.
Old 10-02-2020, 07:37 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Sweetbriar, is correct!! Somebody has to check for back pressure building. A pressure gauge installed down the exhaust will increase in pressure from idle because the CAT can't keep up with the increased flow if it's slightly clogged. The sooner the pressure builds the more likely the CAT is clogged. When an engine goes from idle to full power the exhaust pressure should not build up causing much if any back pressure. Those things have to be tested to be eliminated as the problem.

The issue with today's techs is they seldom see these type of issues and rely to much on scanner tests. Even before we had CATS I've even seen a rusted exhaust pipe have interior metal fold over clogging an exhaust. It drove fine until it couldn't get the exhaust gases out fast enough to go much above 50 MPH.

We'd drill a small hole and install the pressure gauge. When done just use a sheet metal screw to cover the hole or weld it shut with a wire feed welder.

Tags
engine