Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2015, 12:16 PM   #1

Ford Dealers Refuse to Service E-450

When I bought my new motorhome, the dealer told me that there was ONE Ford dealer in the greater St. Louis area that would be willing to service it. Fine. Now, that dealer is telling me that they have decided to no longer do service work on an E-450, not even oil changes. So I asked MH dealer (only 1/2 mile down the road from that Ford dealer) where I can go. Their answer: They don't know.

Is this a nationwide problem? There are an awful lot of E-450s that need service from time to time!

Fortunately, at 11,000 miles, all mine has needed has been oil changes.
chasfenwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2015, 12:31 PM   #2

You're going to have to find a dealership that also sells trucks in the F550 to F750 range. The F450 is considered a medium duty truck. As such most car and light truck dealers aren't equipped to work on them. They're to big to fit in the typical service bays used for cars and light trucks, and to heavy for their hoists and lifting equipment.

In addition oil changes and other maintenance items are usually priced as leaders to get more profitable service business. If the dealership isn't equipped to work on the vehicle, and doesn't have the proper parts inventory they're not likely to want to do the less profitable oil changes.

You can use the Ford Owner Relations site to contact Ford Motor Company.

Contact Us | Official Ford Owner Site

They will tell you where the nearest dealer is that will service your motorhome.
Old 04-24-2015, 01:00 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I did a google search for Ford Commercial Truck and RV Service center to find one on my area. You might need to look at commercial fleet service centers instead of the usual dealerships
rdrv831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 03:38 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
I would think they would have a Ford Truck Center in greater St. Louis area like we have in KC Mo. Ours is called the Midway Ford Truck Center on I-435 and they services all Ford Motorhomes all the way to the F53. It is north of I-70 a few miles.
Have you looked in the phone book for one?
subford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 04:38 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You might try sending your complaint to Ford motor Company World HQ in Dearborn,MI.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 04:50 PM   #6

If you have ever done an oil change on any car, you can do it on your MH, there is really no big difference in doing the oil change.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 05:28 PM   #7

We ran into the same issue with our ambulances at an agency i was with. Now have the same issue with our Search and Rescue Truck. Most dealers in our area cringe when you say "E" series. The one shop left that will work on it wants double labor rates due to the confined space in the E Series. I suspect this is not limited to motorhomes. Many Ambulances, Rescue Trucks, UHaul Trucks and utility vans are on this chassis.

We found a local shop that will work on it but still charges a bit more.
kb2ztx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 06:03 PM   #8

I wonder what the official position of Ford Motor Company is on this issue. Sounds serious.

There is no Ford Truck Center in the St. Louis area, but from what I see on the Internet, there is a Ford dealer that specializes in trucks. Whether they will work on a motorhome cannot be determined from their web site. I'll give their service dept a call next week and see what they say. If they do routinely work on E-450s, you'd think the local Class C motorhome dealer's service dept would know about that.
Old 04-24-2015, 06:13 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
There is a Ford dealer at 7100 South Lindberg between Lemay Ferry & Telegraph Roads in South St. Louis County. Last year they did a recall on my '98 PA Vision for a cable part on the cruise, and also did a grease job/oil change for $50.00. Give them a call. Eddie Elk.
1998 Pace Arrow Vision 36' w/460, '03 Honda CRV, FMCA #388823, Gateway Getaways RV Club
eddieelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 08:34 PM   #10

My question is why would you want to take it to a dealer??? Mechanics being paid flat rate that have no interest in anything but getting the job done as fast as they can. You should contact Ford and thank them. Find a independent shop, you will get far better work at a much better price!!!
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 08:52 PM   #11

The reason I want to take it to a dealer is very simple. Ford is telling me that I have a significant Factory Warranty on this chassis. In the unlikely event that something serious BREAKS during that period of time, I want to know where I can take it to get it fixed for free, by technicians that have appropriate training. Thus far, this has been an exercise to determine whether the Ford warranty is substantive or is merely smoke and mirrors. The jury is still out on that. Oil changes? Trivial, in the large scheme of things.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:01 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfenwick View Post
The reason I want to take it to a dealer is very simple. Ford is telling me that I have a significant Factory Warranty on this chassis. In the unlikely event that something serious BREAKS during that period of time, I want to know where I can take it to get it fixed for free, by technicians that have appropriate training. Thus far, this has been an exercise to determine whether the Ford warranty is substantive or is merely smoke and mirrors. The jury is still out on that. Oil changes? Trivial, in the large scheme of things.
When I saw the question raised about going to a non-Ford mechanic, my immediate thought was the same: the warranty.

I have a 2015 Minnie Winnie on a Ford E-350 and this thread is prompting me to contact my usual Ford dealer to see if they service E-350s.
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 10:06 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
You do have a valid point. I called the Ford Customer Service (FCS) and spoke with a very nice individual who gave me several shops within a 100 mile radius that would service the F-53 chassis. I asked and received a recommendation as to which one seems to be the better of the choices and I got a recommendation. They are about 100 miles from me In Springfield MO. If i have a serious service issue I will use them. So far with only 11,000 miles I do all my own work and no problems. I did need an alignment. The SM recommended a local shop. Working through the dealer Ford authorized it, the dealer cut me a check to pay the shop and I got it done.

Here's another way of dealing with your concern. If you have no service centers within a reasonable distance an independent shop can be authorized to do warranty work as needed. They will probably have to get authorization from Ford to do the work.

The problem you are experiencing has to do with Ford making a product but the dealerships while they are authorized to sell and service the Ford product they are still INDEPENDENT from Ford. Ford can't really force them to do some things. That sometimes puts the customer between a rock and a hard place. You want warranty work done but the shop is on one hand dependent on Ford and made to follow certain rules and guidelines set by Ford but they are still independent on which vehicles they will service.

Ford also sells a lot of the repair equipment needed to work on the vehicles and the dealer is required to buy that equipment. When Ford comes out with new vehicles which require new tools the dealer has to invest in those tools if they want to service those vehicles. Tools to Service or rebuild the Automatic transmission are many and very expensive. All the scanners needed to work on the computer systems are also expensive and they change from time to time. Sometimes those expenses are enough for some dealers to stop servicing some models.

Ford also supplies on-line training for their technicians which can also be another issue. Finding trained techs who want to continue training all the time or they fall behind and can't service the vehicles is very difficult.

I'd call Ford CS in Dearborn and discuss your concerns with them.

TeJay
Old 04-24-2015, 10:19 PM   #14

Broadway Ford Truck Center in south STL
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer, ford, fuse, service