Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2021, 08:46 AM   #197

Grand Design Owners Club
I had left my coach last week at my new Ford dealer
They got parts in and it will be finished today.
I will update after I get service report, as to what exactly was found and what was done.

I see a line of Coaches at my ‘old’ Ford dealer, just sitting there. lol
CruzinAround is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2021, 09:24 AM   #198

2021 3626 Bay Star - Rear Axle Bone Dry w/ Shavings

Picked up our Bay Star in Myrtle Beach April 16th. Questioned dealer about recall and was told no recall info. that it was ok to take delivery. Drove back to N. Florida and then one small 2.5 hour trip away for 2 weeks. 1405 Total miles and took it to Ford Dealer for recall 3 weeks ago only to find out now no rear axle fluid and plenty of shavings. I am told parts are emergency ordered but no ETA. Dealer advised could be a month or longer. WOW!
DLGilbert1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 09:45 AM   #199
D20

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLGilbert1 View Post
Picked up our Bay Star in Myrtle Beach April 16th. Questioned dealer about recall and was told no recall info. that it was ok to take delivery. Drove back to N. Florida and then one small 2.5 hour trip away for 2 weeks. 1405 Total miles and took it to Ford Dealer for recall 3 weeks ago only to find out now no rear axle fluid and plenty of shavings. I am told parts are emergency ordered but no ETA. Dealer advised could be a month or longer. WOW!
Not good. At least you got one trip in!

Did your VIN show it as being included in the recall? It is possible that Ford has not identified all of the affected VINs. Or maybe the RV dealer just wanted to turn a blind eye and complete the sale. It sounds like you may need all new differential parts as well as the recall wheel end parts. Did the Ford dealer say?
Old 06-08-2021, 11:34 PM   #200

Quote:
Originally Posted by D20 View Post
Not good. At least you got one trip in!

Did your VIN show it as being included in the recall? It is possible that Ford has not identified all of the affected VINs. Or maybe the RV dealer just wanted to turn a blind eye and complete the sale. It sounds like you may need all new differential parts as well as the recall wheel end parts. Did the Ford dealer say?
Sounds like they turned a blind eye. At the very least, they should have checked the axle fluid level. Appalling that they didn’t.
Ctraxler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 12:28 PM   #201

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Mine too has 2 holes one on top of the other. About and inch and 1/2 apart. Ford dealer told me to fill to the upper hole. Doesn’t sound right to me. If so mine is filled to the lower hole thus I’m low.
Cliebold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 06:44 AM   #202

Grand Design Owners Club
Fill to lower hole.

UPDATE
Ford changed bearings, races, seals etc...
However I got no info on what was found.
Considering 7,500 miles on it I it was taken care of.

My RV dealer said all their coaches are done.
However I see a long lime of coaches sitting at the Ford dealer they use.
CruzinAround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 04:32 PM   #203

Exclamation

Ford recall with parts on "national back-order"...no estimated due date on recall parts...unbelievable...local Ford dealer was authorized to install after-market parts until Ford parts are in...now ABS light & trac light remain on in my dash...plus no cruise control...dealer said ok to drive...none of this leaves me with a comfortable feeling!
H Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 07:09 PM   #204

Ford Recall Parts Update

Several months ago I contracted to buy a brand new 2021 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3014 that is still sitting on the RV Dealer's lot in Junction City, OR, undeliverable.

Today I met with the local Ford Commercial Vehicle service manager who is helping my RV Dealer with the recall. This Ford dealer has ordered the interim non-Ford bearings and parts for my motorhome and nine others. These parts are scheduled to ship around June 25th - from China. Once the interim parts are installed, the motorhome can technically be delivered to me and driven, and the Ford and Newmar warranty clocks start (when I take delivery). I am not warmed up to the idea of taking delivery of my first motorhome ever, that is also brand new, with this incomplete recall baggage!

The Ford chassis recall cannot be signed off until real Ford parts are later installed in place of the interim parts. For some reason not explained to me today, the real Ford parts cannot be ordered or back-ordered by our local Ford dealer at this time. There is also a separate issue that the local Ford dealer is not planning to perform the final recall parts ordering and installation and sign off, and suggested a Ford dealer who is 100-miles away. Waiting to hear if that can be changed to keep the accountability local.

The hardest part of all this from my perspective is the very poor flow of information and lack of the buck stopping in one place...
TW Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 07:19 PM   #205
D20

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by H Reid View Post
Ford recall with parts on "national back-order"...no estimated due date on recall parts...unbelievable...local Ford dealer was authorized to install after-market parts until Ford parts are in...now ABS light & trac light remain on in my dash...plus no cruise control...dealer said ok to drive...none of this leaves me with a comfortable feeling!
Seems they might have messed up the rear wheel speed sensors.
Old 06-12-2021, 05:37 AM   #206

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by H Reid View Post
Hi H Reid,

There’s a separate discussion about the Advance Trac fault light here: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/new-...ge-532864.html

In my case, the steering wheel had been mounted about 15 degrees off center. Steering corrections in a crosswind were causing the fault light to come on. It would go off after restarting the vehicle, but come on again in the next crosswind. Took mine to a Ford commercial vehicle service center who corrected the steering wheel position. No light since despite vicious crosswinds.

Good luck!
Old 06-12-2021, 08:25 AM   #207

On a 26,000 pound chassis how many quarts are in the rear end
Daverene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 09:00 AM   #208

So I’m at the Ford dealership I have 4000 miles on my coach they just had to put 5 quarts a rear end fluid in it to bring it up to full does that make sense to anybody if it was that low shouldn’t the rear end have failed by now
Daverene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 09:29 AM   #209
D20

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daverene View Post
On a 26,000 pound chassis how many quarts are in the rear end
Here are the specs on the rear axle with capacities:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-06-12 at 11.28.15.png
Views:	47
Size:	185.1 KB
ID:	331859  
Old 06-12-2021, 09:39 AM   #210
D20

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daverene View Post
So I’m at the Ford dealership I have 4000 miles on my coach they just had to put 5 quarts a rear end fluid in it to bring it up to full does that make sense to anybody if it was that low shouldn’t the rear end have failed by now
I have the 26k chassis and mine was 4 qts low (about 1 1/8") which was about even with the bottom of the axle housing. I filled it up at 1584 miles immediately when the recall was issued in March. I have 7172 miles on it now with no ill effects. The 26k chassis has the wheel end lubrication plugs so I would think the wheel ends had the lubricant put in as required. But given Detroit Chassis' track record with properly adding lubricant, who knows.

So is that all the Ford dealer did, topped off the lubricant? Now that the recall procedure has been issued, if your VIN is on the list, they are supposed to replace the bearings, cups, etc.

Tags
ford, rear, recall