Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2017, 08:44 AM   #1

Cool Ford chassis????

Thor with Ford V10 engine and assume Ford trans. Ford tells me it is not a Ford chassis!

Following the thread about the sway in the front of Ford chassis, not doing me any good, because not Ford chassis! Thought I was on to something with all the great help here!

Seems Thor (Damon) does not answer any request for info, so far 3 requests and no answers, most recent one on this chassis issue!

Anyone out there with similar issues?
Bruce39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2017, 09:03 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce39 View Post
Thor with Ford V10 engine and assume Ford trans. Ford tells me it is not a Ford chassis!

Following the thread about the sway in the front of Ford chassis, not doing me any good, because not Ford chassis! Thought I was on to something with all the great help here!

Seems Thor (Damon) does not answer any request for info, so far 3 requests and no answers, most recent one on this chassis issue!

Anyone out there with similar issues?

There should be a tag on the wall close to the driver's seat which calls out the chassis manufacturer.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 09:17 AM   #3

Sways like a drunk cow!

New (to me!) Damon 348, sways like a drunk cow! Just driving down the highway at 60 is hard to control, must be really alert!
Have read the forum about moving the existing sway bars up or down a hole, asked the local Ford dealer and was told I do not have a Ford chassis! Trying to find out what I have from Thor, but they are not talking to me!
Beginning my research on ways to control the sway finding all sorts of stuff for sale, but need expert input before I spend bucks and then it does not work, you guys are the experts! Or at the very least, you are good advice people!
Air bags on the leaf springs, opinions welcome!
Big expensive anti sway bars, opinions welcome!
Steering stabilizers, sound good for easier steering control, opinions welcome!
HELP from all you great RVers!
Bruce39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 09:25 AM   #4

Being a 2006 you have one of two possible chassis. 1) Ford which seems to have been ruled out, or 2) Workhorse (formerly Chevy), not out of business but may come back. Run your VIN thru a Vin Check web site and it should tell you what you have.

Do you have airbags inside your front springs, and if so are they inflated and holding air.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 09:31 AM   #5

As far as I know, there are only 2 choices for the 2006 Damon 348. Workhorse or Ford. I would be shocked to see a Ford V-10 in a Workhorse chassis. Doubt it is even possible.

Who told you it is not a Ford chassis? What are they basing that statement on? Are you sure you have a V-10?
Old 05-23-2017, 09:34 AM   #6

Ford chassis????

Look at the motor:
Is it a ford or chevy?

How many cylinders does it have?

Google image is your friend.

Maybe a John Deer, just to add to the confusion.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:39 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
No issues with my Hurricane. Pretty easy to figure out who made the chassis. What is the name in the center of the steering wheel? Only two possibilities for a 2006 Damon, Ford or Workhorse.

Also split the coach top/bottom or chassis/house. Thor knows as much about the chassis as Ford knows about the house. There's a couple of cross connects most related to lights required when going down the road but not much else.

Ford -

Workhorse -
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 01:22 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Weigh it at the Cat scales then come back and let us know the weight front and rear- get separate weights. Tell us your tire size and make. Then someone can help you get the proper tire inflation. That makes a huge difference.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 03:07 PM   #9

I have an 02 workhorse. I bought last year after my daughter died. It too swayed. So bad that after 2.5 hours of driving, I had to pull over and take a nap from exhaustion. I discovered 3 things were causing the sway. First and foremost were the shocks. I pulled the old one off and could compress them easily by hand. Second, we're the springs. They were so worn out the coach leaned to the right side. Third, the steering had play in it. The front end needed to be rebuilt and an alignment done. These are easy to check without knowing the make and model. Hope this helps.
oktechguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 03:50 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Damon Challenger is a legacy model line still in production.
https://www.thormotorcoach.com/challenger

The 348 would have the Ford F53 w/ V10 or the optional Workhorse chassis w/ 8.1L V8.

The emblem on the steering wheel and the front corners of your RV will tell you what it is:
Click image for larger version

Name:	ford.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	197.8 KB
ID:	162780
or

Name:   Workhorse.jpg
Views: 678
Size:  20.8 KB

Either chassis can have ride improvements like:
-Tire pressure checked for the actual pressure/weight.
-New/Improved shocks.
-Steering damper.
-Track Bar.
-New/Improved sway bars.
-Air bags.
-Sumo Springs.

However, the RV will never drive like a modern car or pick-up. It is riding on a Medium Duty Truck Chassis and there is room for improvement...questions is, how much do you want to spend?
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 06:16 PM   #11
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
If it is a W22 chassis. I added to my challenger Koni FSD shocks and a Safe-T-Plus. That made it very drivable. It was a 2002 with only 4k miles on it when I bought it. If more miles on it. Look at aftermarket rear stabilizers.
NRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 07:30 PM   #12

IMHO motorhomes are the most poorly designed pieces of machinery to hit the road. Just step back and look at it for a minute. Look at where the front wheels are positioned then look at where the rear wheels are positioned. See anything wrong? The overhang behind the rear axle is much greater than the front axle. Why wouldn't the leverage in this design make the rear of the MH want to pass the front? This IMO is why you are chasing the steering trying to keep the rear end behind the front end.
The tail wags the dog.
Spend all the money you want to. The MH will never handle like a sports car. It can be improved somewhat but you'd better stay awake.
Lynn
Old 05-23-2017, 08:16 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Whats the VIN?
Randalpho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 05:47 AM   #14

Could this be a non-standard chassis length? If the original Ford frame has been extended, can't remember the name of the company that does this. Then Ford may no longer claim to be the mfgr. Don't know, just a thought. Jim.
04fxsts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, ford