Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2021, 01:00 PM   #15

Okay thanks.

For the other things I mean all the connections behind the bezel so I can take it right off. I'll figure it out. It must be a squeeze or a half turn or something.

Unclipping it was real easy.
tetranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2021, 01:06 PM   #16

I think I see on that cigarette lighter looks like the little square parts on the plug you squeeze those in and then pull. Most all connections like that have tabs or something you squeeze, they don't usually rotate.
tap4154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 05:39 PM   #17

I got it all off at last. The cigarette lighter sockets have a very small tab that you need to push in while pulling it apart. It dawned on me after staring at it for a while. It's on the other side to my picture.

The fan and A/C controls were no problem. Three screws and it all comes off as one unit without having to directly touch the little hoses.

Getting it over the steering column wasn't that difficult once I realized that it was catching at the top. You need to pull it back to pop it out of the top.

Tomorrow's job is to finally investigate the radio problem. When I first took the doghouse out and was reaching up from below I could make it come to life by applying pressure to some places.

I hope I can get it back together
Old 06-20-2021, 08:41 PM   #18

I pulled the radio out and it works in one speaker only. I heard things rattling around inside it so I opened up the radio itself. I still couldn't see what was rattling until some coins finally fell out from the small space between the underside of the circuit board and the metal case. They've been shorting things out causing the intermittent problems making it sometimes not work at all, sometimes in one speaker only and sometimes the AMP error. Before we had it, I guess someone must have put some coins through the DVD slot. That seems like the only way in and I don't know how it happens accidentally. Kids maybe.

It still only works in one speaker so I guess one of the shorts caused some permanent damage. I guess it could be a problem with the speaker itself but that seems kind of unlikely so ... I'm off to Crutchfield to look for a new one.
Old 06-21-2021, 12:57 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetranz View Post
I pulled the radio out and it works in one speaker only. I heard things rattling around inside it so I opened up the radio itself. I still couldn't see what was rattling until some coins finally fell out from the small space between the underside of the circuit board and the metal case. They've been shorting things out causing the intermittent problems making it sometimes not work at all, sometimes in one speaker only and sometimes the AMP error. Before we had it, I guess someone must have put some coins through the DVD slot. That seems like the only way in and I don't know how it happens accidentally. Kids maybe.

It still only works in one speaker so I guess one of the shorts caused some permanent damage. I guess it could be a problem with the speaker itself but that seems kind of unlikely so ... I'm off to Crutchfield to look for a new one.

Now that is an interesting outcome. I'm about to pop mine back apart to change my backup monitor from a big screen on the dash to the rearview mirror I added.
Old 07-05-2021, 06:49 PM   #20

Well ... I didn't really expect this to turn into a multi-weekend job but I'm happy with the end result. I'm sure an experienced person would have had it done in a few hours but for me, pretty much every step was a challenge and a puzzle

That's a new Boss Elite BE10ACP from Crutchfield.

The real reason why the right speaker wasn't working was actually the speaker itself. I discovered that after installing the new radio. It's a short circuit inside the speaker itself. I probably didn't need a new radio just to get the sound working but we really wanted the phone integration. This new one is working great with Android Auto. It's a big removable screen but not too big. It's not blocking anything.

I should have taken a deal that Crutchfield had on speakers but I really wanted to get this done this weekend so I raced out to Best Buy and bought some relatively cheap speakers and then realized that they only had spade connectors rather than the two pin sockets which I guess are Ford specific. Then I went to another Best Buy (lots of things are out of stock right now) and got some of these which are intended for Ford E-Series and I was sure was the same thing but no, they don't fit.

So ... a warning for anyone replacing door speakers in a Ford E-Series. That connector on the old speaker and the one on the adaptor with wires look identical to my eyes and the plug in the door does seem to fit into it and they even electrically connect but they just don't click / lock together no matter how hard I push.

So ... not to be beaten I ended up making my own adaptor by removing the socket from the old speaker, chopping the new connector off the wires and soldering the wires to the new connector and wrapping with lots of tape.

One of these went in the blank hole between the two DC sockets to give easy USB connection for phones and auxiliary analog audio input if we ever want that.

Luckily the shorted speaker didn't damage the output circuitry of the new radio. In years gone by it probably would have.

The service from Crutchfield was great. I got their "ReadyHarness" service so it was ready to plug into the Ford harness behind it. The only splicing I had to do was for the reverse gear and parking brake. The old radio already had those going to it. I just had to figure out which wire was which.

When I find what looks like those same adaptors on Crutchfield, they list them as not fitting a 2016 Ford E450 so Crutchfield's info is good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210705_185946470.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	206.7 KB
ID:	334881   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210705_125454757.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	252.3 KB
ID:	334882  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210705_131911633.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	234.5 KB
ID:	334883  
Old 07-06-2021, 08:59 AM   #21

Glad to hear you got it all fixed up. Let us know your long-term thoughts on the radio.

I'm thinking about changing ours out to one with the larger touch screen display.

Tags
dash, dashboard, e450, ford, radio, removal