Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2021, 07:52 PM   #239

Quote:
Originally Posted by D20 View Post
Let me preface this by stating that I am certainly no expert on truck axles and I can't tell you what to do in your situation. I can only say what I have done and what I personally would do.

In my case, the recall was issued in March three business days before a planned departure. I couldn't get an appointment anywhere with that short notice to get the rear axle checked, so I filled up the differential myself and left as planned on my trip. There were no metal shavings on the magnetic plug and I reasoned that if there was going to be a problem, it would have shown up by 1500 miles. In March, Ford had only issued an advance notice of the recall and there was no resolution plan developed yet. The resolution didn't come out until May 7th. So the only thing to do was to top up the oil or park it. I wasn't about to cancel a cross country trip on a slim maybe and if a problem did develop while on my trip - well that is what tow trucks are made for.

I don't know if you have received the recall letter in the mail yet or not, but the recall letter sent by Ford reads:

"Ford has not issued instructions to stop driving your vehicle under this safety recall. You should contact your dealer for an appointment to have your vehicle remedied as soon as practicable. You can continue to safely drive your vehicle unless you notice an odor, hear metallic grinding or whining sounds from the rear of the vehicle or perceive vehicle drag."

So now Ford has issued the remedy document, BUT the parts are either not available yet or only sparsely available. So the only action that can be taken at this time is to top up the oil or park it. Ford specifically says there is no need to park it unless you notice something wrong as stated above.

This morning, I brought my BS in to Ford. They are overwhelmed with vehicles and do not have a plan yet on how they are going to handle the number of F53s & F59s coming in for the recall. Some parts are starting to come in later this week but they didn't know how much of their order was going to arrive. One of the seals they need to even open up the axle for inspection is on backorder. So after I told them that I filled the oil up in March, found basically nothing on the plug, and now have 7300 miles on it with no ill effects, they said that there is no reason to keep the RV there at the dealership waiting on parts. They checked the oil level and said to go enjoy the summer and to come back to get the bearings etc changed when the parts situation stabilizes. Originally when I talked to the service department on the phone, I was told the same thing as you - that they needed to open up the differential to check if any differential parts need to be ordered before they would even order the recall parts for me. But that story change radically after arriving there this morning. Oh and this place handles a lot of Ford trucks and they told me they have not yet seen any of the recalled axles with damage. Of course that doesn't mean they are not out there, because we know there have been axle failures.

Anyhow, long story short, if I were in your shoes I would let them know that I am just passing through and can't leave it for weeks waiting on parts. I would have them check the oil level, top it up, and see what is on the magnetic plug and take it from there. If I was not hearing any noises from the rear end and comfortable with the (hopefully slight depending on the findings) risk of being disabled, I would continue my trip knowing that Ford has stated there is no need to stop driving it. But that is just me.

Hopefully this is all for not and they will find your oil level to be OK.
D20 - thank you - I did get the letter and remember Ford saying they weren’t recommending to stop driving. I am in total agreement with what you suggest and if there is no obvious damage or shavings I will have them fill it and I’ll return later to a shop near my home for repairs. The recall says 25% of units we’re not impacted at all so I’m hoping we got lucky and it will be full!
bigag81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2021, 08:09 PM   #240

We have a deposit on a 2021 3626 Newmar Baystar and are in similar bind, its ready except for an awning and more importantly, held up at the factory due to the ford chassis recall. We feel like we need to wait it out or pay 2022 prices! Some have mentioned on this forum the "fix" or parts won't be avail until fall?? What I don't get is...
I read on this forum that IF it the chassis only has a certain limited number of miles on it, thst it would probably only need the fluid checked and possibly added. Being that our coaches are still at the factory, how could they have been driven enough miles to cause the damage that would require a need for "replacement" parts? I was optomistic and hoping because ours is still at the factory, that once it was checked, it would just need fluid and be released. That didnt happen. 😕
PegGene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 11:14 PM   #241

Quote:
Originally Posted by PegGene View Post
We have a deposit on a 2021 3626 Newmar Baystar and are in similar bind, its ready except for an awning and more importantly, held up at the factory due to the ford chassis recall. We feel like we need to wait it out or pay 2022 prices! Some have mentioned on this forum the "fix" or parts won't be avail until fall?? What I don't get is...
I read on this forum that IF it the chassis only has a certain limited number of miles on it, thst it would probably only need the fluid checked and possibly added. Being that our coaches are still at the factory, how could they have been driven enough miles to cause the damage that would require a need for "replacement" parts? I was optomistic and hoping because ours is still at the factory, that once it was checked, it would just need fluid and be released. That didnt happen. 😕
We have a deposit on a 2021 Tiffin Open Road that has been in recall jail at the dealership since late March. We were told that it was finally getting fixed this week, so we’ll be able to take delivery in July. We’re kind of in a “I’ll-believe-it-when-I-see-it” mode at this point. And with the dealer in Washington state, and us in Northern Cal, we’re kinda at their mercy till we get there. But we plan to talk with the head of their service department and will ask for documentation of what was done, as well as something confirming the service center was able to clear the recall, before we head up there. This whole thing has been such a mess. But we’re with you on canceling the purchase, at least for now. Not crazy about paying 2022 prices as an alternative.
Ctraxler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 06:21 AM   #242

Grand Design Owners Club
I to have a Winnebago Adventurer (30t) received at Christmas.
It has been a full time job dealing with the two dealers. Ford has been deceptive and outright lies. The RV dealers service department ignorant.
Ford dealer changed power booster for brakes, power steering pump was bad. They’ve lied and have been deceptive about the advancetrax. It has never operated and I found no documentation in the paperwork and had to call national. RV dealer worse.
You must be prepared to deal with these issues and take it in stride or get a tow behind.
CruzinAround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 06:23 AM   #243

Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
I thought of that two.
If less than three miles it should just need oil level checked (according to letter)
Old 06-24-2021, 08:22 AM   #244

Quote:
We have a deposit on a 2021 3626 Newmar Baystar and are in similar bind [....] What I don't get is...
I read on this forum that IF it the chassis only has a certain limited number of miles on it, thst it would probably only need the fluid checked and possibly added. Being that our coaches are still at the factory, how could they have been driven enough miles to cause the damage that would require a need for "replacement" parts?....
I'm in the same spot as you, PegGene, but with a Winnebago. Ford has declared that the replacement parts must be installed if the chassis is driven for more than 5 miles. The Winnebago factory rep has informed me that the chassis gets driven far more than 5 miles as part of the manufacturing process.
bakerfamca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 10:21 AM   #245

Tiffin Owners Club
Greater than 5 miles need bearings

We are in the same dilemma with Tiffin Open Road. I'm not sure about New Mar but Tiffins paint shop is 6 miles from their plant hence greater than 5 miles on the chassis. Our Tiffin was completed 1st week of May (ordered in Jan ) but sitting in Red Bay waiting for Ford Bearings. Talking with Tiffin last week they were told by Ford that Bearings should arrive end of June then a Ford tech will go to Red Bay and install. Lots of patience and prayers going on here. Time will tell I guess. Hope this gets resolved soon and we get to enjoy our rigs.
Papachuckl97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 11:15 AM   #246

Ford Replaced Rear End Parts But Now Some Alarm Going Off

I was expecting a call today to pick up our BS 3626 after one month at Ford for recall. The call came and they put the replacement parts in but upon test driving an alarm was going off and they need to get it figured out.

Not sure what the alarm is about but I guess Ford dealer will figure it out.
Seems like I remember reading something in the forums about rebuilding the rear end messed the traction control sensor with the computer? Any thoughts on what the alarm could be?
DLGilbert1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 11:19 AM   #247
D20

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLGilbert1 View Post
I was expecting a call today to pick up our BS 3626 after one month at Ford for recall. The call came and they put the replacement parts in but upon test driving an alarm was going off and they need to get it figured out.

Not sure what the alarm is about but I guess Ford dealer will figure it out.
Seems like I remember reading something in the forums about rebuilding the rear end messed the traction control sensor with the computer? Any thoughts on what the alarm could be?
The tone rings are apparently easily damaged. If it is an ABS alarm then that could be the cause.
Old 06-26-2021, 12:13 PM   #248

More info about the Ford differentials and parts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by D20 View Post
Documents now posted include affected production dates.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls?nhtsaId=21V202

See the attached Ford recall document for more info about the two differentials and necessary Ford part numbers:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Ford Safety Recall 21S17 May 7 2021.pdf (617.1 KB, 31 views)
TW Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 05:35 AM   #249

Grand Design Owners Club
Ford seems to have a hard time on these.
At first I was told that you lose the data from Trac Control System when you shut engine battery off.
Another mechanic not only said that wasn’t true but, went back looked more thoroughly and found problem is likely the steering module which has the cruise control tied into it.
Other dealer acted like it was a single event but, history IS there and shows dozens of failures.
Get documentation!
Old 06-28-2021, 09:50 AM   #250

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerfamca View Post
I'm in the same spot as you, PegGene, but with a Winnebago. Ford has declared that the replacement parts must be installed if the chassis is driven for more than 5 miles. The Winnebago factory rep has informed me that the chassis gets driven far more than 5 miles as part of the manufacturing process.
Quick update: the parts are beginning to land and work is starting to break the jam. My rig is out of recall and is in the transportation queue at Winnebago, waiting on a driver to take it to my dealer in Washington state.

We're hopeful that we will have it in our possession by the end of July, if not sooner. Will update the thread once we do.
bakerfamca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 04:24 PM   #251

I read this thread with interest because our 2021 Newmar Bay Star is subject to Ford’s current recall. I’m smarter now because of the posts on here, so thank you everybody.

Below is a version of something I posted in the “New 2021 Ford F-53 Service AdvanceTrac Message” thread recently. I’m putting it here because some of you, like H Reid and DLGilbert1, seem to be going through what we just went through.

We bought our new RV in December 2020, shortly after Newmar drove it from the factory to the dealership. We were told there were “no issues” with the RV during that 2200 mile drive. But as soon as we drove off the dealer’s lot and got on the freeway, the ABS and traction control system (TCS) warning lights came on. This disengaged the cruise control, hill assist, and we’re not sure what else.

We called the Newmar dealership but were told to call Ford b/c we had a chassis problem, not a coach problem. Over the next 120 days, the RV spent > 40 days in Ford service departments and > 20 days in a Newmar service department.

The ABS sensor was replaced. Then the ECBM was replaced. Then a partial wire harness overlay was done. Then the partial wire harness overlay was removed and a total wire harness overlay installed. None of these repairs fixed the problem. Then the front left tone ring assembly was replaced and the ABS and TCS finally lights turned off...for about 200 miles. Then they came back on.

We took the RV to a different Ford service department where the prior wire harness overlay was removed and replaced with a new one. This turned off the warning lights and, although we have driven the RV less than 50 miles since then, the lights have remained off so far.

Sadly, Newmar says it’s a Ford issue b/c Ford wires the chassis. Ford says it’s a Newmar issue b/c Newmar alters the wiring when it assembles and attaches the coach to the chassis. So we’re not sure where the problem originates.

Someone suggested that anyone who has the same or similar complaint(s), go on the NHTSA website and report the problem. I did. I guess if enough people do it, the NHTSA will investigate and take whatever action necessary to prevent the problem in the future.
ClydeNBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 06:25 AM   #252

Grand Design Owners Club
Please post any service invoices from Ford for completed work (redacted) that state what problem is.

Tags
ford, rear, recall