Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2022, 01:12 PM   #1

ford 1997 tappets

Hi all in the us of a >I have spent 30 minutes trying to get here for a new post,and im not sure this is the right place --anyway here goes.
Ford F53 V8 1997 7.5 litre .Does anyone here know --are the tappets adjustable and is so what clearances cold for inlet and exhaust millimitres or inches please ..Also is the rocker cover available by itself from the states, instead of buying a whole top end gasket set ?? Thanks for your anticipated help ..Mick n Sue UK.xxxx
micknsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2022, 03:44 PM   #2

Should have hydraulic lifters with no adjustment.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 11:55 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As twinboat said not adjustable.
Are you having a problem that makes you think the valves need adjusting?
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 03:28 AM   #4

tappets sue n mick

thanks for your helps,and please realise the time difference here in uk making replies and answers somewhat staggered !
I did think about setting the tappets because -- at certain revvs there is a noise depending on the throttle set for the power required for acceleration /hills etc ,and completely stops by slight throttle adjust during this acceleration!.This noise is detectable by my bad 70 year old ears all the time when stationary with the doghouse removed ! It is more prominent coming from the valve cover rear of the rv , passenger r/h side ,so either number 4 or 8 cant remember the configuration:,so my thoughts on tappets adjust are thrown out !! You are so kind as to enquire why I thought about tappet adjust .Your further thoughts will be greatly appreciated .Have a great weekend /sunday !!
Old 10-02-2022, 06:23 AM   #5

Ping or detonation may be what you hear. The engine has a knock sensor. Check that.
If it has carbon hot spots, there are tricks to burn them off. Google it.

Could also be piston or wrist pin knock from wear. Is it a high milage engine ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 06:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Ping or detonation may be what you hear. The engine has a knock sensor.

I've not seen any evidence that this engine has a knock sensor. I'm cetain that my 94 does not have one and is not supposed to have one, and equaly certain that the CA spec 460 in my 97 F250 doesn't have one and isn't supposed to.

If you are certain, do you have a reference?
mpaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 06:36 PM   #7

Slight exhaust leak around the manifold? (usually quiets down somewhat after the engine warms up)
Of course it could be a bad lifter or worn camshaft.
Old 10-02-2022, 06:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by micknsue View Post
thanks for your helps,and please realise the time difference here in uk making replies and answers somewhat staggered !
I did think about setting the tappets because -- at certain revvs there is a noise depending on the throttle set for the power required for acceleration /hills etc ,and completely stops by slight throttle adjust during this acceleration!.This noise is detectable by my bad 70 year old ears all the time when stationary with the doghouse removed ! It is more prominent coming from the valve cover rear of the rv , passenger r/h side ,so either number 4 or 8 cant remember the configuration:,so my thoughts on tappets adjust are thrown out !! You are so kind as to enquire why I thought about tappet adjust .Your further thoughts will be greatly appreciated .Have a great weekend /sunday !!

The tappets are hydraulic, and so should not be making any noise, but I suppose it could happen.

My guess would be pinging, from a combination of factors including

Low fuel pressure causing a lean mixture

Improper ignition timing due to:
Lack of familiarity with the procedure
Suggestions to increase the timing
Lack of access to the timing marks
Bad or no operation of the EGR valve

It's important to understand that there may be computer codes stored but no engine malfunction light on the dashboard by design, so checking regularly for codes can be useful.
mpaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 03:18 AM   #9

well hello again .Im overwellmed by the help and kind responses and knowledge .To answer your questions -The mileage is only 54 k miles,The noises are on petrol and LPG propane - also .Tends to be more noticeable when warmer engine ...
I will get my RV mechanic to deal with your suggestions ,its all beyond my capabilities it seems ..Thank you all again .I WILL NOT be adjusting the tappets !!!! Thank you usa for all the years of great what we brits call "yank tanks " It all started for me in the 70s when I bought a plymouth sattelite station wagon then pontiac phoenix, chevvy impala,chevvy caprice then the best yet a 5.7 hemi ram magnum --wow lovvvvverly ,Then E 450 tioga and now this , my last due to my age Damon daybreak !

Tags
ford