Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2020, 10:33 PM   #15

Well my manual for my 07 f-53 says 6 quarts but its always low on the dipstick at 6 quarts so 6 1/2 quarts puts the oil on dip stick just under the high mark.

I don't know why the manual says 6 on the 07 but some say the newer years says 7.
jackreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2020, 10:43 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackreno View Post
Some say its 6 quarts some say its 7 quarts but when I do my oil change it takes 6.5 to 6.75 quarts with filter change.

Manual says 6 quarts.

How many quarts does yours take.

2008 Bounder.

Go by manual or contact Ford. Before you do make sure you have correct manual?

My manual says 7 quarts (6.6 litres) p137
2019 F53 V10

But when I change oil, I would never just add 7 quarts in the blind even with oil filter. How well you drained, level and oil temps are all factors in variability. After 6 quarts, I measure and add only as required to be BELOW the fill point. I never want to overfill; so I try to stay below that line. I will use left over oil next time (if any)
2019 Sunstar 29VE Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; Nighthawk X4 AC2200 WiFi EX7300; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 10:51 PM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
I was a service manager for 15 years. I received service bullitins from ford and chevy about incorrect dipstick levels.The instructions were to fill both with the amount of oil called for in the owners manual.check the level on the dipstick and make a mark with a file on the dipstick.On my 1999 F53 it shows 1/2 quarts low at 6 quarts.
I filled it to 6 quarts an made a mark on the dipstick and that is the new full mark. Both manufacturers caution against overfilling. Too much oil can cause the crankshaft to hit the oil and cause foaming.
Old 03-23-2020, 07:23 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I was a Ford dealer mechanic in a previous life and when adding the oil quantity specified in the manual, the level was usually in the middle, between "add" and "Full". Adding half a quart of oil put you at the "Max" before being overfull. This debate has been going on for decades even with other Ford mechanics. I add the stated oil quantity after an oil change and maintain it there till the next oil change.
Old 03-23-2020, 08:19 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
I was a service manager for 15 years. I received service bullitins from ford and chevy about incorrect dipstick levels.The instructions were to fill both with the amount of oil called for in the owners manual.check the level on the dipstick and make a mark with a file on the dipstick.On my 1999 F53 it shows 1/2 quarts low at 6 quarts.
I filled it to 6 quarts an made a mark on the dipstick and that is the new full mark. Both manufacturers caution against overfilling. Too much oil can cause the crankshaft to hit the oil and cause foaming.
I think you missed specifying which year models got the bulletins or recalls? My unit is new; my dealer says there is no bulletin on my model 2019 F53 V10

I am 100% sure if I drain 100% of all oil including filter; my model will take exactly 7 quarts with no issues. No where is my DISCLAIMER. My unit is new and I have yet to ever change the oil But I live within 2 miles of a Holiday Inn Express and I change oil in 5 cars, 2 motorcycles and 1 boat all the time throughout the year. I am always within 1/2 quart or so and that variability is due to how much may not have drained out in full due to level etc. or my desire to stop between half way and full to ensure that I never go over.

With that said, if I were to what those bulletins advised, and put in 7 quarts and if it went over the full line, I would go to Detroit and make the Lawyers put that in writing (that it suppose to do that and the dipstick is defective. I can just see someone taking this to heart and filling with 7 qts and say it happen sto be over the fill line, they notch the dipstick as you say, and then years later major engine troubles. The dealer asks why is your dipstick notched and you explain that you have always been overfilling because the dipstick was wrong So much for any kind of warranty repair for what will certainly be a very large bill.
2019 Sunstar 29VE Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; Nighthawk X4 AC2200 WiFi EX7300; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 10:31 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
On my 2015 VIN F53 I have changed the oil and filter myself 7 times. From experience I know that putting in 7 quarts of oil the oil level on the dipstick will be halfway between the two lines on the Ford OEM dipstick. The particular V10 in my RV uses so little oil that I never have to add any between oil changes. When it's time to change the oil at between 5 or 6 thousand miles the oil level will still be at or above the add line. I use the Motocraft FL820S oil filter with internal check valve and Mobil 1 5W20 synthetic.

It still amazes me that this particular V10 uses so little oil. As many have said, the V10 at 38,000 miles seems to still just be getting broken in, at least in my 18,000 lb. GVWR RV.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 10:49 AM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I think you missed specifying which year models got the bulletins or recalls? My unit is new; my dealer says there is no bulletin on my model 2019 F53 V10

I am 100% sure if I drain 100% of all oil including filter; my model will take exactly 7 quarts with no issues. No where is my DISCLAIMER. My unit is new and I have yet to ever change the oil But I live within 2 miles of a Holiday Inn Express and I change oil in 5 cars, 2 motorcycles and 1 boat all the time throughout the year. I am always within 1/2 quart or so and that variability is due to how much may not have drained out in full due to level etc. or my desire to stop between half way and full to ensure that I never go over.

With that said, if I were to what those bulletins advised, and put in um7 quarts and if it went over the full line, I would go to Detroit and make the Lawyers put that in writing (that it suppose to do that and the dipstick is defective. I can just see someone taking this to heart and filling with 7 qts and say it happen sto be over the fill line, they notch the dipstick as you say, and then years later major engine troubles. The dealer asks why is your dipstick notched and you explain that you have always been overfilling because the dipstick was wrong So much for any kind of warranty repair for what will certainly be a very large bill.
So you wind up in court with a offical service bullitin from Ford telling you to do this and they deny coverage. You want it in writing. It already is in writing. No kangaroo court in this country would go against you for following a offical service bullitin from Ford.
Old 03-23-2020, 11:47 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Randlepro has it. Proper full in an engine is usually the center of the acceptable range on the stick. The top line is max the bottom line is minimum. Center is proper fill.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 02:24 PM   #23

According to Ford the 2 valve per cylinder (275 & 310 hp) versions used in the F53 chassis use 6 quarts with a filter. The 3 valve per cylinder models used in the F53 chassis (362 & 340 hp) use 7 quarts with a filter.

There are several other versions on the V10 ranging from 260 hp to 305 hp used in other E series vans, and F series trucks, and motorhomes. They also made other versions for stationary power plants. Depending on the year and model of the vehicle or power plant the amount of oil will vary.

To further complicate things some 2 valve per cylinder engines built in the 2000 - 2002 time frame came from the factory with the wrong dipstick. These engines showed the oil to be a quart low when the proper amount was in the pan. As Ga Traveler mentioned there was a TSB at the time. In addition anyone with the wrong dipstick could take it to the dealer and have it and the tube replaced at no charge.
Old 03-23-2020, 07:58 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
According to Ford the 2 valve per cylinder (275 & 310 hp) versions used in the F53 chassis use 6 quarts with a filter. The 3 valve per cylinder models used in the F53 chassis (362 & 340 hp) use 7 quarts with a filter.
Mine is the 2007 F53 V10 3 valve, my manual says 6 quarts but my dipstick says 6 1/2 quarts for the oil on dipstick is in between the middle and top mark on dipstick.

It does appear that the newer 3 valve V10's manual state 7 quarts.

My 07 F53 must be stuck somewhere in the middle of this confusing oil capacity.

I am either adding to much or not enough, another Ford screw up..

Old 03-23-2020, 08:53 PM   #25

Update :

I found a 2011 F53 manual online and it shows 7 quarts for the oil capacity, Ford made no changes on the V10 or the tranmssion from 2006 to 2015..

So it appears the manuals might be wrong on the 2006 to 2009, could not find the info on 2010.

And the dipsticks might be wrong as well on these years 2006-09, 7 quarts puts my reading slightly above the high mark and 6 quarts puts my reading at the low mark, 6 1/2 quarts puts me in the sweet spot..

So if you are putting in 6 quarts you might be running the oil level to low on the 2006 to 2009 F53's if you go buy the manual..

Another Ford screw up...
Old 03-23-2020, 09:03 PM   #26

My 2008 Baystar took 6.5 with new filter.
Vintage Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 07:05 AM   #27

Unfortunately it's not all that uncommon to find errors in owners manuals and shop manuals. In most cases unless there's a complete model change they only update the previous years manuals with the changes made for the current year.

Back many moons ago I worked as a shop foreman in a large Ford dealership. Between the 1978 and 79 model years many Ford products changed from body on frame to unibody. The 1979 manuals on some models still included the procedures to remove body components to straighten the frame. The current year of those models didn't even have a frame.

I also found errors in the 1986 to 1987 shop manuals. One particular error I remember is the procedure for water pump installation on a 300 CID 6 cylinder. The 1986 edition cautioned in large bold letters that the threads on the shaft holding the pulley to the water pump were left handed. That statement was directly copied to the 1987 manual. The big problem was the belt routing was changed for 1987 and the threads on the shaft were changed to right hand to keep the nut from loosening when the engine was running. I always wondered how many mechanics turned blue in the face trying to remove that nut.

Errors in printed manuals are one of the reasons Ford and other manufacturers went to time sensitive CD's and DVD's. Each disk will only work for 6 months without changing the calendar setting on the computer. They are replaced at 6 month intervals with new disks that have been updated to correct the known errors in the previous one. They also add needed procedures as needed.

As for the 2007 F53 owners manual, the current online version doesn't even mention the 6.8 liter V10 engine oil volume. It only mentions the 5.7 liter V8, which is stated as 6.0 quarts. To my knowledge the 5.7 has never been used in the F53 chassis.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:14 AM   #28

Ford Super Duty Owner
I think the horse is dead. Two valve engine takes 6 qts and 3-valve takes 7 qts. Drain a hot engine (well) add 6 or 7 qts (2 versus 3 valve) and re-mark (if necessary) the dip stick. Maybe the best common sense approach and with 40 + years of experience in this field IMHO your engine will be just fine.

Nothing is 100% bullet proof. Yes things can go wrong!! I'll never obsess over issues that IMO are minimal and don't need it. Life is just to short!!!

As far as a court of law? How many owners go to court over a blown V-10 Ford engine?

We had a 2012 Ford Fusion that could, based on the owners manual, be towed flat. We bought the MH & were told by Ford it couldn't. My Nephew who is a Ford engineer at the F-150 transmission plant said the owners manual is the gospel. If it says it in the manual Ford will, if the transmission goes bad, fix it ONCE. Then they will tell you don't do it again and issue a manual change.