Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2013, 08:18 AM   #1

Ford ignition issue on a 2005 Monaco Monarch

I am the recent owner of a 2005 Monaco Monarch(gas burner on Ford chassis). We love it and have really enjoyed the coach. It hasn't been used much prior to our purchase. Everything seems to work great with the exception of minor things like light bulbs, squeaky hinges, that sort of thing which I have tended to and brought back to life. However I do have one problem that I don't know if it is common or what I am looking at. I am new to motorhomes but not exactly new to mechanics so I am trying to troubleshoot myself and need your help. After I turn off the ignition and kill the engine, I have to turn the key one and off several times and the motor spins over longer than I believe should be necessary for it to crank. I turn the key on and off in an attempt to gain fuel pressure. It's almost like I am losing prime. When it does crank it runs fine. Just getting it started is a problem. Anyone else had or heard of this problem?

Thanks for any and all help.
Pearce is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2013, 05:16 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am assuming the engine is fuel injected. What you describe sounds like the system is loosing pressure or the fuel pump is weak. Time for a pressure check. You'll probably need a service manual for your engine unless someone here can walk you thru it.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:43 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Is there a "check engine" on? If so we would need the codes. You say you have to keep cycling the switch and then it may crank after several attempts? Correct? This may be an issue with your range selector switch (neutral safety). Try putting it in neutral and see if that changes the symptoms. Let us know.
mrv8outboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:45 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Oh one other thing as I just saw it was a 2005, battery voltage is very important. Things go askew with a marginal battery.
mrv8outboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:09 AM   #5

I agree re low voltage and fuel injection. Good battery power is important. However, low voltage here usually results in driveability issues rather than long cranking issues. I do agree that you may be experiencing a fuel pressure problem on initial start-up. Most of the newer systems run at about 35-45 psi and should hold that pressure for some time after shutdown. If the system is losing pressure after shutdown, the fuel pump must rebuild it before the computer/ECM will activate the injectors and allow the engine to start....hence, long crank time. Once it starts, the engine normally runs just fine....until the next time.

If it is pressure loss, the two usual suspects are fuel pump (internal one-way valve issue) and/or one or more injectors. There are specific pressure checks that can be performed that will isolate one from the other. It seems these days that fuel pumps are more prone to this than injectors. If the vehicle has been sitting much, however, you may just have an injector or two that is/are hanging up a bit from old gas or crud. One hanging injector can easily cause fuel pressure loss and long crank times.

You might try a good, name-brand injector cleaner additive and take your coach out for a nice 4-5 hour drive and see it it makes any difference. I have used Sea Foam in the past with excellent results....its one of those aftermarket products that actually works. Might be worth a try before you get too far into the mechanics of pressure checks, etc.

Hope this helps. Please let us know how you make out...thanks!
Old 03-09-2013, 09:00 AM   #6

I'm currently at work and will return home Tuesday. I appreciate all the input and will use this information when I get home. I will let you know how it turns out or what I find.
Pearce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:32 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm betting that he's getting heat sink when turning off and that the fuel is boiling (vapor lock) upon restart. To confirm, press the schrader valve and have someone turn the key to ON. Not this will result in some level of fuel being spilled.

If you get air - you're vapor locked.

Anyone know if this year ford has a recirculating fuel system? If not, I'd be looking for the right places to insulate.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco