Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2013, 12:05 PM   #1

Firestone F53 Lifters

We have a 1999 Ford Fleetwood Bounder 34j. She has a long overhang on a short wheelbase.
We are thinking about fitting front and rear Firestone air lifters with a duel compressor. What are your views on this type of aftermarket parts.
Do they stop the roll and keep your rig level or are we wasting our money and just get the leaf springs overhauled.
Destination Unknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2013, 08:42 AM   #2

If you feel it is a weight problem, then the air lift would help with that, but what your probably feeling is the long rear end of the coach causing it to wander in your lane.

Check out the "Cheap Handling Fix" thread.
That is a long thread to read, but probably will cure the problem your having if the coach is ill handling.
Neil
Old 03-04-2013, 09:17 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have to agree with Neil regarding handling aspect. I had a 31' Class C with a long tail hang. It was equipped with Ride Rite Firestone system. In reality, the only way I could tell if the bags were low on air was with a pressure gauge. I do not think they did a lot for the overhang issue.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:56 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a 32 foot on a F53 chassis and was having roll and dive issues. I went to a good spring shop and that solved the problem.
Peterd503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:17 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I installed the Air Lift company system with the wireless remote on the front and rear of my 99 F53 36 Ft MH, long over hang. The air bags will let you bring up the rear end depending on how much are you add. They won't help much with the roll, and none for tail wag. If you do go with and air bag system be careful how much air you have in them or you'll make the ride harsher then it already is. I took the air bags off the front of mine. Even at minimum air pressure, did not like the harsh ride.

Chuck Boone
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:00 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
I installed the Air Lift company system with the wireless remote on the front and rear of my 99 F53 36 Ft MH, long over hang. The air bags will let you bring up the rear end depending on how much are you add. They won't help much with the roll, and none for tail wag. If you do go with and air bag system be careful how much air you have in them or you'll make the ride harsher then it already is. I took the air bags off the front of mine. Even at minimum air pressure, did not like the harsh ride.

Chuck Boone
We've got the airbag system on our 32' Holiday Rambler F53. Full compressor kit with in-cab adjust. It's nice to be able to air up from inside the MH.

They're essentially "adjustable" springs as they supplement the spring rate. So you can air them down if you're light or air them up if you're heavy... Alternately you'll need to find springs that work for the weight of your RV.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
f53