Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2010, 05:04 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford F53 service engine lite on

I have a 2000 Winnebago Adventurer 35 foot long with a ford F53 V-10.

I have been having problems whit the service engine lite coming on. The place I take it to replaced the O2 sensor last year. The lite came on again and they could find nothing wrong. They swapped a F53 truck computer in their shop and diagnosed the problem as a faulty computer. We replaced the original computer with one made for the RV. We used the RV for a 1300 mile trip and all was well untill we started the sngine to leave the campground. The lite came on again. I took it back to the mechanic again and they replaced (I think) an oxygen sensor that is located inside the air filter. I picked up the motor home today and drove it to the storage lot. As I attempted to back it onto my storage slot the engine stalled and the service engine lite came on again. One thing I did note is that a prior time that the lite came on it was under the same condition. I started to back up, the engine stalled and the service engine lite came on again. Has anyone got any thoughts on what is going on?
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2010, 11:52 PM   #2

Check to make sure the large air intake tube from your air filter is properly connected to the throttle body. Check fuel filler cap make sure it's turned so it's sealed properly. Have you changed the fuel filter? The sensor inside your air filter is the Mass Airflow Sensor. If you traveled through any rain, check your air filter make sure it's dry and clean.

I would start by checking those items first, hopefully some other members can offer more suggestions.

Good luck and let us know when you find the problem,

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:55 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
You can read the code with an OBD II code reader. you can buy them for under $100 or most auto parts stores will read them for you. The Scan Gauge II also reads the codes as well as many other readings from the computer, such as Water Temp, Transmission Temp, Charging Voltage, Speed RPM, Mileage and a lot more.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 01:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by codgerbill View Post
I have a 2000 Winnebago Adventurer 35 foot long with a ford F53 V-10.

I have been having problems whit the service engine lite coming on. The place I take it to replaced the O2 sensor last year. The lite came on again and they could find nothing wrong. They swapped a F53 truck computer in their shop and diagnosed the problem as a faulty computer. We replaced the original computer with one made for the RV. We used the RV for a 1300 mile trip and all was well untill we started the sngine to leave the campground. The lite came on again. I took it back to the mechanic again and they replaced (I think) an oxygen sensor that is located inside the air filter. I picked up the motor home today and drove it to the storage lot. As I attempted to back it onto my storage slot the engine stalled and the service engine lite came on again. One thing I did note is that a prior time that the lite came on it was under the same condition. I started to back up, the engine stalled and the service engine lite came on again. Has anyone got any thoughts on what is going on?
What is going on is you need a new mechanic.

What code is set? if there is a light there is a code. The order of the codes given is important too. List them here and we will be glad to help you do what your mechanic was paid for.

O2 sensor is a reasonable guess without a code scanner but computer? I have had less than 5 ford computers fail in all my experiece. Mechanics replace them all the time. The old ones are fine most of the time.

Any person that calls themselves a mechanic without proper diagnostic tools for the vehicle being worked on is an imposter and scam artitst. Need the proper tools to do the job.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:37 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Service engine lite

An up date with my Service engine lite occurance

I have been having a reoccurring problem regarding the Service Engine Lite. The first time it came on I had pulled the coach forward to prepare to back into assigned campground. I put thr transmission in reverse and litely applied gas paedal and the engine stalled and the "service engine lite"came on. The O2 sensor was replaced. The next occurrence came some time later in the season and happened when I was leaving my assigned spot in a campground. I put the transmission in "D" and lightly put my foot on the gas pedal, the engine stalled and the "service engine lite" came on. . Since that time the following has been replaced:

1. O2 sensor (second time)
2. Engine computer (Not communicating)
3. Vehicle speed sensor
4. Transmission speed sensor
5. Transmission range selector
6. Mass air flow sensor

The similarity in how things have happened is that for all but one time the lite came on when I put the transmission in reverse to back into storage or campground lot. The current "service engine lite" problem was the result of backing into the storage lot after a 700 mile trip. I took the coach to the shop where I have it serviced today and the codes this time were PO720, PO722, and PO503. The shop owner said that those codes are related to a frequency problem and suspects that the problem may be related to the backup camera/TV system putting out a frequency that is causing a glitch with the engine computer. The shop owner is putting a new backup camera/TV system on his motor home and has had some anomalies with the picture on the backup system TV. He called the manufacture and was told that in some cases the system (backup camera/TV) could cause the service engine lite to come on.

I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if so what was the fix?
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote