Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2021, 01:17 PM   #267

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerfamca View Post
Picked up our 2021 Winnebago Adventurer 29B yesterday. Have driven it 20 miles to our parking spot for it.

So far, so good!

Shakedown cruise will be weekend of July 23 and will be about 200 miles out and back. Will advise on driving characteristics.
Enjoy your ride. Life can be great.
Name:   tapatalk_1523817897075.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  35.0 KB
Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2021, 05:34 PM   #268

Quote:
Originally Posted by D20 View Post
“March 24, 2021

Ford Recall # 21S17

NHTSA Recall # 21V202

Description: Inadequate rear axle oil fill volume

Safety Risk: In the event of rear axle or driveshaft failure customers may experience loss of vehicle motive power loss of transmission park function and loss of parking brake function increasing the risk of a crash

Remedy: Owners will be notified by mail and instructed to take their vehicle to a ford or lincoln dealer all vehicles will be inspected for lubricant level and evaluated to determine if bearing replacement is necessary there will be no charge for this service ford is excluding reimbursement for costs because the original warranty program would provide for a free repair for this concern ford will forward a copy of the notification letters to dealers to the agency when available.”

The recall information posted does not specify an affected production date range or chassis model year. I have a 2020 F-53 chassis built in November of 2020 and my chassis is affected. I have checked several other 2020 model year F-53 chassis VINs that I found on RVTrader and most, but not all, are affected as well. It seems early 2020 production is not affected, but I can not confirm that.

The best thing to do if you have a 2020 or 2021 F-53 chassis is to go to https://www.nhtsa.gov and enter your VIN #. A generic search for recalls on the 2020/21 F-53 chassis does not list this recall. This recall will only show up by searching with your specific VIN number.

I checked the oil level in my rear axle and found it to be about 1 1/8” low. It took 4 quarts to fill it. I didn’t think to fill the wheel ends before I had put all the oil I had into the pumpkin. On an axle that has the wheel end plugs will the oil in the sump make its way to the bearings? I have to think that the manufacturer filled the wheel ends and just shorted the pumpkin. I have been trying to get an appointment at my Ford dealer to address this recall but they are not very responsive. I figured that while I am waiting around for Ford, I better get some oil in there. When I do eventually get into Ford, I will let them know what I found and the techs can then make a decision on whether to inspect the bearings or not.

With so many motorhomes being recalled with the F53 rear axle issue there has to be a lot of unhappy campers out there. Is there nothing we can to considering that we've paid all this money out and we are not able to use our
rv's until they are repaired. Parts are now on back order here in Orlando with many RV's waiting for the repair.
joyce.erb54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 06:19 PM   #269

I'm to the point of just selling our Newmar Bay Star 3014 tired of all the problems with this coach from Newmar and Ford. Took delivery April 29th tried to get Newmar to give us information rather ours was one of the units that Ford and Newmar had check because they kept telling us that Ford and their people were out checking the rear-end recall while still at the plant this was in late March before it was driven 1100 miles. Ours is back at the dealership now over 4 weeks it was only driven to storage then back to dealership due to poorly painted front cap then they sloppily applied the Diamond Shield over it, Also other paint areas that don't look right and what looks like a white compound allowed to dry in all the seams, The seal between front cap and coach had Cracks from one side to the other, Only 3 screws holding the entry door on to frame all the others were stripped out with large gap where screen door closes along with gap at door and frame, After it was done it had to set and wait for awning but when the awning arrived they damage the awning track and the gutter and leaving a gap along with bent track and a 2 inch screw sticking out, Looks like water heater installed sticking out to far so door flaps in the wind while driving, Part of seal on front windshield is missing where it contacts the glass. After that I apparently have to wait till the known problem of having the plug wires to go bad from not having enough airflow over the passager side of engine even though Ford knows its a problem with a service bulletin but won't fix it till It leaves you setting. Not to mention even finding a Ford dealership even willing to work on it.
yellow73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 11:23 PM   #270

Our 2021 Newmar Bay Star, which we took delivery on at the end of March (after the dealer hold letter was issued by Ford) has been sitting at a Ford truck service center since June (the earliest we could get an appointment). Our dealer shouldn’t have delivered the vehicle to us! I found out about the recall from these forums.

The Ford service center is waiting for parts from Ford to perform the recall repair (replace bearings, etc). I did try to have them pre-order the parts before my appointment and they wouldn’t do that. They required that I bring the coach in to them and then they would order the parts. Newmar tried to help with that and got the same answer from Ford. Their estimate to receive the parts is the end of July. The coach is still at the Ford truck dealer and they will not return until it is repaired (of course I could demand it back, but who knows the consequences warranty and insurance for such a step). Newmar service has been very responsive and helpful to the extent they can since this is a Ford issue. Nevertheless, at the end of the day, I have a new Newmar vehicle which I am unable to use due to a safety issue. This has wiped out our summer vacation plans.
aeroquality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 12:20 AM   #271

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroquality View Post
Our 2021 Newmar Bay Star, which we took delivery on at the end of March (after the dealer hold letter was issued by Ford) has been sitting at a Ford truck service center since June (the earliest we could get an appointment). Our dealer shouldn’t have delivered the vehicle to us! I found out about the recall from these forums.

The Ford service center is waiting for parts from Ford to perform the recall repair (replace bearings, etc). I did try to have them pre-order the parts before my appointment and they wouldn’t do that. They required that I bring the coach in to them and then they would order the parts. Newmar tried to help with that and got the same answer from Ford. Their estimate to receive the parts is the end of July. The coach is still at the Ford truck dealer and they will not return until it is repaired (of course I could demand it back, but who knows the consequences warranty and insurance for such a step). Newmar service has been very responsive and helpful to the extent they can since this is a Ford issue. Nevertheless, at the end of the day, I have a new Newmar vehicle which I am unable to use due to a safety issue. This has wiped out our summer vacation plans.
I don’t suppose this helps, but you’re in good company. All of our summer and early fall plans have now been canceled.
Ctraxler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 08:50 PM   #272

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroquality View Post

I feel sorry for you guys. I guess I am lucky that mine had enough fluid in it to be ok (at least I think it did).I filled it up as soon as I heard about the issue and the dealer couldn't get parts. I still keep an eye out for any issue. I wish we could just get the parts in so everyone could go camping and be happy like we planned when we bought these things!!

Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 08:22 AM   #273

We have a deposit on a 2021 3626 still at the factory. Anticipated pick up in June. Friends that were in Napanee last week checked on status of our coach. There are 1100 coaches sitting waiting for various parts. We have cancelled all of our summer/fall plans and are now booking hotels. Very disappointing but were told theres already an increase on 2022 and another I believe took effect July 16 which puts a 2022 way out of our price range. We feel we have no option but to wait. Trying to be positive, at least we're not making payments on a coach we can't use, guess that makes us one of the lucky ones???
PegGene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 12:18 PM   #274

Ford Super Duty Owner
PegGene,

Most likely your VIN is newer than the effected range in which case, this whole issue is not even your problem. But, and it's a BIG BUT, it is very common practice to have a new model year coach that's built on last year's chassis. So...VIN check is your first step. When I picked ours up at the factory, they had put about 75 miles on it.

The whole component scenario is pretty disgusting. Generators (Onan/Cummins) made in China...axles and differentials made in India. So much for buying American. Once it's delivered and paid for, you have to ride these people to fix stuff that should have been right the first time.

+++++

Yellow 73,

Sorry to hear about your issues. NIRVC is pretty decent about fixing stuff but they are swamped. If you are serious about selling the beast, now is still a seller's market. The 2022 price change and a long wait time make your coach pretty marketable.

As "clean" as mine was off of the line, there are still a few things. My screen door also seems to have been built by a blind monkey (measured wrong). The transfer switch went out and NIRVC got that fixed w/in 3 days. Make sure your Generator isn't giving you CO warnings. The exhaust is supposed to extent BEYOND the outer wall, our's did not. Newmar has authorized a warranty fix.

Jack
Jacjetlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 10:15 AM   #275

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacjetlag View Post
PegGene,

Most likely your VIN is newer than the effected range in which case, this whole issue is not even your problem. But, and it's a BIG BUT, it is very common practice to have a new model year coach that's built on last year's chassis. So...VIN check is your first step. When I picked ours up at the factory, they had put about 75 miles on it.

As "clean" as mine was off of the line, there are still a few things. My screen door also seems to have been built by a blind monkey (measured wrong). The transfer switch went out and NIRVC got that fixed w/in 3 days. Make sure your Generator isn't giving you CO warnings. The exhaust is supposed to extent BEYOND the outer wall, our's did not. Newmar has authorized a warranty fix.

Jack

I am waiting for my RV dealer to receive the interim (non Ford) bearing kit for my 2021 BayStar Sport 3014 so phase I of the recall can be accomplished and we can take delivery. Our dealer has received 4 bearing kits for other VIN's in the past ten days. We spotted the screen door misfit problem and the dealer ordered a new screen door via Newmar. I called Challenger Door who makes the entry doors for Newmar and they said they had designed a new screen that correctly fits with a proper radius a while back. I wanted to be sure I was going to get a real solution.

Also checked the spark plug wire cooling issue and found that my Ford chassis was manufactured about a month after the service bulletin range: "TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
7.3L - Illuminated MIL With Misfire Or Lack Of Power And DTCs
P0300, P0316, And/Or P0301-P0304 - Built On Or Before 28-Sep-
2020". I looked under the hood and can see that mine has different cooling airflow. Apparently there are newer plug wires than mine got so still have that to chase.

TWS
TW Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 02:18 PM   #276

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Closing the loop

I was able to get the recall addressed last week. The parts were ordered in mid-May and arrived about six weeks later (factory replacements vice interim). I worked with Aaron at the Rush Truck Center in Whittier, CA who scheduled me in such that it was done in one day. This was a special accommodation by Aaron, the parts team, shop foreman and technicians at Rush that I sincerely appreciated.

In what I hope will be my last act related to this, I sent Ford a reimbursement claim for the 3 quarts of axle oil needed in April to bring the fill level up to spec.

A huge THANK YOU to D20 for starting this thread and all of the folks who shared information about the recall and steps that could be taken to deal with it early on. That help enabled us to have use of our terrific BayStar 3014 for 8,500 miles while we awaited the fix. A particular shout out to those who shared Ford’s May 17th recall guidance. Being informed as to the exact parts and steps needed to address the recall helped me be an effective self-advocate working with the busy team at Rush Truck Center. You all are terrific!

For those still waiting, I hope your fix happens soon.
Old 08-02-2021, 04:50 PM   #277
D20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Mike View Post
I was able to get the recall addressed last week. The parts were ordered in mid-May and arrived about six weeks later (factory replacements vice interim). I worked with Aaron at the Rush Truck Center in Whittier, CA who scheduled me in such that it was done in one day. This was a special accommodation by Aaron, the parts team, shop foreman and technicians at Rush that I sincerely appreciated.

In what I hope will be my last act related to this, I sent Ford a reimbursement claim for the 3 quarts of axle oil needed in April to bring the fill level up to spec.

A huge THANK YOU to D20 for starting this thread and all of the folks who shared information about the recall and steps that could be taken to deal with it early on. That help enabled us to have use of our terrific BayStar 3014 for 8,500 miles while we awaited the fix. A particular shout out to those who shared Ford’s May 17th recall guidance. Being informed as to the exact parts and steps needed to address the recall helped me be an effective self-advocate working with the busy team at Rush Truck Center. You all are terrific!

For those still waiting, I hope your fix happens soon.
Great news! Hopefully the availability of OEM parts will continue to get better.
Old 08-03-2021, 07:00 PM   #278

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Had my recall fixed with OEM parts 12 days ago. It took 6 hours. The recall was cleared from the system in 2 days and I received my reimbursement check from Ford for 4 quarts of oil in 3 days.
Old 08-04-2021, 12:28 AM   #279

Ford Super Duty Owner
Mine is going "under the knife" on Friday, Aug.13th. The Ford folks were decent enough to get the parts beforehand, so it is supposed to be done in one day.

Ford rep told me the reason some dealerships don't do truck/RV repair is because the shop doors aren't tall enough. That's a dumb enough reason, I guess.
Jacjetlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 12:59 PM   #280

Seriously?

I'm in the market for a 2021 Fleetwood. I plugged the VIN into the NHTSA website and it says '0 unrepaired recalls'.

At first glance this is comforting but I would feel better if I knew the details about this unit: Was it affected and repaired and/or physically checked? Not affected?

I asked the dealer and all the dealer can tell me is, 'no recalls came up as necessary'. This does not inspire confidence.

Is there truly no way to dig deeper into a VIN's history with respect to this recall?

I'm also disappointed in the dealer, seems like they should be able to say, 'Yeah, we got the letter, checked this unit, and found X'. Not just 'no recalls seem to apply'. That makes me think they did the same thing I did.

Very disturbing situation. I want some certainty.
kwiebe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, rear, recall