RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2020, 09:52 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford coolant reservoir

We have a 1997 Itasca Suncruiser on a 1996 F53 Ford chassis. It needs a replacement coolant reservoir which is a discontinued part. F3TZ-8A080A. Any advice on a place to get or a replacement or a part number I can get through a dealer? The coach is low miles and in beautiful condition. Surely we won't have to lose the unit for want of a single part!?! All suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
pansyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2020, 10:08 PM   #2

Put the number in a search engine. I just did and came up with a Dorman part. I don't know if it's right but somewhere someone is going to have one on ebay or somewhere.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 09:46 AM   #3

If you don't mind one not being exactly concours correct you can simply use an overflow tank from another vehicle that you think will fit the space available. This particular tank is simply a "catch can" style and not a model specific pressurized reservoir style. About anything with a hose fitting and an overflow tube would work just fine. RV's tend to be constructed of such a conglomeration of parts anyway I'm no one would ever know the difference.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 04:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
If you don't mind one not being exactly concours correct you can simply use an overflow tank from another vehicle that you think will fit the space available. This particular tank is simply a "catch can" style and not a model specific pressurized reservoir style. About anything with a hose fitting and an overflow tube would work just fine. RV's tend to be constructed of such a conglomeration of parts anyway I'm no one would ever know the difference.
100% agree^^^
jomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 08:01 PM   #5

I bought one on Amazon for 1999 Bounder F53. Check Amazon.
ChasL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 09:08 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Sorry you're going through this. I just went through it myself last week. I bought an exact replacement (Ford logo and all) from Rock Auto a year ago. Last week I noticed an antifreeze drip directly below the tank. Took the tank out and unbelievably, it was weeping antifreeze from a plastic weld on the bottom of the tank. I considered buying a replacement and to my chagrin nobody had one. I checked Amazon, EBay, Rock Auto and various other outfits. I was using the same p/n you listed above. Plan B was to reseal the bottom of my replacement tank. I used a plastic compatible JB Weld 2 part epoxy and smeared a couple of layers on the 2 plastic welds on the bottom of the tank. It worked and has been holding now for 3 days. Best of luck.
Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 09:16 PM   #7

Same issue on my P30 with a GM engine. the old tank split. I put in an aftermarket Dorman. Fine but not enough capacity for the MH large coolant capacity. Found my solution here;

https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/it...x?itemid=42938
Old 09-29-2020, 12:48 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt46 View Post
Sorry you're going through this. I just went through it myself last week. I bought an exact replacement (Ford logo and all) from Rock Auto a year ago. Last week I noticed an antifreeze drip directly below the tank. Took the tank out and unbelievably, it was weeping antifreeze from a plastic weld on the bottom of the tank. I considered buying a replacement and to my chagrin nobody had one. I checked Amazon, EBay, Rock Auto and various other outfits. I was using the same p/n you listed above. Plan B was to reseal the bottom of my replacement tank. I used a plastic compatible JB Weld 2 part epoxy and smeared a couple of layers on the 2 plastic welds on the bottom of the tank. It worked and has been holding now for 3 days. Best of luck.
Yes, we tried all of those things as well. We also did the JB Weld thing and it is leaking again. Not sure where to go now. May try a heat gun to soften the plastic and then add the jb weld. Or look for a fabricator. Or dip it in liquid gold, lol. Might be cheaper. Thanks for the suggestions and the sympathy.
Old 09-29-2020, 12:50 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks. We may have to try to jerry-rig the Dorman connections.
Old 09-29-2020, 12:59 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickNC View Post
Same issue on my P30 with a GM engine. the old tank split. I put in an aftermarket Dorman. Fine but not enough capacity for the MH large coolant capacity. Found my solution here;

https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/it...x?itemid=42938
Thanks Rick. We looked at the Dorman part that came up when we listed the part number. The connections were wrong. But if we have to jerry-rig something, your solution is a great idea. I'll have my husband look into this.
Old 09-29-2020, 08:31 AM   #11

overflow

Try summitracing.com, they have lots of stainless steel overflow tanks or go with aluminum

https://www.summitracing.com/search/...ks-catch-cans?
tiffy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 10:28 AM   #12

I used this to fix a windshield washer reservoir on my Toyota pickup.

https://www.fiberfix.com/
Old 10-02-2020, 11:48 PM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
(Ebay $83, some up to almost $400, wow?) https://www.ebay.com/i/303499840885?...452afdd79b4519

(Alternate) an E350 tank in $50 range, if you can make it work?
Old 10-02-2020, 11:53 PM   #14

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
BUT these are Pressure tanks

Tags
ford