Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2019, 03:45 PM   #29

fuel issue

Pretty sure there is a fuel pump relay that can be swapped out with another relay to eliminate that .

found this

A voltmeter or test light on the DG/YE input lead to the Inertia Switch will tell you if you are even getting 12v power to it.
The fuel pump power is provided by the Fuel Pump Relay, to the Inertia Switch, then on to the pump.
Your problem may just be the Fuel Pump Relay contacts are bad.

Pull the PCM and fuel pump relays out and set them aside. Then pull the horn and blower relays and put them in where the PCM and fuel pump relays were. Try starting the engine now.
Over the years I have found more relays bad for the PCM than the fuel pump. The PCM relay powers the fuel pump relay.
If this doesn't help I would lift the fuse - relay block and look for corroded wires or connectors on the bottom side.
tiffy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2019, 10:44 PM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
RE: TeJay's comment about smacking the tank with a deadblow hammer:
Many years ago I owned an MG. Occasionally while driving it, the electric fuel pump (under the floor behind the passenger seat) would simply cut out. I became adept at reaching behind the seat and smacking the floor with the brass mallet used for the wheel hubs (thereby restarting the pump) without looking while still in motion. This story doesn't help your situation but I thought you might get a chuckle out of it.
Dave RVM#66 and Carol
1998 Pace Arrow Vision
Seeing the USA - 200 miles at a time
daveandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 07:57 AM   #31

Thanks everyone for the help. We will beat this thing and be sure to put the answer to the problem here in order to be an aid for anyone with the same problem in the future.

When running, I can definitely here the fuel pump at the open cap. So, the pump isn't running and even dies while idling on occasion. Searching an electrical answer.

I did switch out the fuel relay with the horn relay previously, but I never thought of the PCM. I am going to try that today.

I have a diagram of this power distribution box, but I am not completely sure it is the right one. They make this exact looking box but with different configurations. If anyone has picture for the 'power distribution box' for the 99 Ford (not chevy) Bounder, I would love to be sure I have the right information.

I have beat on the fuel tank myself, back when I though it might be stuck. It never helped me, but I am pretty sure now that the pump isn't my problem.

Marcus
Old 11-18-2019, 08:01 AM   #32

One other thing, out of curiosity, My battery board is bad, causing the switch between the house and coach batteries not to close, so when I set up my unit, I plug in a trickle charger to the battery. Could this cause electrical problems with extended use?
Old 11-18-2019, 09:38 AM   #33

Ford Super Duty Owner
Marcus,

Here's another type of diagnostic technique!!

Have you done any serious wiggling or moving of wiring harnesses under the hood or under the dog house or under the dash when it won't fire??? You might have a loose/intermittent connection somewhere and by moving wiring harnesses it just might show its self.

A similar thing happened with another poster several years ago. The RV wouldn't crank.and there were no light or anything. The tow truck arrived lifted the RV and he followed them back to a service center. On the way back the lights came back on. When they arrived the RV started and drove until it again lost all voltages. I believe he had a loose ground which was discovered by moving crap around.

Had a friend bring me his car which would stop running for no good reason. We lifted the hood and started the engine. I leaned over the engine and started pocking around when I accidentally put my hand on the flexible rubber air intake and the engine stopped. There was a split in the rubber which allowed air to enter the engine bypassing some air intake sensors causing the engine to stop.

Those type of parts are not usually found at a parts house. I wrapped some tape over/around the split so he could drive home and he eventually got one at the dealer.
Old 11-18-2019, 09:49 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonybrew View Post
One other thing, out of curiosity, My battery board is bad, causing the switch between the house and coach batteries not to close, so when I set up my unit, I plug in a trickle charger to the battery. Could this cause electrical problems with extended use?
Rather doubt it. All it says to the RV system circuitry is that the voltage is up in the 13.xx range. That shouldn't cause any issues.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 02:39 PM   #35

fuel issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveandcarol View Post
RE: TeJay's comment about smacking the tank with a deadblow hammer:
Many years ago I owned an MG. Occasionally while driving it, the electric fuel pump (under the floor behind the passenger seat) would simply cut out. I became adept at reaching behind the seat and smacking the floor with the brass mallet used for the wheel hubs (thereby restarting the pump) without looking while still in motion. This story doesn't help your situation but I thought you might get a chuckle out of it.
Had the exact same issue with my '59 MGA, got tired of wacking it and replaced it
tiffy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 04:30 PM   #36

TeJay

That was advice from a mechanic friend of mine. He said that when the motor was running that I should go around and wiggle wires to see if I could make it die. I haven't tried that yet and now it looks like I won't need to.

Tiffy2000

Thanks for the tip!! I had switched out the fuel pump relay without any luck. But, the PCM. I never thought of that. I switched it out with the blower relay. They have the exact same part number. The vehicle started right up. More importantly, the blower motor no longer works!!

Main two lessons for anyone who reads this far down the line:

1.) You can pop the fuel cap and listen. You will here the pump if it is running. If you need to know pressure, of course you can get a fuel pressure tester kit, but if you just want to know if it is running... a simple ear to the tank will do the trick.

2.) Most important! Don't just switch out the fuel pump relay, switch out the PCM too! The other day I called for a tow-truck that never came. Thank God! If it had, this $10 dollar repair would have probably topped $1000, especially since I would have had to get two hotel rooms for 3 nights just to get to Monday when the shop could take a look at it.

Thanks everyone for all the knowledge. One day when I am not raising 4 kids under 12, I am going to hang out on the forum and help others.

God Bless!!!
Old 11-18-2019, 04:31 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffy2000 View Post
Pretty sure there is a fuel pump relay that can be swapped out with another relay to eliminate that .

found this

A voltmeter or test light on the DG/YE input lead to the Inertia Switch will tell you if you are even getting 12v power to it.
The fuel pump power is provided by the Fuel Pump Relay, to the Inertia Switch, then on to the pump.
Your problem may just be the Fuel Pump Relay contacts are bad.

Pull the PCM and fuel pump relays out and set them aside. Then pull the horn and blower relays and put them in where the PCM and fuel pump relays were. Try starting the engine now.
Over the years I have found more relays bad for the PCM than the fuel pump. The PCM relay powers the fuel pump relay.
If this doesn't help I would lift the fuse - relay block and look for corroded wires or connectors on the bottom side.
So wise! PCM Relay! That was the answer!!!
Old 11-18-2019, 08:49 PM   #38

Gees, a gun shot of diagnostics...
When engine off, take the air filter out. Give a short shot of starting fluid and immediately try to start it. If it starts for at least a second, you have a fuel problem. If it doesn't fire, check for spark.

If it does start, check fuel pressure next. If less then spec (or zero), check for voltage at the fuel pump. If none, check the fuel pump relay and PCM relay. If there is 12 volts, replace the fuel pump...

Edit: so, in reading the last post...the fuel pump relay fixed it?
Old 11-18-2019, 09:17 PM   #39

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to JIMBO34PA Send a message via Yahoo to JIMBO34PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
When engine off, take the air filter out. Give a short shot of starting fluid and immediately try to start it. If it starts for at least a second, you have a fuel problem. If it doesn't fire, check for spark.

If it does start, check fuel pressure next. If less then spec (or zero), check for voltage at the fuel pump. If none, check the fuel pump relay and PCM relay. If there is 12 volts, replace the fuel pump...

No, he said EEC power relay was failure. Key turns EEC power on then ecm cycles fuel pump for a few seconds . Better to be lucky than good sometimes !
Old 11-19-2019, 11:55 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post

Thanks for a little more knowledge. Yep PCM. I won't forget that one!
Old 11-19-2019, 12:30 PM   #41

I'm just glad to see a resolution and also that you took the time to share it with us.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 03:52 PM   #42

Yea, I would rather to be lucky, than good. It has always turned out better for me.

Tags
engine