Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2021, 08:13 AM   #1

Ford E450 dashboard bezel removal to get to radio

I need to do something with the radio in my 2016 E450 Minnie Winnie. It only works occasionally distorted in one speaker. It has also intermittently been showing "AMP error". My research suggests that both of these point to a wiring problem. It could just be a connector that needs unplugging, cleaning and reconnecting.

I'm thinking of trying to fix this myself. Electrical / electronic (at least low voltage DC) things are generally within my capabilities but I'm not much of a mechanic. While I'm at it, I'm thinking of replacing the radio with something more modern which I'll probably buy from Crutchfield.

It seems like I need to take the whole dashboard bezel off to get to it. I've watched this video which looks like the same dashboard even though he says it's 2009 to 2014.

I'm just asking a vague question here. How difficult is this really to get off and put back? That video makes it look reasonably easy if done carefully. The only real danger seems to be breaking a wire behind it. Are there any other challenges that I should be aware of?

I'll buy a set of these https://www.amazon.com/Tresalto-Auto.../dp/B01L8GHB7O.

When I started researching this I saw some posts recommending these things https://www.amazon.com/OTC-7575-Radi.../dp/B0002SRBJ8 but that must be for a different model. I really do need to pull the whole bezel off to get to the radio do I?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210613_171933162.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	183.2 KB
ID:	332075  
tetranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2021, 08:42 AM   #2

I made a set of those u-shaped tools to pull the dash radio out of my 2010 E450. There's just little clips that need to be pushed in and then it pops out. I'm not sure about your radio though, do you have the manual? I seriously doubt you have to disassemble the dash to pop it out.

I just watched that video, I can't believe he had to remove the dash. I have a double DIN magnadyne in mine, and it had four holes, two on each side that I could use those tools in. Take a look at yours and see if you have the two holes on each side
tap4154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 12:28 PM   #3

Okay thanks.

The "radio" or whatever it's called these days is a Pioneer. I have looked at the manual but didn't take much notice of the mounting and if it has the little clips you mention. I'll take another look. It would certainly be nice to just pop it out without taking everything else apart.

I suspect if I can pull it out and check the connections behind it, maybe spray with some contact cleaner that might fix the problem. If I keep this one I also want to get access to the auxiliary input which is an analog audio input on the back. That cable that you can see coming out from below it is USB. I think that's factory fitted which seems kind of rough and we really have no use for. I could bring it and the audio out to one of the blank spots like he did on that video. I guess I really would have to pull the bezel out then.
Old 06-14-2021, 06:59 PM   #4

I just went over to the RV to take a look and there are no holes.

I suspect it's got bolts like shown here.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post1463312

Maybe the easy removal made them too easy to steal.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20210614_191410265.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	219.9 KB
ID:	332168  
Old 06-14-2021, 07:20 PM   #5

Jayco Owners Club
Just FYI, I had no problem removing the dash bezel in mine. My aux start is in the trim above the parking brake so that wasn't an issue either. One tip is to be sure to engage the brake and shift into the lowest gear setting and once you have pulled the bezel away from all the clips then from the very top above the gauges, pull the bezel towards you and then straight up over the steering column (also have the steering column in its lowest position). There is a bit of flex in the bezel and that is important as to get it out you do have to pull it away from the top which flexes the bezel a little bit, not much. All in all, it only took me about 15~20 minutes and then I had to go back in as my new radio wifi antenna wasn't working and I had to replace it, anyway the second time I did it in less than 5~10 minutes. I will share what the bezel looks like so you will know where all the clips are that hold it in place. ~CA

I will add that I had shared a similar comment in another forum and many people didn't believe I could remove it so easily and stated that they had lots of issues and it was very hard and took a very long time... and on and on, my thought is that they were afraid to flex it a little while pulling the top away from where it mounts. Again, not a lot, but it does take a little pull away from the top and a little flex to get it out, maybe 1~1.5" no more than that. The only wires on mine was on the lower right hand side and those wires have clips to remove the connections (two or three).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Dash1.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	332169   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dash2.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	332170  

CRV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 07:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetranz View Post
I just went over to the RV to take a look and there are no holes.

I suspect it's got bolts like shown here.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post1463312
Can you see anything behind it if you take the dog house out? When I was hooking up a Sirius receiver to mine I could reach up behind it, but it's a little tight. In any case, it does look like you're going to have to pull the dash.
Old 06-14-2021, 07:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
JI will add that I had shared a similar comment in another forum and many people didn't believe I could remove it so easily and stated that they had lots of issues and it was very hard and took a very long time... and on and on, my thought is that they were afraid to flex it a little while pulling the top away from where it mounts.
I think I saw that or a similar thread. Thanks for the photos. I think I'm going to give it go and I think I'll do what that guy in the video does and not disconnect the A/C controls. He was concerned about creating a leak.
Old 06-14-2021, 07:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap4154 View Post
Can you see anything behind it if you take the dog house out? When I was hooking up a Sirius receiver to mine I could reach up behind it, but it's a little tight. In any case, it does look like you're going to have to pull the dash.
That's a good idea thanks. I'll try that first. I might be able to reach up and fix the immediate problem or at least identify it if I shake some cables or something. the replacement might wait for another day.
Old 06-14-2021, 07:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetranz View Post
That's a good idea thanks. I'll try that first. I might be able to reach up and fix the immediate problem or at least identify it if I shake some cables or something. the replacement might wait for another day.
I hope it works out, but if you have to remove the dash, I know the guy in the video did it with his fingers, but you might want to pick up some plastic trim removal tools. I had to remove the dash in my old 1994 Saturn to fix the instrument panel, and I was scared to death to do it for a long time and finally just dug in with some trim removal tools, and everything worked out fine. Just be patient. Frankly I wouldn't worry too much about removing those vacuum hoses on the vent controls, as long as you label them so they go back on in the same place.
Old 06-14-2021, 08:31 PM   #10

I would check with Crutchfield.com. Their business for owner installed auto stereo is unmatched.

I have replaced several factory radios with their kits.
Weeds636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 11:13 PM   #11

As craigav said, snaps off. I paid $60 to an Audio Tech to investigate an intermittent backup camera. Watched him have it off 2x in less than 2 minutes. Radio does have bolts hidden behind the bezel to remove the radio.
DbleDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 06:26 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeds636 View Post
I would check with Crutchfield.com. Their business for owner installed auto stereo is unmatched.

I have replaced several factory radios with their kits.
Yes I'm looking there. This might sound silly but I'm confused by the first fitment question.

I assume my correct answer is no since I don't have any built-in GPS system which is what I would call a "navigation system" but what are they really asking? I have a Pioneer radio / entertainment system / backup camera display which I think was "factory fitted" although I don't know if it was fitted by Ford or Winnebago.

Is that the navigation system at the top? It looks like a small display. My "boost" switch to start the engine from the house battery is there. A general web search for E450 navigation system doesn't really clarify it. I was hoping to find a picture or description of something that I clearly don't have but that mostly just brings up more "radios".
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at 7.10.35 AM.png
Views:	200
Size:	247.7 KB
ID:	332338  
Old 06-19-2021, 12:23 PM   #13

I'm making progress on this but have two newbie questions.

Can anyone here tell me how to get the wiring off at the back? The closest one in that picture is a DC power / cigarette lighter socket. Do you just pull it, turn it, squeeze it or what? It's not obvious by looking at it and I haven't been able to move anything on it. I haven't got to the more complex harnesses yet.

I only tried briefly to disconnect things because I decided that I should disconnect the battery while doing this but even that ran into a problem. This is an embarrassingly simple question but how do I disconnect that terminal? I can loosen the bolt but it doesn't seem to pull off. The top part seems to be holding it on and it needs to be opened some how. I need to at least be able to replace a battery myself. With cars I've just loosened it and pulled it off.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20210619_123719110.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	236.7 KB
ID:	332721   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210619_123816627.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	374.0 KB
ID:	332722  

Old 06-19-2021, 12:54 PM   #14

Not really sure which connection on the dash you're talking about, but on the battery connection just insert a slotted screwdriver in that little opening and turn it a little bit too expand the gap slightly. Then wiggle the connection left and right and it should come off.

Tags
dash, dashboard, e450, ford, radio, removal