Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2020, 08:36 AM   #29

secret mixture might be 1/2 acetone 1/2 ATF , supposed to be best penetrating oil according to a test I read awhile back
tiffy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2020, 08:55 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_M View Post
You could be right.
I never drill them out anyway, I weld them out. But doing it now instead of later will be easier... might depend on how long he intends to keep his rig.

But with that logic all Ford v10 studs should be changed out every 10 years or so .... broken or not.

As mentioned earlier in the thread...The hard part is finding a shop with the experience do the job efficiently at a decent price.
All 3 statement are EXCELLENT advice !
Old 02-13-2020, 12:20 PM   #31

I have done 3 fords V-8s and the HEMI in my dodge and only had to drill two studs the rest I welded a nut to. But when I worked on Trucks I have done hundreds of them ( not an exaggeration ) the cat engines were known for breaking exhaust studs. But the trick to drilling them is Very slow drill speed and lube and sharp drill bits. If you drill them to fast it hardens the stud and takes the job to a new level that sucks. If a easy out is taking to much effort stop before you break it same with a tap.
Old 02-13-2020, 02:12 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fkrel View Post
I have done 3 fords V-8s and the HEMI in my dodge and only had to drill two studs the rest I welded a nut to. But when I worked on Trucks I have done hundreds of them ( not an exaggeration ) the cat engines were known for breaking exhaust studs. But the trick to drilling them is Very slow drill speed and lube and sharp drill bits. If you drill them to fast it hardens the stud and takes the job to a new level that sucks. If a easy out is taking to much effort stop before you break it same with a tap.

What’s stupid is that even the huge off-road CAT engines only have 3/8” exhaust studs, just more of them.
I’ve been a field welder for CAT dealers for 40 years so try to imagine how many broken exhaust bolts I have removed. I have the CAT exhaust bolt drill jig on my truck, but I’d rather be beat with a stick than have to use it lol
Generally I blow them out with a torch as a second to last resort before drilling.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 09:42 AM   #33

Quote:
What’s stupid is that even the huge off-road CAT engines only have 3/8” exhaust studs, just more of them.
I’ve been a field welder for CAT dealers for 40 years so try to imagine how many broken exhaust bolts I have removed. I have the CAT exhaust bolt drill jig on my truck, but I’d rather be beat with a stick than have to use it lol
Generally I blow them out with a torch as a second to last resort before drilling.

No, what is stupid is that the manufacturers engineers can't install a stud that won't do this.
Old 02-14-2020, 10:46 PM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There is a ford TSB for replacing studs on the v10, the tsb specifies a ss stud part#
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 02:41 AM   #35

avfordguy - thanks. Do you have any specific information on it? I looked it up and it appears there were a few older TSB's on it dating back to at least 2009!

Also, it's been mentioned that the exhaust manifold may be covered under the emissions warranty. Know of any way to find that out?

I, understandably, hesitate to call the dealer and ask if it's covered.

Thanks
Upinsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 12:39 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upinsmoke View Post
avfordguy - thanks. Do you have any specific information on it? I looked it up and it appears there were a few older TSB's on it dating back to at least 2009!

Also, it's been mentioned that the exhaust manifold may be covered under the emissions warranty. Know of any way to find that out?

I, understandably, hesitate to call the dealer and ask if it's covered.

Thanks

The exhaust manifold is listed in in my warranty book emissions parts list as covered.

2018 26K chassis
Old 02-17-2020, 11:07 PM   #37

Quote:
Imagine this working second shift and taking over for someone on first shift that has made a complete mess of the stud extraction by drilling half of the stud and half of the head or breaking a eazy out in the stud or breaking a tap in the stud or using the torch and burning the head and leaving most of the stud. there are some people that have a hard time combing their hair and they are given that kind of a job, makes for a crappy nite fixing someones mess, I'm sure you can relate to that.
Old 02-18-2020, 02:38 AM   #38

Update from OP :(

OP here. I've been in touch with Ford RV section. They say there is no TSB on broken exhaust studs, "they didn't know there was a problem" etc, etc.
My unit was apparently built in April of 2014 and according to them, the unit was past it's 5 year emissions warranty in April of last year so they are NOT going to cover the repair. "Gasp!"
Any information, TSB numbers, links to vids or articles etc would be appreciated. I need proof at this point so second hand stories, although interesting, won't do me much good right now. Other helpful suggestions also welcome.
Thanks
Upinsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 07:51 PM   #39

The warranty on a new motorhome and chassis starts when purchased not when manufactured.
Old 02-19-2020, 09:41 AM   #40

Look in your owners manual for the warranty. It is a federal standard depending on class of the vehicle.
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 10:53 AM   #41

It's not that bad a job in a motorhome chassis, I do them at work on our plow trucks that's a pain, do an online search for ford exhaust repair kit you will find several that come with a template and a few different sizes of drill bits after a hole or two you get the hang of it and it's not too bad the ones around the motor mounts can be a pain but they are also usually the ones in the best shape and com out without much problem
monte433 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 12:53 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upinsmoke View Post
"they didn't know there was a problem"
Thanks
You gotta love it. It's such a prolific issue that like different companies have developed and are selling templates to help with drilling out these broken studs. Because the market for such tools is big enough to warrant such investments. And you have folks chiming in with "Yes, we do those ALL the time."
Then the people at Ford claim to never have heard of such an issue. "Nope, not possible. Nothing we built ever broke ever." Laugh, cry, something.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exhaust