RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2020, 04:44 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Finally got my rear sway bar...

Ok.. my 96 e350 30 ft minnie has no rear sway bar,, IMO it handles well with only 30K on it and I put a set of KYB MH/long specific shocks.. yeah i know what is popular here but I am familar with KYB for powersports.. dont regret..

I ordered a Helwig 7085 from a local but worldwide RV and auto parts distrib,, Keystone Automotive.. I get a family discount too..
Well it was ordered early Aug.. 2 weeks it made to a near UPS dist.. 9 days it was there, declared lost.. Aug 30 a replacement shipped.. came in, Sept 8.. damaged box, hardware gone.. Another special ordered.. same thing.. Finally the hardware kits showed this past wednesday... ..
Looked like my siberian huskys chew toys..

Well the J bolts missing and other stuff that i had no clue what they are in box.. OK I a DIY macguyver..

Well did a loose install of sway bar.. Well mounts can not be level as shown in instruct. and on web.. Well we rotated 7-8 minutes.. Bar now clears mounts..
Dry install links and frame brackets.. The hole illustrated by helwig puts a huge angleon links with bar being rotated a tad/ Well there is another hole up and rearward around an inch.. Nice, all lined up.. snugged as instructed, I made a nice l bracket that caught frame lip like the J bolt would have, even better IMO..

Ratings on this mess..
UPS 0
Distrib 8 could be higher as they should stock this..but...

First ride 6.5-7 . Country roads, 55-65. mph, loaded but just me, no pass or food..

Slower speeds, on off dirt road and into my property etc.. Rate it a 10.. way less Roll/rock..

So YES a good arse rear sway or these funky fixes can help.. The shocks did a great job as proper inflated tires also.. the Sway Bar is icing on the cake..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200927_103321347.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	244.5 KB
ID:	302556   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200927_103313017.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	261.6 KB
ID:	302557  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200927_104050735.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	296.9 KB
ID:	302558  
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2020, 07:55 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibe View Post
Ok.. my 96 e350 30 ft minnie has no rear sway bar,, IMO it handles well with only 30K on it and I put a set of KYB MH/long specific shocks.. yeah i know what is popular here but I am familar with KYB for powersports.. dont regret..

I ordered a Helwig 7085 from a local but worldwide RV and auto parts distrib,, Keystone Automotive.. I get a family discount too..
Well it was ordered early Aug.. 2 weeks it made to a near UPS dist.. 9 days it was there, declared lost.. Aug 30 a replacement shipped.. came in, Sept 8.. damaged box, hardware gone.. Another special ordered.. same thing.. Finally the hardware kits showed this past wednesday... ..
Looked like my siberian huskys chew toys..

Well the J bolts missing and other stuff that i had no clue what they are in box.. OK I a DIY macguyver..

Well did a loose install of sway bar.. Well mounts can not be level as shown in instruct. and on web.. Well we rotated 7-8 minutes.. Bar now clears mounts..
Dry install links and frame brackets.. The hole illustrated by helwig puts a huge angleon links with bar being rotated a tad/ Well there is another hole up and rearward around an inch.. Nice, all lined up.. snugged as instructed, I made a nice l bracket that caught frame lip like the J bolt would have, even better IMO..

Ratings on this mess..
UPS 0
Distrib 8 could be higher as they should stock this..but...

First ride 6.5-7 . Country roads, 55-65. mph, loaded but just me, no pass or food..

Slower speeds, on off dirt road and into my property etc.. Rate it a 10.. way less Roll/rock..

So YES a good arse rear sway or these funky fixes can help.. The shocks did a great job as proper inflated tires also.. the Sway Bar is icing on the cake..
Nice job. Thanks for the pic's. It sure helps when you can see the job
jomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 09:45 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Heading out tomorrow for an open road test,, LOL drove it 120 miles again this week, secondary roads,, NICE so far..
Can't say enough about the KYB shocks,, cheaper at rockauto, good quality IMO.. Had bielstiens on my short bus shuttle convt.. E350 no rear sway bar either from ford.. urgh

Pics do help the DIY guy... THANKS
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rear, sway bar