Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2021, 07:45 AM   #29

I contacted fleetwood and the person I spoke to was unaware of the recall and said it doesn't show up on there records. Also said all recalls would be done before I pick up. Doesn't give me a lot of confidence?
Dval is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2021, 09:30 AM   #30

I just ran the VIN on my 2-week old Tiffin 32SA and it is showing an unrepaired recall for the rear axle fluid. Now the challenge will be finding a Ford dealer that can actually work on a heavy duty chassis.
Old 04-05-2021, 03:22 PM   #31

Grand Design Owners Club
So I decided that since the bulletin to the dealers is not yet issued and the dealer are not going to perform any work without it; and since the servicing dealer is 30+ miles away and I don't want to drive the RV knowing that the pumpkin level is low; and after consulting with the dealer to determine that I would not likely be voiding any standing for the warranty/recall if I topped the level off; I've decided to top it of and bought 3 quarts of the specified Motorcraft lubricant. Ouch! $26 a quart. Hopefully 3 quarts will enough.
Kluffinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 05:03 PM   #32

I bought 4 quarts. Same ouchy price/quart.
Shadow5501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 06:10 PM   #33

Grand Design Owners Club
I figure since the only defect that I actually know for certain at this point was the low level, then by correcting that I can show that I did not continue to operate with a known defect.
Old 04-06-2021, 08:17 AM   #34

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Please let us know how much it actually took to fill. I may fill mine as well.
Old 04-06-2021, 09:31 AM   #35

Grand Design Owners Club
Mine was 1 1/8" low, measured using a wire bent in an "L" and probing through the fill hole. It took 3 quarts to get the level to the bottom of the hole. I used a gear oil hand pump I picked up at Harbor Freight for $8. Well worth it.

Before I added the new I used a piece of quarter inch vinyl icemaker tubing and drew out an ounce or so to keep as an undiluted sample. Just put in one end and place your thumb over the other end and draw a bit out at a time. I was also able to pick up some of the black sludge at the bottom of the sump that results from the breaking in.

Also look at the magnet on the end of the plug. There may be some sludge there and what you are looking for are any metallic "hairs". if there are then I would clean it off with a tissue and put the tissue in a ziploc bag.
Old 04-07-2021, 03:50 PM   #36

Mine took 3.5 quarts until I had fluid running out the fill hole. So mine was 3.5/16 = 22% low. Not great.

I removed the vent on the top of the passenger side axle and filled from there. There’s plenty of room to invert the quart bottles. Super simple and minimal mess. Add until fluid overflows out the filler plug.
Old 04-08-2021, 09:15 AM   #37

This was the response I received from Newmar on this subject.
You are not the only one who has asked me this. We have FORD reps come in on the weekends and who are here daily taken care of the recalls here before they leave our facility.
Natalie Miller | Sales Customer Experience Coordinator
yellow73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 06:43 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow73 View Post
This was the response I received from Newmar on this subject.
You are not the only one who has asked me this. We have FORD reps come in on the weekends and who are here daily taken care of the recalls here before they leave our facility.
Natalie Miller | Sales Customer Experience Coordinator

I am in contact with Newmar on this, for a brand new 2021 RV that I just took delivery of. They are saying they have had no knowledge of this recall and that my coach is not showing in their system has having the recall. The NHTSA site does, on the other hand, show my coach is subject to this recall and that it is not satisfied for my unit. Seems a Ford field rep that would work on their units at the factory would record it in the database and also on the system that feeds the NHTSA database.
aeroquality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 06:51 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroquality View Post
I am in contact with Newmar on this, for a brand new 2021 RV that I just took delivery of. They are saying they have had no knowledge of this recall and that my coach is not showing in their system has having the recall. The NHTSA site does, on the other hand, show my coach is subject to this recall and that it is not satisfied for my unit. Seems a Ford field rep that would work on their units at the factory would record it in the database and also on the system that feeds the NHTSA database.
Ford announced the recall on March 24th, so there’s a good chance your RV had left the factory before that date. I don’t know whether the responsibility lies with Newmar or Ford to contact you regarding the recall. I think it’s Ford, but I would hope that Newmar follows up as well.
Old 04-08-2021, 10:56 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroquality View Post
Our coach is in the bone yard waiting for the awning I don't think Natalie is liking my questioning of this situation. I know I will not accept this coach till its been cleared of any chance of burning up a bearing and causing us to lose and axle.
yellow73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 07:38 AM   #41

Great news! ... he said sarcastically. My unit VIN is included in the recall. And I've got a 7,000 mile trip planned for May.

And...in addition to the recall, it needs a couple of relatively minor warranty issues fixed (dash AC and brakes).

Going through the Ford commercial truck site, I called on SEVEN service shop/dealers within a two hour drive of Atlanta.

NONE of them could/would schedule the service for any time in the month of April, 2021.

The responses were either: "We have a month-long back-up for service, call us next month and maybe we can fit you in," or, "We don't service motorhomes anymore."

Is this the new normal? You can't get warranty service -- or maybe any service at all on your F53 -- at a Ford dealer?

What might be my options?
Hermes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 05:54 PM   #42

I have a 21 Baystar on order that's included in the recall. It's not in production yet so I hope Newmar can get it resolved before it's driven 1600 miles to my dealer. I checked with a local Ford dealership and was told

"Regarding the recall, 21S17 Inadequate Rear Axle Oil Fill Volume, this is an Advance Notice recall. What that means is that Ford has not released the repair procedure. At this time they expect to have that information available by the end of September, 2021."

I'm going to wait & see, hope for the best. If I had the coach now, I'd add the oil myself before driving it without.

Tags
ford, rear, recall