Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2016, 06:24 PM   #1

Finally got the F53 V-10 exhaust figured out...

after many many many trials that did nothing, some lost power and mpg
most just plain ol made noise...

I have yet to install an after market that did anything but make noise to be honest...

most make more noise and loose power

my newest set up is quiet, way more so than stock and doesn't lose performance

in fact with a meter my v-10 runs quieter than the dash air on low
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2016, 02:21 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
That's nice. Care to share the details?
Old Top Kick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 07:11 AM   #3

Old 06-01-2016, 07:46 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Whats wrong with the OEM system?
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 10:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
Whats wrong with the OEM system?
here's what I came across...in the mid and upper range of rpms there is a horrible to some bass drone...
so I cut open a stock muffler.... interesting to say the least...

(first I must add that I own a muffler shop and have not been able to get an across the board in crease in performace or mpg out of changing out the stock muffler)

the inside of the stock muffler is a series of chambers that work some what like a flow master...that's why they are not quiet

the other thing is that v-10s don't benefit from biger exhaust pipe as far as driveability is concerned...

if you up the pipe size... you loose lowend scavange power and push the torque band up...you really feel it in the take off as the throttle respose is very lazy..

I have done numerous cat back systems all of which fail, and only added drone and noise...

on our test run with my wife last night....never told her of the change, she said... what did you do to the AC fan... why is it so loud,,, about 10db louder than the motor now on high...

my first atemp this go round... I put a magnaflow 3.5 in and out rv muffler

horrible loud... so I added another 6'' round... so with both in line... still done and loud...

so what I did was go back to stock....

then in stead of addin a second muffler (resonator) after the stock muffler..

I put it between the cat and stock muffler drone gone..
infact... it runs down the road at the same db the coach does with the engine off....

so now the loudest thing in my coach...like my last DP is the ac on max high
Old 06-01-2016, 11:34 AM   #6

Interesting.

So what muffler (resonator) did you install?

What would it cost?

Is it legal to do or will law inforcement call this an illegal exhaust modification?

Does it have any warrantee implication?

Pictures?
Old 06-01-2016, 11:39 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
here's what I came across...in the mid and upper range of rpms there is a horrible to some bass drone...
so I cut open a stock muffler.... interesting to say the least...

(first I must add that I own a muffler shop and have not been able to get an across the board in crease in performace or mpg out of changing out the stock muffler)

the inside of the stock muffler is a series of chambers that work some what like a flow master...that's why they are not quiet

the other thing is that v-10s don't benefit from biger exhaust pipe as far as driveability is concerned...

if you up the pipe size... you loose lowend scavange power and push the torque band up...you really feel it in the take off as the throttle respose is very lazy..

I have done numerous cat back systems all of which fail, and only added drone and noise...

on our test run with my wife last night....never told her of the change, she said... what did you do to the AC fan... why is it so loud,,, about 10db louder than the motor now on high...

my first atemp this go round... I put a magnaflow 3.5 in and out rv muffler

horrible loud... so I added another 6'' round... so with both in line... still done and loud...

so what I did was go back to stock....

then in stead of addin a second muffler (resonator) after the stock muffler..

I put it between the cat and stock muffler drone gone..
infact... it runs down the road at the same db the coach does with the engine off....

so now the loudest thing in my coach...like my last DP is the ac on max high
What does this do to the bottom and top end? Power loss or gain? Have you heard of Walker BTM mufflers? They have fairly high flow but are still quiet, much more than Magnaflow. I had the Walker on my Ford F350 diesel and it added a lot to the top and bottom end without the noise.
Crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 12:01 PM   #8

Interesting, we just enjoy traveling in our old 2000 coach and not overly concerned about engine/exhaust noise and/or power issues. But I guess those issues are important to others and must be addressed.

Best regards to all & safe travels....

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 02:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVJ58 View Post
Interesting, we just enjoy traveling in our old 2000 coach and not overly concerned about engine/exhaust noise and/or power issues. But I guess those issues are important to others and must be addressed.

here's my situation...i turned the shop over to the boy's.. i'm 63 wife still wants to work,,... put i'm going through thechange of wifes at our house and never know which wife i have.. says she hot when it's 40 out side...

one thing I dod is tinker with stuff for some thig to do and try to have betterment....

you can go buy a new ford f53 and do absolutely nothing to ,,, drive till the wheels fall s as is... as there are a buch out there that do just that

threads that are about little fixes are for those that want to do little fixes... not for every buddy
Old 06-01-2016, 02:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVJ58 View Post

We are so lucky to have such an expert on IRV2. Please don't discourage him from posting for newbies like me.

BTW, my muffler is broken since I had a tire blowout. I bought a cheap muffler last year but never put it on since I realised afterward the importance of not reducing the output.

So, I will look seriously at his new solution for my coach, if I am allowed.
Old 06-01-2016, 04:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbilodeau View Post
We are so lucky to have such an expert on IRV2. Please don't discourage him from posting for newbies like me.

BTW, my muffler is broken since I had a tire blowout. I bought a cheap muffler last year but never put it on since I realised afterward the importance of not reducing the output.

self proclaimed...
Old 06-01-2016, 04:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbilodeau View Post

OK, sorry about that....

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 04:36 PM   #13

So did adding the resonator significantly reduce the noise when the 5->3 downshift occurs ( 5 speed transmission )? What brand/model specifically did you use?

David
2013 Vista 27N
dwaugh10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 05:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaugh10 View Post
So did adding the resonator significantly reduce the noise when the 5->3 downshift occurs ( 5 speed transmission )? What brand/model specifically did you use?

David
2013 Vista 27N
I have a 2016 winnebago 6 speed and yes on the reduction..

now the ac is the loudest
I used a 6'' round magna flow 12619...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new_muffler (1).jpg
Views:	176
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	128901  

Tags
f53