Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2011, 12:11 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
FOA - Ford Owners Anonymous

Hello, My name is Jeremy - I was born and Raised a Chevy Fan - And now, at 28 yrs old - I've purchased my first ford chassis... Its been difficult to swallow, and i'm hoping no one in my family asks me antyhing about it...
HAHAHA!!!
Did you like that folks... like this was an AA group meeting (not to poke fun of anyone suffering from alcoholism/abuse)
Anyway, we just purchased a 1999 National Sea View 8330 and it is built on the ford chassis with the triton V10... Ohhhhhhh AHHHHH..... Anyway, is there anything i should be looking for???? It has about 49k miles on it... Any maintenance i should know about????
I'm pretty well read up on the blowing of spark plugs in some models and what not, but just wondering if there was anything else???
I guess i should embrace the Ford-ness of this coach so i'm not Gynxed and left sitting on the side of a mountain somewhwere in the thing...
TheBeachHous is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2011, 12:50 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeachHous View Post
Hello, My name is Jeremy - I was born and Raised a Chevy Fan - And now, at 28 yrs old - I've purchased my first ford chassis... Its been difficult to swallow, and i'm hoping no one in my family asks me antyhing about it...
HAHAHA!!!
Did you like that folks... like this was an AA group meeting (not to poke fun of anyone suffering from alcoholism/abuse)
Anyway, we just purchased a 1999 National Sea View 8330 and it is built on the ford chassis with the triton V10... Ohhhhhhh AHHHHH..... Anyway, is there anything i should be looking for???? It has about 49k miles on it... Any maintenance i should know about????
I'm pretty well read up on the blowing of spark plugs in some models and what not, but just wondering if there was anything else???
I guess i should embrace the Ford-ness of this coach so i'm not Gynxed and left sitting on the side of a mountain somewhwere in the thing...
I don't usually associate with "Chevy guys" but you're a newbie so I'll help you out.

Here is a link where you can download the entire owner's manual for your FORD motor home for free! It has all of the maintenance schedules, lube specs etc.

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdi...d=&kevin=rules
Click on the "Owner guides" link on the left side of the page and proceed to select the year of your Motor Home chassis.

Also check out the FORD Chassis club right here on IRV2.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:01 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
You don't have to be anonymous here, just don't brag at home. Drive it like you stole it 'cause the V10 loves the RPMs. Don't worry about the plugs until you have to change 'em which may or may not be in your lifetime depending on how much gas you can afford.
pkunk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:51 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I feel your pain, I'm a GM guy to, 2010 GMC Acadia (this is our tow) 07 Hummer H2 SUT, 99 Chevy (shop servive truck) 98 Corvette (Pace Car), 97 Corvette (Lingenfelter), & 93 Corvette (40th anniversary) and when it comes to a Motorhome you could not give me a Workhorse chassis.
Camping4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:39 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have owned my Ford's but back in 03 changed to a Workhorse and difference in the drive & ride is the best compare to the Ford's.
The Chev 8.1 and Allison the best and suspension a different ride.
Would like to compare with the new Ford chassis but to old and near end of trail to do that now.
Still own a Ford for personal car so I can't bash a Ford product.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 05:42 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
change all hose clamps to the SS screw type. Install a Banks Trans command. No matter what any one says it only takes 6 qts. of oil. If you live where it rains a lot, does it have the J shaped air horn to the filter. Buy a Scanguage (Christmas is coming) so you can keep and eye on trans temps. Was the recall done on the cruise control sender in the brake line. The calipers like to be lubed to keep them from sticking (I do mine once a year). Has the brake fluid been flushed??
John Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:35 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks John for getting back on subject.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:16 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping4fun View Post
I feel your pain, I'm a GM guy to, 2010 GMC Acadia (this is our tow) 07 Hummer H2 SUT, 99 Chevy (shop servive truck) 98 Corvette (Pace Car), 97 Corvette (Lingenfelter), & 93 Corvette (40th anniversary) and when it comes to a Motorhome you could not give me a Workhorse chassis.
I've heard a lot of people say the same thing... The chassis that GM puts out on its big trucks is not one to talk about... So far we're very happy with the ride and power of this o'l bread box... Seems to be a very solid ride with excellent power, but i'm going to have to get a second or third or fourth job to keep it fed... Likes to drink the gas!!
Old 11-07-2011, 10:10 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wayne View Post
change all hose clamps to the SS screw type. Install a Banks Trans command. No matter what any one says it only takes 6 qts. of oil. If you live where it rains a lot, does it have the J shaped air horn to the filter. Buy a Scanguage (Christmas is coming) so you can keep and eye on trans temps. Was the recall done on the cruise control sender in the brake line. The calipers like to be lubed to keep them from sticking (I do mine once a year). Has the brake fluid been flushed??
We actually had to do that already... The hoses leading to and from everywhere with coolant in them were leaking all over everything... Smelled like antifreeze (which is NOT a good smelling smell). We not only replaced the clamps we drained the antifreeze and replaced all the hoses that had some weird Ford-esque clamps on them… I’m not sure it was all necessary, but it made us feel better!!
Old 11-07-2011, 01:07 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
I agree with the other post, It is time to change the hoses. NAPA has a new coolant hose clamp. Instead of a clamp it is a heatshrink band. You put them on and use a heat gun to shrink them tight. They expand and contract with the heat in the hose. This is said to keep them tight with never any leaks.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:02 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
shhhhhhhhhhhhh al you folks talking is drowning out the sound of the neighborhood chevys rusting
good luck with your new toy
brianj
Old 11-08-2011, 08:07 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tncruiser View Post
shhhhhhhhhhhhh al you folks talking is drowning out the sound of the neighborhood chevys rusting
good luck with your new toy
brianj
NO...NO...NO...NO... Not to worry, I live in Colorado, things take far to long to rust here... A Ford would never rust in Colorado, usually because its been ground up for scrap before it has a chance to do so...
(WHAT AM I DOING???!?!?! I have to keep reminding myself I'm a FORD owner now...) Karma will get us, i'm sure!!!

FORD used to be a four letter word in my house... As a matter of fact there is a bumper sticker in my Dad's garage (its in the garage because what self respecting human would put a bumper sticker on their car) that says
"Friends Don't Let Friends Buy Fords" - He took it down when we backed The Beach House into the driveway.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:34 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've always been a Chevy guy as well but I did always feel that Ford made the better trucks!
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:04 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford vs Chevy will go on longer than any of us old codgers are here... "drive it like ya stole it" may well work for fords V-10, do that with the Chevy 8.1 and bad things "could happen"... but then show me a mountain that that venerable 8.1 wont chew up and spit at the screaming V-10s struggling to make it and I will smile. My 8.1 frequently and easily passes even the 350 HP and lesser Diesels in the mountains and when in moderate roads the 7.4 to 9.1 mpg's make the V-10 Lubbers cringe.

To each... his or her own, I drive what I believe in and I drive it for recreation and relaxation and try not to ever engage in "oneupsmanship". Maintain it, drive it like you want it to last, and enjoy all that RVing has to offer us ! Nuff Said !

I do NOT suffer from mental illness, but rather enjoy it daily !

Tags
ford