Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2023, 03:06 PM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230521_142846.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	292.3 KB
ID:	393446

Here is a photo of the fuse legend. Module G the number 4 fuse is trailer power. I was mistaken it is a 20 amp fuse not a 30 amp.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2023, 03:52 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabrooks View Post
Attachment 393446

Here is a photo of the fuse legend. Module G the number 4 fuse is trailer power. I was mistaken it is a 20 amp fuse not a 30 amp.
So that looks like it comes off your house batteries. Was that the way your unit came from the builder? Thanks! Looks like I'm going to have to look into providing 12v mot just for the extender but I had to get a new battery for my Grand cherokee toad because it's voltage was too low for my RVibrake3 system. I'm going to have to make sure my toad battery stays charged. I'm learning new stuff all the time. Thanks again!
Bonzoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 06:21 AM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Yes that was from the Tiffin house fuse block. What year chassis do you have? We have a 2013 and I have the legend for the Ford fuse block which is under the dash to the left of the steering wheel. There are several fuses for the "body builder" marked for trailer leads. Mostly turns signals, brake controller and the like. There is one labeled 20amp 12volt power.

The legend is 3 pages I can post it if you think it would help.
Old 05-22-2023, 07:14 AM   #18

Bonzoso-

Now that you've got two problems to solve, I'll offer suggestions.

1) TPMS extender
I'm surprised that on a coach as short as yours that you need an extender. Have you tried using the system without one? If you have, and are convinced one is needed, then you should look for an unswitched 12V source off the house battery bank. Usually this means a wire that feeds a 12V light, but one that does not have an upstream switch. Other options on some coaches are the refrigerator 12V or propane detector 12V.

My 31-foot coach did not need an extender. I was surprised as to how far the toad transmitters could transmit.

2) 12V Toad Charge Line
If you plan to flat tow, and not use a trailer, then you can repurpose the trailer electric brake controller wire (also known as "the blue wire") to feed 12V from the chassis battery to the toad. That wire runs from below the dash to the trailer hitch connector, terminating on a different pin (5 o'clock) than the "standard" 12V charge line (1 o'clock) (see this link, "Vehicle Side 7-Way/7-Way RV Standard"). The plus of using this wire is it's usually sized (12 or 14 AWG) and fused (30A) for high current.

Notes:
a) On the wired end of the toad connector, you will wire the trailer electric brake controller wire to your toad's battery, rather than using the "standard" 12V charge line wire.
b) You will install a fuse in this wire, as close to the toad battery as possible.
c) I recommend a 15A fuse for this, and also replacing the Ford-supplied 30A fuse with a 15A fuse.
d) Why down-rate the 30A circuit to 15A? because I suspect the wire size in the umbilical is less than 12 AWG.
e) Why use fuses instead of auto-reset circuit breakers? In at least one case described on iRV2, a circuit breaker caused a toad fire.
f) You'll cross-connect the Ford-supplied 12V trailer electric brake controller power wire to the trailer electric brake controller output signal wire. The easiest way to do this is to purchase a pigtail that plugs into the trailer electric brake controller connector that Ford provides under the dash. A suitable pigtail is the Tekonsha 3035-P, link here. Cut off the Tekonsha end and splice the black wire to the blue wire.
g) This method is completely plug-and-play and reversible. Should you want to tow a trailer, simply unlpug the customized pigtail and replace it with a 3035-P connected to the same connector under the dash. Oh, and put a 30A fuse in place of the 15A fuse, so it's back to factory spec.
h) Important: Wired this way, the circuit from the chassis battery to the coach hitch connector is "always hot." It is not ignition-switched. That means as soon as you plug in the umbilical, it's "hot," and then plugging the toad end of the umbilical into the toad completes the connection between the coach and toad batteries. I'm sure you can work through the implications of this design. If you want an ignition-switched charge line using this design, then you would wire the pigtail with a relay between the blue and black wires, and then activate the relay with an ignition-switch signal from a fuse off the under-dash panel, of which there should be a couple open for use.

On a different topic, you should add a "signature" to your profile. It contains whatever info you want; most people put info about their coach there, so they don't have to type it into each message. Instructions for adding a signature are here.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 06:02 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
Bonzoso-

Now that you've got two problems to solve, I'll offer suggestions.

1) TPMS extender
I'm surprised that on a coach as short as yours that you need an extender. Have you tried using the system without one? If you have, and are convinced one is needed, then you should look for an unswitched 12V source off the house battery bank. Usually this means a wire that feeds a 12V light, but one that does not have an upstream switch. Other options on some coaches are the refrigerator 12V or propane detector 12V.

My 31-foot coach did not need an extender. I was surprised as to how far the toad transmitters could transmit.

2) 12V Toad Charge Line
If you plan to flat tow, and not use a trailer, then you can repurpose the trailer electric brake controller wire (also known as "the blue wire") to feed 12V from the chassis battery to the toad. That wire runs from below the dash to the trailer hitch connector, terminating on a different pin (5 o'clock) than the "standard" 12V charge line (1 o'clock) (see this link, "Vehicle Side 7-Way/7-Way RV Standard"). The plus of using this wire is it's usually sized (12 or 14 AWG) and fused (30A) for high current.

Notes:
a) On the wired end of the toad connector, you will wire the trailer electric brake controller wire to your toad's battery, rather than using the "standard" 12V charge line wire.
b) You will install a fuse in this wire, as close to the toad battery as possible.
c) I recommend a 15A fuse for this, and also replacing the Ford-supplied 30A fuse with a 15A fuse.
d) Why down-rate the 30A circuit to 15A? because I suspect the wire size in the umbilical is less than 12 AWG.
e) Why use fuses instead of auto-reset circuit breakers? In at least one case described on iRV2, a circuit breaker caused a toad fire.
f) You'll cross-connect the Ford-supplied 12V trailer electric brake controller power wire to the trailer electric brake controller output signal wire. The easiest way to do this is to purchase a pigtail that plugs into the trailer electric brake controller connector that Ford provides under the dash. A suitable pigtail is the Tekonsha 3035-P, link here. Cut off the Tekonsha end and splice the black wire to the blue wire.
g) This method is completely plug-and-play and reversible. Should you want to tow a trailer, simply unlpug the customized pigtail and replace it with a 3035-P connected to the same connector under the dash. Oh, and put a 30A fuse in place of the 15A fuse, so it's back to factory spec.
h) Important: Wired this way, the circuit from the chassis battery to the coach hitch connector is "always hot." It is not ignition-switched. That means as soon as you plug in the umbilical, it's "hot," and then plugging the toad end of the umbilical into the toad completes the connection between the coach and toad batteries. I'm sure you can work through the implications of this design. If you want an ignition-switched charge line using this design, then you would wire the pigtail with a relay between the blue and black wires, and then activate the relay with an ignition-switch signal from a fuse off the under-dash panel, of which there should be a couple open for use.

On a different topic, you should add a "signature" to your profile. It contains whatever info you want; most people put info about their coach there, so they don't have to type it into each message. Instructions for adding a signature are here.
I used the extender because it was suggested by the manufacturer. Ran a 14g wire from house batteries to the back where I mounted the extender. I managed to make the 4 hr drive here to the campground in Cedar Run PA without seriously draining the battery with my RVibrake3 in my old ZJ. I will take your info to run a charge line for the toad. Thanks so much!
Old 05-23-2023, 06:10 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabrooks View Post
Yes that was from the Tiffin house fuse block. What year chassis do you have? We have a 2013 and I have the legend for the Ford fuse block which is under the dash to the left of the steering wheel. There are several fuses for the "body builder" marked for trailer leads. Mostly turns signals, brake controller and the like. There is one labeled 20amp 12volt power.

The legend is 3 pages I can post it if you think it would help.
Thanks D&C, We got to our campsite yesterday without issue. We Have a 2017 f53 chassis on our Coachmen Pursuit. Unfortunately Coachmen (Forest River) manual gives no Fuse info. I do have the Ford Chassis owners manual but it doesn't show any fuse indicating a 12v line to hitch plug. Once I get back home I'll give this issue some more thought with the many responses I've gotten. Thanks to you and all other responders.
Old 05-24-2023, 05:38 AM   #21

Quote:
We Have a 2017 f53 chassis
Well, since you finally specifically identified your chassis' model year (should have done that in your first post), it's now possible to provide specific information regarding the Ford portion of the system.

Quote:
but it doesn't show any fuse indicating a 12v line to hitch plug
There isn't one. PDB fuse F13 is a 30A circuit that feeds into the TBC module as shown in the diagram below. After that, it's up to Coachman as well as the selected TBC module vendor. Sorry, don't have Coachman info, just Ford manuals.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2023-05-24 06_07_49-Service Information - 2017 F-53 Motorhome, F-59 Commercial Stripped Chassis .png
Views:	17
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	393654  
PS89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 06:29 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS89 View Post
Well, since you finally specifically identified your chassis' model year (should have done that in your first post), it's now possible to provide specific information regarding the Ford portion of the system.
Sorry PS89 that my posting annoyed you so much that you needed to reprimand me. My original post was to a Ford chassis section and it didn't occur to me that one needed to be Manufacture specific. No other members that replied seemed to be put out by my question. Please take a chill pill and be more friendly. I don't need your input that badly.
Old 05-27-2023, 11:26 PM   #23

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Late to the party. When I installed the extender I installed it in the closet next the rear bed and tapped into the power for the light next to the bed.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 08:43 AM   #24

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzoso View Post
Sorry PS89 that my posting annoyed you so much that you needed to reprimand me. My original post was to a Ford chassis section and it didn't occur to me that one needed to be Manufacture specific. No other members that replied seemed to be put out by my question. Please take a chill pill and be more friendly. I don't need your input that badly.
He didn't say you needed to put the manufacturer, he said you should have included the YEAR it was manufactured.
Old 05-28-2023, 10:52 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryStone View Post
He didn't say you needed to put the manufacturer, he said you should have included the YEAR it was manufactured.
Indeed. It is impossible to look up accurate technical information without first knowing in which volume the information needs to come from. The F53 chassis has been in production for over 25 years and there have been multiple electrical system generations.

My point is that, when requesting technical information, you MUST adequately identify what is being worked on.
PS89 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, class a, ford