Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2013, 03:09 AM   #1

Ford F53 V10 will not start - Any ideas ?

I have a year 2000 Thor/ Four winds Hurricane on the Ford F53 Chassis.
The RV has around 22,000 miles and is in great condition. I started it up today (29 degrees) and drove it about 1/4 mile to an area where I park it to run the generator monthly to keep it in tune. The RV started and ran perfect. I shut the engine off while I was parked. After about 10 to 15 mins with the engine off I decided to start the engine in order to leave and go back to my parking spot.
Well as you can tell from the title, it did not start. I did not get any starter noise or cranking noise. There is NO clicking or turning over of the engine. The battery is perfect as I keep it on a trickle charger, and all the lights and all other electrical works fine and I have 12.9 volts on a voltmeter. For some strange reason the engine will not start. Again, NO clicking, NO cranking, NO nothing. All I hear is the sound of the electrical relay sending power to the starter.

Does this sound like the starter died ? or does it sound like a loose wire or corroded wire or bad ground somewhere ? I checked the position of the shifter to be sure that it is all the way completely pushed to the left in the Park setting since my 2001 Ford f150 will also not start if the shifter is a bit off from the Park notch setting in the column shifter. I made sure that the column shifter in the Motorhome is securely in the park position and nothing happened. I even tried the Neutral setting but nothing there also.
It will not start, crank, click or even make any sound.

I will have it towed tomorrow, but I am wondering if the Ford F53 has any weakness or known issues that anyone is aware of that might cause this problem ? Would a starter just seize or die like that ?

Any things that I need to check first ?

Thanks Mark
Markrving is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2013, 05:50 AM   #2

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markrving View Post
I have a year 2000 Thor/ Four winds Hurricane on the Ford F53 Chassis.
The RV has around 22,000 miles and is in great condition. I started it up today (29 degrees) and drove it about 1/4 mile to an area where I park it to run the generator monthly to keep it in tune. The RV started and ran perfect. I shut the engine off while I was parked. After about 10 to 15 mins with the engine off I decided to start the engine in order to leave and go back to my parking spot.
Well as you can tell from the title, it did not start. I did not get any starter noise or cranking noise. There is NO clicking or turning over of the engine. The battery is perfect as I keep it on a trickle charger, and all the lights and all other electrical works fine and I have 12.9 volts on a voltmeter. For some strange reason the engine will not start. Again, NO clicking, NO cranking, NO nothing. All I hear is the sound of the electrical relay sending power to the starter.

Does this sound like the starter died ? or does it sound like a loose wire or corroded wire or bad ground somewhere ? I checked the position of the shifter to be sure that it is all the way completely pushed to the left in the Park setting since my 2001 Ford f150 will also not start if the shifter is a bit off from the Park notch setting in the column shifter. I made sure that the column shifter in the Motorhome is securely in the park position and nothing happened. I even tried the Neutral setting but nothing there also.
It will not start, crank, click or even make any sound.

I will have it towed tomorrow, but I am wondering if the Ford F53 has any weakness or known issues that anyone is aware of that might cause this problem ? Would a starter just seize or die like that ?

Any things that I need to check first ?

Thanks Mark
sorry to hear about your problem. My first thought would be a bad ground wire. We had this problem with our f53 earlier this year. went to a ford truck center and had a bad ground. fortunately we were under warranty. good luck with the repair. safe travels.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:56 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
no start

find starter ontop should be round solenoid tap with hammer or stick .
Old 12-26-2013, 06:23 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ford starter solenoids have been known to fail and from your description sounds like it could be the problem, the advise above has been used with good success. If you have someone keep trying the key while you tap directly on the solenoid, it may start. If it does then you'll need to get it replaced. Be sure all of your terminals are clean and tight and the cables leading to them show no signs of corrosion.

Good luck!
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 06:53 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Sounds like a bad starter motor relay or electrical relay as you call it.
Replace it and I am sure it would be good to go.

/
subford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:56 AM   #6

How about the brake. Some vehicles need to have the foot brake applied for the starter to engage, and I've seen people fail to do this on occasion, and ask the same question. Just a shot!

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:57 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Make sure it's in Park too. We did that once.
patsikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:42 AM   #8

Neutral safety switch may be stuck/broke. A quick check for that is to engage your parking brake and put the rv in neutral and see if it will turn over.
BirdDoggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:17 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
He says:
"All I hear is the sound of the electrical relay sending power to the starter."
That would be the starter motor relay closing.
If the starter motor relay is closing the neutral safety switch would be OK.
I have had on my F53 that very same problem. The starter motor relay closes but does not send power to the starter solenoid on top of the starter.
This can be check very easy, all you have to do is put a load type test light on the cable leaving the starter motor relay going to the starter. Have someone turn the key and if it closes and the test light does not light then you have a bad starter motor relay.
subford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 02:50 AM   #10

Apparently it Turned out to be the starter solenoid, but we put in a new starter just in case.

By the way it took Good Sam roadside assist 4 hours to show up to tow me....whatever !!

Thank you to all of you that posted and assisted me with this issue. VERY APPRECIATED !! Thank you all again for the input that helped.
Markrving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 05:25 AM   #11
Community Administrator

Thanks for the update. Glad you got it fixed.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
f53, ford, v10