Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2007, 07:44 PM   #1

I have a dilemna I would like some opinions on. I have a 2007 National Seabreeze 32' on the 20,500# F53. The GAWR are 7,000# front & 13,500# rear. On my last trip all loaded up with full propane & fresh water I weighed in at 6,020# front & 13,600# rear for a total of 19,620# (not towing anything). I was unpleasantly surprised to be overweight on the rear axle as I was only packed up for a weekend family trip. Just full tanks, food, 3 people, and some camping gear. I also have no real way to redistribute load forward. The tanks & cabinets are where they are.

Here is the real problem... I want to replace the hitch to a 1,000# tounge rating and put a cargo platform on there to carry 1,000# of motorcycle. The "lever" calc says this will result in a 2,000# load added to the rear and -850# to the front. My resulting weights would be approx. 15,500# rear and 5,200# front.

My current Goodyear G670 19.5" F rated tires are good for 3,960# x 4 = 15,880#. I could replace them with G670 19.5" G rated for a cushion and a rated load of 17,640#. I plan on adding airbags to help the suspension load. The 362HP V10 can handle it with ease.

The question is, can the axle take the added weight? Where is the weak link? Is it the tires, axle, or suspension? I wonder if the 22,000# F53 has the same axle but just with the higher rated 22.5" tires?

I still may or may not do this and be forced to go the enclosed trailer route so I would appreciate some educated feedback and not just "you're a moron, don't do it" responses. Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2007, 07:44 PM   #2

I have a dilemna I would like some opinions on. I have a 2007 National Seabreeze 32' on the 20,500# F53. The GAWR are 7,000# front & 13,500# rear. On my last trip all loaded up with full propane & fresh water I weighed in at 6,020# front & 13,600# rear for a total of 19,620# (not towing anything). I was unpleasantly surprised to be overweight on the rear axle as I was only packed up for a weekend family trip. Just full tanks, food, 3 people, and some camping gear. I also have no real way to redistribute load forward. The tanks & cabinets are where they are.

Here is the real problem... I want to replace the hitch to a 1,000# tounge rating and put a cargo platform on there to carry 1,000# of motorcycle. The "lever" calc says this will result in a 2,000# load added to the rear and -850# to the front. My resulting weights would be approx. 15,500# rear and 5,200# front.

My current Goodyear G670 19.5" F rated tires are good for 3,960# x 4 = 15,880#. I could replace them with G670 19.5" G rated for a cushion and a rated load of 17,640#. I plan on adding airbags to help the suspension load. The 362HP V10 can handle it with ease.

The question is, can the axle take the added weight? Where is the weak link? Is it the tires, axle, or suspension? I wonder if the 22,000# F53 has the same axle but just with the higher rated 22.5" tires?

I still may or may not do this and be forced to go the enclosed trailer route so I would appreciate some educated feedback and not just "you're a moron, don't do it" responses. Thanks!
Old 06-13-2007, 05:25 AM   #3

I have the same MH that u have. I beefed up my hitch by having 4 inch angle iron welded directly from the Ford frame (not the duraframe) to to the side plates of the hitch, making it at least 10,000lb rating. $150.00 for the welding and it will greatly increase the strength of the hitch and provide added support to the rear of the coach. The Ford chassis will hold more than the rating they show. All manufacturers underscore their load ratings knowing people are going to go and push it to the limit. You are not talking about that much weight here and that chassis can handle it. The 22 inch tires that come on the Seabreeze LX have the same axle as the 1321 that you have. The rear air bags are a must, I tow a 20ft. enclosed trailer that weighs in at around 5000lbs. loaded with aroung 1000lbs. on the tongue and the air bags made all the difference in the world and the coach has no problem carrying it. Enjoy!
Old 06-13-2007, 07:53 AM   #4

Not all 22,000 GVWR chassis have the 22.5" tires.

But more to what you're asking, yes, the axles are the same. Only difference I could find looking through parts manuals were the actual springs. Dana does show a different part number for the whole assembly though.

As for what it can really handle. Who knows? Ford doesn't. Each chassis was tested at it's maximum weight. There's no reason to test higher weights and "see what breaks". I'd be confident that the axle itself would handle the 14,500 rating of the 22,000 pound chassis. But over that, you could be asking for trouble.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 08:32 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
First of all, Welcome to you and nitehawkqb to irv2.
These types of questions always have the same intent and the same answers. The intent of the question is to "justify" doing something that is not "approved" by the manufacturer. The answers are either, 1. "go ahead, the manufacturer always shows low numbers but the unit can handle more" or 2. "don't do it and I dont want to be on the road with someone unsafe like you".

So here is my thought, does adding extra support to the hitch make it stronger? Ask a structurer engineer to be sure. Can I take a rig with a rating of 13500lbs, add air bags and make it SAFE AT 15600LBS? That 15,600lbs is still 1100lbsover what the rating would be if you had a 22,000GVW rig!!! Do you think air bags are designed to do what you expect them to do? Did you ask the manufacturer of the air bags? Will they stand behind the fact that you increased the rating on your rig by almost 16%?

So check with the air bag manufacturer and the structurer engineer and let us know what they say.
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 12:59 PM   #6

Yes, your motorhome has been designed to carry more than it is rated to carry. Why? It's your safety factor.

You probably wouldn't be happy if you overloaded your motorhome by one pound and it fell apart.

On the other hand your safety factor is just that. It gives you some room if things don't go exactly as planned. For example, if a child runs out in front of you, and you are overloaded, you may not be able to stop in time. Or if someone slams on their breaks ahead of you on the freeway and you are overloaded you just might break something causing your rig to jack-knife, or some other bad result.

I'm an engineer in aerospace and safety factors are designed into a product for many reasons. I'm very careful not to exceed the manufactures' recommendations for my motorhome.

Sorry, I know this isn't the answer you want.

JD & Kathy
JD Allen is offline   Reply With Quote