Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2015, 03:51 PM   #1

Ford 16k and 18k chassis are the same

EVERY THING.... all the way to the spring size and number of leafs...

only difference is the deflection rate....

so by adding suspension enhancers like sumo's ... you CAN up your
GVW... BUT the gcvw will stay the same...
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2015, 05:45 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
There is no such thing as GCVW or GVW, so it's a little hard to understand what your point is.

There is GCWR and GVWR. GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Ratign) is the maximum allowable combined mass of a towing road vehicle, passengers and cargo in the tow vehicle, plus the mass of the trailer and cargo in the trailer.

GVW(R) (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) is the maximum operating weight/mass of a vehicle as specified by the manufacturer[1] including the vehicle's chassis, body, engine, engine fluids, fuel, accessories, driver, passengers and cargo but excluding that of any trailers.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 06:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
There is no such thing as GCVW or GVW, so it's a little hard to understand what your point is.

There is GCWR and GVWR. GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Ratign) is the maximum allowable combined mass of a towing road vehicle, passengers and cargo in the tow vehicle, plus the mass of the trailer and cargo in the trailer.

GVW(R) (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) is the maximum operating weight/mass of a vehicle as specified by the manufacturer[1] including the vehicle's chassis, body, engine, engine fluids, fuel, accessories, driver, passengers and cargo but excluding that of any trailers.
really!!!!!... lmao

sorry buckaroo... but ever where I'm from, us good ol boy's been a cll'n it
GVW gross vehc. weight.. ever sice I was a whipper snapper...

them fellers up in Washington went and changed that up...
Old 01-08-2015, 08:18 AM   #4

Here's a link to the 2014 F53 chassis brochure:
https://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/brochures/Class_A_brochure-2014_LoRes.pdf

You can compare all the F53 chassis specs.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:07 AM   #5

Quote:

Actually, I was on the Ford parts website and sure enough, Ford uses the term GVW. I'm guessing that the GVW term is what the automotive industry uses. Since 2forcefull is in the automotive industry it's natural that he would use that term.

Buy 2011 Ford F53 Parts | FordParts.com

Evidently the GVWR term is used only by the RV industry.
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by aauummm View Post
Actually, I was on the Ford parts website and sure enough, Ford uses the term GVW. I'm guessing that the GVW term is what the automotive industry uses. Since 2forcefull is in the automotive industry it's natural that he would use that term.

Buy 2011 Ford F53 Parts | FordParts.com

Evidently the GVWR term is used only by the RV industry.
GVW is just a little more good ol boy country ..kinda like
"MADE IN THE USA"...very seldom used
thanks, here's another one...

VIN NUMBER...everyone ask's that

"Hey, can you get the vin number for me?"

VIN means Veh, ID .number....

and how bout..

HEY-LAM>>>>> "HEY LOOK AT ME...
Old 01-08-2015, 09:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
Here's a link to the 2014 F53 chassis brochure:
https://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/brochures/Class_A_brochure-2014_LoRes.pdf

You can compare all the F53 chassis specs.
COULDN'T GET THE LINK TO WORK, BUT PRETTY SURE IT'S WHERE I GO,,,
thanks
Old 01-08-2015, 09:50 AM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
I spoke in haste when I said there is no such terms as GVW and GCVW. You can make up any acronym you'd like, issue is the difference between adding the 'R' or not. GVW (Gross Vehicular Weight) would be the ACTUAL weight of the loaded vehicle sitting on a scale. GVWR would be (Gross Vehicular Weight Rating) which would be the maximum safe weight the manufacturer has determined should not be exceeded for a variety of reasons. Yes, GVW would change as you add or remove mass from the vehicle. GVWR is set by the manufacturer and can't legally be increased by adding bigger tires, springs, etc. In other countries they refer to Mass instead of Weight, so you'll see GVM or GVMR, in addition other to other terms.

See these two lists of terms used in RV and Automotive (Truck) industries:

RV Terms Glossary, RV Camping Glossary - Trailer Life Directory

Alphabetical Glossary of Automotive Terms

Since the OP seemed to be saying Ford's 16k and 18k chassis are the same, except for "deflection rate." and that "by adding suspension enhancers like sumo's ... you CAN up your GVW." If the 'sumo' adds weight to the vehicle, then yes you can, just as adding a dog can 'up' the weight of your vehicle. Adding a sumo wrestler would greatly add to the GVW and GCVW!

The engineering definition of deflection "is the degree to which a structural element is displaced under a load. It may refer to an angle or a distance." I fail to see how deflection rate factors into the OP's statement.

Bob & Donna
Old 01-08-2015, 10:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forcefull View Post
COULDN'T GET THE LINK TO WORK, BUT PRETTY SURE IT'S WHERE I GO,,,
thanks
Give it another try. I just tried it from the part of my previous post you copied and it worked. In any case it's part of the Fleet Ford website.
Old 01-08-2015, 10:33 AM   #10

Quote:
I spoke in haste when I said there is no such terms as GVW and GCVW. You can make up any acronym you'd like, issue is the difference between adding the 'R' or not. GVW (Gross Vehicular Weight) would be the ACTUAL weight of the loaded vehicle sitting on a scale. GVWR would be (Gross Vehicular Weight Rating) which would be the maximum safe weight the manufacturer has determined should not be exceeded for a variety of reasons. Yes, GVW would change as you add or remove mass from the vehicle. GVWR is set by the manufacturer and can't legally be increased by adding bigger tires, springs, etc. In other countries they refer to Mass instead of Weight, so you'll see GVM or GVMR, in addition other to other terms.

Since the OP seemed to be saying Ford's 16k and 18k chassis are the same, except for "deflection rate." and that "by adding suspension enhancers like sumo's ... you CAN up your GVW." If the 'sumo' adds weight to the vehicle, then yes you can, just as adding a dog can 'up' the weight of your vehicle. Adding a sumo wrestler would greatly add to the GVW and GCVW!

The engineering definition of deflection "is the degree to which a structural element is displaced under a load. It may refer to an angle or a distance." I fail to see how deflection rate factors into the OP's statement.
You make a good point about the meaning of GVW and GCW.

From the following website: "Weight and Load. These terms are generally used interchangeably. For the purposes of understanding RV applications, vehicles have weight, which impart loads to tires, axles, and hitches. Scale measurements taken when weighing are loads carried by the tires. These measured loads are used to calculate Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW), Gross Axle Weight (GAW), Gross Combination Weight (GCW), and hitch loads." (Bold added for emphasis.)

Glossary

Also, 2forcefull was saying that the 16K and 18K chassis are the same except for the spring deflection rate. Then going on to imply that the Sumo's being between the spring and the frame would increase the value of the spring deflection rate and make a 16K spring with Sumo's into a 18K spring and thus increasing the 16K GVWR chassis to an 18K GVWR chassis.

I'm not sure that I agree with that thinking but I think that that was what he was saying in a round-about way.
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 01:15 PM   #11

Quote:

I'm not gonna call you wrong... but gross means loaded to the max
net. means what you can carry.... unloaded weight is before you load it...

that's in the USA of corse
Old 01-08-2015, 01:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
Give it another try. I just tried it from the part of my previous post you copied and it worked. In any case it's part of the Fleet Ford website.
thanks ... I printed that whole thing out a while back...

any way the reason for the post was to let everyone wondering know that they are the same ... except for spring deflection...

in fact ford stencils then 16 or 18 because they are exzact
Old 01-08-2015, 01:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by aauummm View Post
You make a good point about the meaning of GVW and GCW.

From the following website: "Weight and Load. These terms are generally used interchangeably. For the purposes of understanding RV applications, vehicles have weight, which impart loads to tires, axles, and hitches. Scale measurements taken when weighing are loads carried by the tires. These measured loads are used to calculate Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW), Gross Axle Weight (GAW), Gross Combination Weight (GCW), and hitch loads." (Bold added for emphasis.)

Glossary

Also, 2forcefull was saying that the 16K and 18K chassis are the same except for the spring deflection rate. Then going on to imply that the Sumo's being between the spring and the frame would increase the value of the spring deflection rate and make a 16K spring with Sumo's into a 18K spring and thus increasing the 16K GVWR chassis to an 18K GVWR chassis.

I'm not sure that I agree with that thinking but I think that that was what he was saying in a round-about way.
right on the money...
Old 01-08-2015, 02:18 PM   #14

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forcefull View Post
I'm not gonna call you wrong... but gross means loaded to the max
net. means what you can carry.... unloaded weight is before you load it...

that's in the USA of corse
Gross can mean 144 of something, or

"gross weight n
1. (Commerce) total weight of an article inclusive of the weight of the container and packaging"

It has nothing to do with maximum load, that's what the Rating (R) is for.

Some folks on the forum think they can buy a F-150 and by adding springs or air bags they can make it haul what a F-250 or F-350 can. That is false and leads people to expensive mistakes. I don't think forum members are acting responsibly when they suggest such a thing. I'm not accusing you of that, because I still don't quite understand the reason for your initial post.

Bob & Donna

Tags
chassis, ford