Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2007, 07:28 AM   #1

I'm the fourth owner of a recently acquired 1996 Bounder on the Ford chassis. It's a 460 with about 72k miles. The third owner put about 30k miles on it during the last two years and was using conventional oil. I don't know what the first and second owners did. It's time for me to change the oil and I'm going to do it myself.

My usage pattern is going to be much slower on the miles. I only expect to change the oil a couple of times a year -- basically spring and fall before the high-usage and low-usage periods. If we get to take a long summer trip, there might be an additional change if the miles add up.

I'm inclined to use a full synthetic oil (Mobil 1) in my Bounder on the principle that it should support the two changes per year frequency a little better and give me the usually stated benefits of synthetics in all of the other operational areas.

My concern is with switching an older engine with moderately high mileage to a synthetic. I'm aware that the characteristics of the synthetic oil may loosen up some gunk that's keeping the seals from leaking. Currently, it doesn't leave any oil on the ground where it sits and I'd like to keep it that way.

Also, the sticker under the hood specifies 10W-30. Is that still the official recommendation or did Ford revise it to 5W-30 down the road? I think I feel better about running 10W-30 in the 460, but I'm open to the collective wisdom on both the conventional and synthetic and the weight choice.

I don't mean to start an oil war. I've been around automotive forums enough to know that just asking the question can heat things up in a hurry. I'm just looking for a gut check on switching to synthetic in an engine that's 12 years old based on the operating history I know about and what I expect to do with it. The last 460 we had in my family was a '77 Mercury, so I'm a little out of touch with the oil preferences and wear patterns on the mid-90s fuel-injected version.

Thanks,
John
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2007, 07:28 AM   #2

I'm the fourth owner of a recently acquired 1996 Bounder on the Ford chassis. It's a 460 with about 72k miles. The third owner put about 30k miles on it during the last two years and was using conventional oil. I don't know what the first and second owners did. It's time for me to change the oil and I'm going to do it myself.

My usage pattern is going to be much slower on the miles. I only expect to change the oil a couple of times a year -- basically spring and fall before the high-usage and low-usage periods. If we get to take a long summer trip, there might be an additional change if the miles add up.

I'm inclined to use a full synthetic oil (Mobil 1) in my Bounder on the principle that it should support the two changes per year frequency a little better and give me the usually stated benefits of synthetics in all of the other operational areas.

My concern is with switching an older engine with moderately high mileage to a synthetic. I'm aware that the characteristics of the synthetic oil may loosen up some gunk that's keeping the seals from leaking. Currently, it doesn't leave any oil on the ground where it sits and I'd like to keep it that way.

Also, the sticker under the hood specifies 10W-30. Is that still the official recommendation or did Ford revise it to 5W-30 down the road? I think I feel better about running 10W-30 in the 460, but I'm open to the collective wisdom on both the conventional and synthetic and the weight choice.

I don't mean to start an oil war. I've been around automotive forums enough to know that just asking the question can heat things up in a hurry. I'm just looking for a gut check on switching to synthetic in an engine that's 12 years old based on the operating history I know about and what I expect to do with it. The last 460 we had in my family was a '77 Mercury, so I'm a little out of touch with the oil preferences and wear patterns on the mid-90s fuel-injected version.

Thanks,
John
Old 10-26-2007, 11:22 AM   #3

Location: Atlanta, GA. , South Beach, FL. Naples, Fl , Coral Gables,FL.
John, Welcome to iRV2 . I notice it is your first post hopefully more to come.

You answer your question about the high mileage.
What I would do is drain out the oil and put in a can of RESTORE it helps bond the cylinder walls on high mileage cars and trucks. then go ahead and use Castrol high mileage 10 w 30 oil and enjoy camping. Always drain at 3, 000 miles no matter what the can tells you , your Ford 460 will love you for it.
With this reason Mobil 1 Synt. oil might softhen your seals.
Also installed a new drain plug with the FUMOTO valve with the nipple .cost $22.95 plus shipping cost.
george henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 11:35 AM   #4

Thank you for the welcome, George.

My 460 runs very well and doesn't appear to be using/losing any oil, so I don't think I'll use any special treatments or additives at this point.

I've considered going with a high-mileage or partial synthetic oil. I have to chuckle a little when referring to the RV as "high mileage." It's actually my lowest odometer reading with every other vehicle at my house between 130k and 260k. But MHs are a special case, so that's why I'm asking.

Thanks.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:11 PM   #5

Location: Atlanta, GA. , South Beach, FL. Naples, Fl , Coral Gables,FL.
You are so welcome . And also RESTORE will improve your gas mileage mpg and more power like when it came from the dealer because it bonds a seal for your piston rings and walls.
A $6.00 can every 3 months is all that is needed. Ask your mechanic for his advice but remember he also wants you to have it rebuild so he can put food on his family table when it goes over 140,000 on your odometer. you are about half way there now.
george henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 04:25 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just my 2 cents worth, if its accoustomed to regular oil and after 72k miles its still good, why change to syn. After all its getting what Ford recommends. I would change on mileage if it goes that far and every 6 months if the mileage don't add up that fast. After changing be sure to drive if a few miles to circulate the new oil. Good luck with your "new" MH and enjoy it.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote